Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/11, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boss wheel hop

Last week I took my Boss to the 1/4 mile. Had severe wheel hop in first and a little bit in 2nd. Being that the Boss is supposed to have "stiffer suspension bushings", I was thinking the Boss would not get wheel hop. Slighlty disappointed. I know if I was better at the starting out, I could eliminate a lot of the wheel hop. Had the stock tires at 22 lbs cold. Ran a 12.9@ 111 mph. Another Boss 302 was there with a better driver and he ran a 12.6 @ 113 mph and had very little wheel hop (better driver). What I was wondering.... has anyone change out upper or lower control arms on there Boss yet. I was thinking that maybe just swapping out the UCA or possibly changing the bushings themselves might take care of the wheel hop issue. I want to get rid of the wheel hop, but I also want to race SCCA solo events, so I also want my car to still handle properly. Any thoughts on this?
Old 6/21/11, 10:13 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel hop

A buddy of mine cured this on his 11 5.0 with an upper roush set-up, bracket and control arm, stock LCA runs 12 teens with DR's, no hop, had it bad prior to this
Old 6/21/11, 11:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First I am hearing about hop on a Boss. Have not run low pressure or quarter mile with mine but it always plants well on the street and track at normal pressure no matter which tire I am using. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/21/11 at 12:12 PM.
Old 6/21/11, 11:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I got mine to bunny hop in 1st on cold tires. I don't do much of that though so not a big issue for me. I could see how a drag racer would need to fix that.
Old 6/21/11, 12:48 PM

I have BMR upper and lower control arms coming. Friend of mine went 12.41 with a little wheel hop but not to bad he said.
Old 6/21/11, 01:22 PM
GT Member

I tried mine and was getting it a lot in the first 3 gears whenever I got on it.
It was cool out and I am going to try again with less tire pressure and hopefully
warmer weather. Anybody here have experance with DR's and how it worked vs
the stock tires?
Old 6/21/11, 01:25 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its kinda of makes sense tho. The Boss is not a drag car. Its a top end motor corner beast.
Old 6/21/11, 01:28 PM
Bullitt Member

The smaller the wheel the better it is in deflecting wheelhop. That is due to the fact that a larger sidewalled tire is more able to absorb the impact vs. a low profile tire which basically absorbs nothing and blasts the suspension immediately.
Old 6/21/11, 01:32 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Try a set of DRs. Or even ET streets. Would like to see what they run with a good 60ft. You may still get some hop on launch but that should take care of 2nd and 3rd for sure. I'm running Nitto drags and don't spin 2nd or 3rd unless I shift early and try to spin it.
Old 6/21/11, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
its kinda of makes sense tho. The Boss is not a drag car. Its a top end motor corner beast.

The Boss is a factory competition style car. Hence the adjustable shocks, which in the supplement clearly states the recommended drag racing shock settings, and if we ever get the Trackkey, the launch control which is mainly needed for drag racing. Let's just say that the boss has quite the unfair advantage over most cars and can dance on just about any stage
Old 6/21/11, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Try a set of DRs. Or even ET streets. Would like to see what they run with a good 60ft. You may still get some hop on launch but that should take care of 2nd and 3rd for sure. I'm running Nitto drags and don't spin 2nd or 3rd unless I shift early and try to spin it.
The class I run is "street" class in a Mustangs only drag racing club. I have to run street tires only. No drag radials. I could run Nitto 555's, but i think the stock Pirelli's are a stickier tire. And I bet launch control would help me also. I think I am going to just try and UCA and go from there. Just would like to know if thats is going to resolve the hop or will I need LCA's too?
Old 6/21/11, 04:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006mach1
The class I run is "street" class in a Mustangs only drag racing club. I have to run street tires only. No drag radials. I could run Nitto 555's, but i think the stock Pirelli's are a stickier tire. And I bet launch control would help me also. I think I am going to just try and UCA and go from there. Just would like to know if thats is going to resolve the hop or will I need LCA's too?
Yes they are, the Pirelli Pzero is Treadwear 220 Traction AA and Temperature A - the 555's are Treadwear 300 Traction A and Temperature A. I have to admit the 555's held their own out on the road course considering they cost a lot less (once they heat cycled). Too bad you can't run them as the 555 come in NT555R drag radial.
http://nittotire.com/index.html#index.tire.nt555r

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 6/21/11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 6/21/11, 04:29 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006mach1

Not sure about the rating but Toyo R888 may be an option. Heard good things about them.

Last edited by AlsCobra; 6/21/11 at 04:30 PM.
Old 6/22/11, 06:14 PM
V6 Member

wheel hop

since I plan on running my BOSS at the drags also, and wheel hop seems to be an issue,as with all mustangs with stock suspension, I decided to do some reinforcing on the stock upper control arm off of my buddies 11 5.0, I welded some stiffners onto the brackets and filled the bushing with some 3M fast curing urethane, will see if this takes care of it before spending 300.00 on a new one, will let everyone know how it works in a few weeks when I go out
Attached Thumbnails Boss wheel hop-dscn2778.jpg   Boss wheel hop-dscn2777.jpg   Boss wheel hop-dscn2779.jpg   Boss wheel hop-dscn2780.jpg   Boss wheel hop-dscn2783.jpg  

Old 6/22/11, 06:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From a comparison of the Roush arm vs. the stock arm, the issue seems to be with the bushings themselves. Roush replaces the UCA bushing with the same type of bushing that is in the rearend UCA mounting point.

There is some odd frequency modulation with the stock UCA bushing that causes the wheel hop.
Old 6/22/11, 06:46 PM
GT Member

What are folks doing to prep for a 1/4 mile run?
Shock setting, tire pressure. I am looking to try again and would like to hook up a bit better this time and have less hop.
Old 6/23/11, 06:35 AM
V6 Member

wheel hop

Originally Posted by 06GT
From a comparison of the Roush arm vs. the stock arm, the issue seems to be with the bushings themselves. Roush replaces the UCA bushing with the same type of bushing that is in the rearend UCA mounting point.

There is some odd frequency modulation with the stock UCA bushing that causes the wheel hop.
Thanks for the input, figured since I had the part to try it on, would just be the labor I spend swapping it out, so what the heck,why not try, so are you saying the bushing on the rear end housing is the same dimension wise, or just that they use the same style-durometor bushing
Old 6/23/11, 09:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billyboss
Thanks for the input, figured since I had the part to try it on, would just be the labor I spend swapping it out, so what the heck,why not try, so are you saying the bushing on the rear end housing is the same dimension wise, or just that they use the same style-durometor bushing
why not consider the Roush (the 2011-2012 arm - I'd love to know how it has changed) upper as opposed to an upper that utilizes a poly type bushing? Obviously there isn't any adjustment but it'll eliminate wheel hop, etc. I have plenty of photos of the bushings in the adjustable arms squirming out and/or tearing, most of them, BMR (of course they claim to have changed the bushing recently, yada, yada). The Roush uses the small bushing that the factory places atop the axle housing in place of the giant marshmallow.

Roush did make some mild geometry changes to the bushing location...

Stocker...

How they sat when I measured them in the preceeding shots...

Material is thicker on the Roush piece as well...

Best part is that the mod is virtually undetectable.
Copy/Pasted from origin.