Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss near Rockford, IL?

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/11, 05:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boss near Rockford, IL?

I'm wondering if anyone here with a Boss lives anywhere close to Rockford, IL. I have a metal humming sort of sound from the rear of my car, and my dealer has sent in the warranty claim(or however it works) to fix what they think is wrong with it. Ford replied to them that they need to find a car with the Torsen rear and compare the two because it could just be "road noise" since there isn't much sound deadening in the trunk. Now I'm not much of a gear head by any means...but I know what road noise is and what it isn't...and this isn't it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Shane
Old 9/19/11, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

that sucks man- if i had a boss i would come out and help ya but i dont.

hope someone on here is close to ya with one so you can get it figured out soon. thats aggravating.
Old 9/20/11, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a torsen and i get a strange metal hum at around 4,000 rpm. Not sure if its the same but i had someone sit in the back as i drove. He said it sounded like the side exhaust pipe rattling. Double check yours, read somone had one of those pipes fall off on the way outta the dealership.
Old 9/20/11, 10:52 AM
FR500 Member

My car had a metallic rubbing sound from the rear. It was caused by a pitted ring gear. Just got it fixed (finally) yesterday.

The tech drove the car with the rear seats down, and clearly heard the sound. They then put it on the lift and ran the car listening with the chassis ears. They thought it might be the bearings, ordered those, then cracked open the diff, ordered the ring gear, then replaced all of it.

FYI, the type of diff should make no difference to the noise when you are driving in a straight line. The parts internal to the diff do not move until you are turning.

Last edited by PTRocks; 9/20/11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 9/20/11, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah...Chris, I think I have the same problem that you do. They didn't want to tear into my diff because they didn't have a gasket in stock or something to be able to put it back together, so I would have been car-less for a couple weeks. They also wanted to replace the bearings on mine so I'm pretty certain it is the same problem.

The tech at the dealership rode with me as well and clearly heard it, but supposedly they need a car to compare it to before they can fix it...which I think is BS in itself because the noise is CLEARLY not just road noise. It's very audible from about 5mph on up
Old 9/20/11, 10:11 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Nccstud
Yeah...Chris, I think I have the same problem that you do. They didn't want to tear into my diff because they didn't have a gasket in stock or something to be able to put it back together, so I would have been car-less for a couple weeks. They also wanted to replace the bearings on mine so I'm pretty certain it is the same problem.

The tech at the dealership rode with me as well and clearly heard it, but supposedly they need a car to compare it to before they can fix it...which I think is BS in itself because the noise is CLEARLY not just road noise. It's very audible from about 5mph on up
There is no gasket for the rear cover, it is sealed with silicone. The diff doesn't need to be taken apart further to inspect the gears, so they should be able to put the cover back and refill the oil. That's what was done for me. It took two weeks just to get the part though.

The gear part number they used for my car is 8R3Z-4209-E, btw.
Old 9/21/11, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Heh, sounds about right, they don't know what they're talking about. I'm taking it to a different dealer tomorrow so hopefully they can get it all straightened out then. Thanks for the info, much appreciated
Old 9/22/11, 12:35 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone here with a Boss lives anywhere close to Rockford, IL. I have a metal humming sort of sound from the rear of my car, and my dealer has sent in the warranty claim(or however it works) to fix what they think is wrong with it.
Originally Posted by LadyBoss302
I have a torsen and i get a strange metal hum at around 4,000 rpm.
Hi Nccstudand LadyBoss302,

Please work with your dealers and get this diagnosed. Then PM me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Originally Posted by PTRocks
My car had a metallic rubbing sound from the rear. It was caused by a pitted ring gear. Just got it fixed (finally) yesterday.
Originally Posted by PTRocks
There is no gasket for the rear cover, it is sealed with silicone.
The gear part number they used for my car is 8R3Z-4209-E, btw.
Thank you very much for the info, PTRocks!! You guys are great!!

Deysha
Old 9/22/11, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService

Hi Nccstudand LadyBoss302,

Please work with your dealers and get this diagnosed. Then PM me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Thank you very much for the info, PTRocks!! You guys are great!!

Deysha
Thanks Deysha, i spoke with the dealership and they seem responsive, i will let you know if it needs your expert touch. Thank you!
Old 9/22/11, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I just took mine into another dealership 45 minutes away or so. They are looking into it and tearing it apart right now. So hopefully everything gets worked out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 9/23/11, 11:47 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by LadyBoss302
Thanks Deysha, i spoke with the dealership and they seem responsive, i will let you know if it needs your expert touch. Thank you!
I just took mine into another dealership 45 minutes away or so. They are looking into it and tearing it apart right now. So hopefully everything gets worked out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Awesome, LadyBoss302! You can both keep me posted and let me know if you need me.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 9/23/11 at 11:49 AM.