2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Mustang Drag Race Cut Short After Epic Fail

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/15, 03:15 PM
TMS Staff

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you think that just owning a Mustang gives you the right to hop on a dragstrip and just go for it, think again.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 8/17/15, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That sucks
Old 8/17/15, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are in high times. Most people think they have to make 700 whp to have fun anymore. Or they are chasing some illusion that they can't get beat in a race. Oh...how terrible a thing to happen to my ego. Lot's of people spending money they don't have to look cool. JMO. Glad the dude walked away. Bet that was a fun call to the insurance company.
Old 8/17/15, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Ouch, man that sucks. My Insurance doesnt cover racing or HPDE incidents. He could be on the hook for this himself.
Old 8/17/15, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitePonyGT/CS
We are in high times. Most people think they have to make 700 whp to have fun anymore. Or they are chasing some illusion that they can't get beat in a race.
And it is those people who rarely possess the skill to handle the power, even stock power levels.
Old 8/17/15, 05:40 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Bet that was a fun call to the insurance company.
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Ouch, man that sucks. My Insurance doesnt cover racing or HPDE incidents. He could be on the hook for this himself.
That sucks. Exactly what I thought.
I don't think a lot of insurance companies cover "those kinds of accidents".
Old 8/17/15, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't think they do. Last time I went to the strip they had a sign " your insurance is void if you drive on the track" . One guy had his car towed outside the track said he drove into the ditch lol
Old 8/17/15, 06:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SplitSecond
And it is those people who rarely possess the skill to handle the power, even stock power levels.
Me. Though, I partially blame the traction control and debris on the road - I really didn't have a chance. Just as I corrected and caught the slide, the TC kicked in, stopping me dead in my tracks, which lead to me getting t-boned. The 13k old stock Pirelli P-Zeros didn't help matters...
Old 8/17/15, 06:31 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
"Show me the carfax"
Old 8/17/15, 07:34 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
I wouldn't think they do. Last time I went to the strip they had a sign " your insurance is void if you drive on the track" . One guy had his car towed outside the track said he drove into the ditch lol

Did he get away with it? Many insurance companies are smart enough to investigate local tracks to see if the car had been operated there.

There is a 1/2 mile oval in my AO that runs a "Wacky Wednesdays" event that's sort of a drag race around the oval.

Occasionally somebody wrecks a new car and tires to pull the same stunt only the end up getting charged with fraud.

Last edited by bob; 8/17/15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 8/17/15, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't know if he got away with it lol but I'm sure they investigated they
Old 8/18/15, 12:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Or they are chasing some illusion that they can't get beat in a race. Oh...how terrible a thing to happen to my ego.
I run autocross with mine and compete only against myself. If each run was better than the last (faster, fewer penalty points) I'm happy. I don't care what anybody else is doing. So I run in a class called Time Only. My Stang is stock and going to stay that way. My money gets spent on road trips.
Old 8/18/15, 04:27 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Did he get away with it? Many insurance companies are smart enough to investigate local tracks to see if the car had been operated there.

There is a 1/2 mile oval in my AO that runs a "Wacky Wednesdays" event that's sort of a drag race around the oval.

Occasionally somebody wrecks a new car and tires to pull the same stunt only the end up getting charged with fraud.
Back in the early 80's I had an assignment to inspect damages to a customer's '69 Camaro 396 at his house that resulted from a "hit and run". He even kept all the parts that fell off the car as "proof" for the police report.

I immediately noticed that there were NHRA, Raceway Park (a well known drag strip in Englishtown NJ) and other race related decals on his quarter windows. There were even the faint remnants of his most recent posted ET that he mostly wiped off the windshield. His damaged fender and chrome bumper clearly showed evidence of cement scrapes.....hardly a hit and run.

I discussed it with my boss. He was an avid drag racing fan and participant, and often ran his GTO at that same drag strip. He knew the track personnel there and was friends with the track photographer. It didn't take long before we had photos of the customer's crash, and the damages matched perfectly with the inspection photos I took.

The claim was denied outright and my company didn't pursue it any further. But I'm sure he got his a$$ into a sling by filing a false police report.
Old 8/18/15, 05:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That would suck. I would be sick.
Old 8/18/15, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
We are in high times. Most people think they have to make 700 whp to have fun anymore. Or they are chasing some illusion that they can't get beat in a race. Oh...how terrible a thing to happen to my ego. Lot's of people spending money they don't have to look cool. JMO. Glad the dude walked away. Bet that was a fun call to the insurance company.
I remember when I was 17 and the Ferrari F40 came out with 478hp. I could not believe a street car had near 500hp. Very few people had access to a car with that kind of power (at least out of the showroom). Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, were all under 250hp at the time. Fast forward and now a bolt on mustang is making that kind of power (475 give or take at crank) and is accessible to just about anyone with a license which is a scary proposition. Most people have no clue how to handle a 420hp stock mustang let alone a 600+whp supercharged one. That being said even the best most experienced drag racers, road racers, motorcycle racers, can crash.
Old 8/18/15, 06:12 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by imeyers302
Most people have no clue how to handle a 420hp stock mustang let alone a 600+whp supercharged one.
For those who take their Coyotes to that next level, more power to ya (pun intended). But I'm perfectly happy and content with my NA and stock engined GT. I don't make full use of the 420hp I have now.

But a 2016 GT350 sure would be nice........
Old 8/18/15, 09:48 AM

There is a youtube video out with a guy in brand new red C7 ZO6 on the street that did almost the exact same thing. Took off and shifting into second gear lost it and stuck it into a bunch of trees. Bad things can happen real quick with 600 plus hp... Lives changed in an instant.

Last edited by WhitePonyGT/CS; 8/18/15 at 09:49 AM.
Old 8/18/15, 10:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Was he on stock p-zero's?

I feel for him. Beautiful car wrecked embarrassingly in front of hundreds and now the internet. I'm sure most of us have had our moments pushing these cars to the limit but to have it go that far in front of that many people is disheartening before you even think about the insurance situation. Hopefully he gets right back on his feet with a better prepped car next time.
Old 8/18/15, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
What about trying to explain that to his wife, assuming he's married. Dear I just totaled my brand new '15 Mustang at the track. Insurance doesnt cover it.

You did what!
Old 8/18/15, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Totaled "OUR" new mustang lol

Quick Reply: Mustang Drag Race Cut Short After Epic Fail