Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Broken Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/12, 11:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Broken Driveshaft

Has anyone broken the factory driveshaft or does anyone have info on the 2011 or new Mustangs breaking them?
Im fully aware of the V6 breaking them when they exceed the factory speed limiter.
But the only ones I believe im came across were Mustangs with power adders.
Old 9/19/12, 08:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Bump
Old 9/19/12, 09:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never seen a GT ds brake.. but i'm sure it's happened

edit: do u mean just from high speed? / stock motor

Last edited by cinque35; 9/19/12 at 09:13 AM.
Old 9/19/12, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky tires----- broken driveshaft very common drag racing.... There not designed for that so dig into your pockets if u play
Old 9/19/12, 11:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
Sticky tires----- broken driveshaft very common drag racing.... There not designed for that so dig into your pockets if u play
Im just debating wether I need one, I am sure it would be good insurance, but I dont launch from high RPM drops but do cut 1.65 60ft times, heres a video how I launch
http://www.youtube.com/embed/syTPrD3YQs8
Old 9/19/12, 11:49 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice launch.
Old 9/19/12, 01:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also an aluminum driveshaft = big weight reduction in your driveline
Old 9/19/12, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Also, alum. DS = more smoothness in your drivetrain, no more clunking because of intermediate u-joints, and a tiny increase in your MPG due to a reduction in parasitic loss. At ~700$ it's not cheap, but I can tell you that I have 2500 miles with mine installed after 1700 with the OEM shaft, I really think it was worth the cost.

When people are willing to spend the same money on a Borla exhaust for better sound and a few HP, the same consideration should be given for a driveshaft upgrade.
Old 9/19/12, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Also, alum. DS = more smoothness in your drivetrain, no more clunking because of intermediate u-joints, and a tiny increase in your MPG due to a reduction in parasitic loss. At ~700$ it's not cheap, but I can tell you that I have 2500 miles with mine installed after 1700 with the OEM shaft, I really think it was worth the cost.

When people are willing to spend the same money on a Borla exhaust for better sound and a few HP, the same consideration should be given for a driveshaft upgrade.
Ace, any increase in NVH with the aluminum driveshaft? Some say none whereas others have reported an increase in vibration. What's your experience?
Old 9/19/12, 02:39 PM
GT Member

i've been wondering about these driveshafts. I think the Shelby comes with an aluminum one?
If one is going to replace the stick Boss shaft with aluminum does the Ford part fit or is there one brand recommended over some others? Are the aluminum shafts more prone to snappping at the drag strip?
thanks
Old 9/19/12, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

No increase in NVH at all, as I said, it adds to the smoothness. I wish I could say like a 40yr old scotch, but I don't drink the stuff...

I did get an increase in NVH with my MGW shifter because all that slop and vagueness you get in the OEM shifter is there to reduce NVH for the masses. Ford does this for a reason, and I don't fault them one bit for doing so, they are in business to turn a profit and crank out 60+ % of 6cy Mustangs to pay the bills and allow the Boss and GT500 buyers to have an option for such a fine automobile.

I'm not one to have a huge sig with all my mods, etc, but I have a '13 Boss 302, with MGW/heat shield, DriveShaftShop alum ds, Goodridge SS brake lines with ATE Blue fluid, GT500 mufflers, etc. I drive this as a daily driver until the New England winter forces me to put it in the garage.

This has to be a tough mod for most to consider as it's hidden under the car and hard to quantify. You have to drive another car w/o it to really detect a discernible difference between the 2. And without ever having tried one, it's really a case of you don't know what you are missing... I'm happy with my choice, I hope others can make an informed decision based upon real world owner feedback.

I'm not pimping the DSS shaft either, you can get an alum DS from other vendors too, but I'm sold on the marketing hype on the DSS site. Put me down as a happy camper.
Old 9/19/12, 02:54 PM
GT Member

No increase in NVH at all, as I said, it adds to the smoothness. I wish I could say like a 40yr old scotch, but I don't drink the stuff...

I did get an increase in NVH with my MGW shifter because all that slop and vagueness you get in the OEM shifter is there to reduce NVH for the masses. Ford does this for a reason, and I don't fault them one bit for doing so, they are in business to turn a profit and crank out 60+ % of 6cy Mustangs to pay the bills and allow the Boss and GT500 buyers to have an option for such a fine automobile.

I'm not one to have a huge sig with all my mods, etc, but I have a '13 Boss 302, with MGW/heat shield, DriveShaftShop alum ds, Goodridge SS brake lines with ATE Blue fluid, GT500 mufflers, etc. I drive this as a daily driver until the New England winter forces me to put it in the garage.

This has to be a tough mod for most to consider as it's hidden under the car and hard to quantify. You have to drive another car w/o it to really detect a discernible difference between the 2. And without ever having tried one, it's really a case of you don't know what you are missing... I'm happy with my choice, I hope others can make an informed decision based upon real world owner feedback.

I'm not pimping the DSS shaft either, you can get an alum DS from other vendors too, but I'm sold on the marketing hype on the DSS site. Put me down as a happy camper.
thanks Ace. I have an MGW waiting to be put in now so I'll expect some differences in vibration.
What else is needed besides the driveshaft when switching over? How is the install - seems like it would be relatively straightforward
Old 9/19/12, 02:56 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Put in a safety loop and run it until you need one. Chances are the stock one won't break.
Old 9/19/12, 02:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not all driveshafts are equal. You want one with a CV joint at one end [DSS, PST] all the rest are outdated and should retire.
Old 9/19/12, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Not all driveshafts are equal. You want one with a CV joint at one end [DSS, PST] all the rest are outdated and should retire.
I've also seen carbon fiber ones.....
Old 9/19/12, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't have a cv at one end on mine.... No noise or vibration issues .... Fronts
Driveshaft shop.... Ordered threw
Dez racing I also have the MGW shifter it's awesome .... Installation. Is pretty simple and quick very straight forward no tricks .... One day I'll get a Drive shaft loop ..... Should have had one already running 11.4
Old 9/19/12, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twins
thanks Ace. I have an MGW waiting to be put in now so I'll expect some differences in vibration.
What else is needed besides the driveshaft when switching over? How is the install - seems like it would be relatively straightforward
Waiting to be put in? You can do it yourself, and put that money spent on labor towards a new shaft. All you would need for specialty tools is a good strap wrench, socket extensions, 6pt deep sockets, and some ramps/jack stands. If you don't have the tools or are living in an apartment / condo I understand, but if you have any friends or relatives with the space and tools you can do it yourself.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...r-heat-shield/
Old 9/19/12, 09:22 PM
GT Member

I have a steed aluminum one piece ds installed on my car. I dont drag race my car but it is a lot lighter than stock. Also the decel on the car is a lot less when you get off the gas, and less stress on your drive train. I would recommend it, it drives great and feels great. Personally one of my favorite upgrades.
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...iveshafts.html
Old 9/19/12, 10:48 PM
Cobra R Member

I installed a Alum drivshaft on my 04 Mach1 and didn't feel any improvement.

But I might do this for safety sake.
Old 9/20/12, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Waiting to be put in? You can do it yourself, and put that money spent on labor towards a new shaft. All you would need for specialty tools is a good strap wrench, socket extensions, 6pt deep sockets, and some ramps/jack stands. If you don't have the tools or are living in an apartment / condo I understand, but if you have any friends or relatives with the space and tools you can do it yourself.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-h...r-heat-shield/

I know I know. Swamped here with crap. I'm trying to find a few peaceful minutes to put it in. There is a shop down the road that put in a shifter for a neighbor for $50!!! at that price I probably would let them do it although I would rather do it myself.

Quick Reply: Broken Driveshaft