Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Boss 302 on the Speed Channel this coming Monday night at 10:00 p.m.

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/10, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dean_acheson
that looked almost medium blue metallic, and not grabber on the 2013, at least to me.
That was the color of my '70 Boss and would definitely be what I'd order if it were available....
Old 11/23/10, 09:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Watched the show last night from my DVR. Paused it a lot on the '13 color board they showed. Love the Grabber Green! Also like the prototype mule in Sterling Gray. Too bad that Sterling Gray is cancelled after the 2011 model year!
Old 11/23/10, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Watched the show last night from my DVR. Paused it a lot on the '13 color board they showed. Love the Grabber Green! Also like the prototype mule in Sterling Gray. Too bad that Sterling Gray is cancelled after the 2011 model year!
That SG made the hair on my neck stand up, it's one bad-*** looking ride.

The green almost reminded me of a metallic, I'll revisit it this evening to refresh my memory cells.

LQQK
Old 11/23/10, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That was a cool special, I love HDTV!
Old 11/23/10, 10:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got 3 short clips posted on my Facebook page. The quality isn't great because it was recorded off my TV from a cameraphone.

exhaust sound
appearance design
adjustable damping
Old 11/23/10, 10:11 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Speed Channel's summary article:

http://automotive.speedtv.com/articl...back-for-2012/
Old 11/23/10, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Two words - LAUNCH CONTROL
It's not a true launch control. All it does is hold your rpm at whatever rpm you set it for, that is not launch control.
Old 11/23/10, 10:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
It's not a true launch control. All it does is hold your rpm at whatever rpm you set it for, that is not launch control.
What do you think constitutes "true launch control", especially since it is supposed to work with one being able to pop the clutch and mash the gas pedal? At least this is the way I understand it.

For reference, here is the Corvette ZR1 launch control description.

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 11/23/10 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11/23/10, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
What do you think constitutes "true launch control", especially since it is supposed to work with one being able to pop the clutch and mash the gas pedal? At least this is the way I understand it.

For reference, here is the Corvette ZR1 launch control description.
A true launch control would prevent any wheel spin from happening no matter how hard you mash the gas pedal. If I set the Boss "launch control" to 3000 rpm and then release the brake and clutch the wheels are going to spin. True launch control also involves a throttle control.

Here's a description of what it should do-

This device combines the effort of an electronic-driven accelerator and a computer program in the car. The software drives the accelerator according to engine specifications to make the car accelerate smoothly and as fast as possible, avoiding spinning of the drive wheels, engine failure due to over-reving, and clutch and gearbox problems. This feature is only available at the start of the race, when the car is stopped in the starting grid. After the car is running at a certain speed, this computer program routine is disabled and everything is back to normal operation.

Last edited by Whammer; 11/23/10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11/23/10, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

A true launch control would prevent any wheel spin from happening no matter how hard you mash the gas pedal. If I set the Boss "launch control" to 3000 rpm and then release the brake and clutch the wheels are going to spin. True launch control also involves a throttle control.
sorry but this is incorrect. Launch control optimizes the launch which in almost every scenario will involve some wheel spin. The Ford system is one that you would have to play with various RPMs but would accomplish the same thing (depending on what it was being compared too).

So while not quite as smart as some systems (involving throttle and brake control), would still accomplish the job 90% as well and is much better than not having it at all.

The other part of the TracKey not mentioned here are the 302R settings. Remember that the key changes over 200 settings. While Ford hasn't gone into great detail regarding these changes, there are mentions in several articles regarding turning off torque management and so forth. In case you don't understand what this means, drive a foxbody and then an early SN95 to feel the difference. Basically there is more to the key than launch control and more importantly most of the features are not things addressed by aftermarket tuners. I think that you will have aftermarket tuners going into the TracKey reflash and producing more power while leaving the other settings in tact. Time will tell.
Old 11/23/10, 11:52 AM
Cobra R Member

The whole 200 adjustments is just "spin", it will involve a whole host of calibrations that insure the car runs properly (emission sensors, etc.) and it will have nothing to do with performance upgrades per se.
Again- zero increase in HP and 10lbs. of added torque (making it equal to the GT), like I said a VERY mild tune. Eliminating skip shift. The limited launch control is a nice feature but why not a TRUE launch control?

When the Red Key was first hinted at everyone thought it was going to add 30-50HP to the car. Since it adds ZERO HP it can't be anything but a disappointment.

Last edited by Whammer; 11/23/10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11/23/10, 12:12 PM
Cobra Member

When the Red Key was first hinted at everyone thought it was going to add 30-50HP to the car. Since it adds ZERO HP it can't be anything but a disappointment.
Come on now,,,disappointment,,,If the only thing it does is add that cool cam throbbing at idle, then, I'll be extremely happy, every time I pull up beside someone who is familiar with that sound and drench them in, OH YEAH,, IT'S BAD.

LQQK
Old 11/23/10, 12:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The whole 200 adjustments is just "spin", it will involve a whole host of calibrations that insure the car runs properly (emission sensors, etc.) and it will have nothing to do with performance upgrades per se.
Again- zero increase in HP and 10lbs. of added torque (making it equal to the GT), like I said a VERY mild tune. Eliminating skip shift. The limited launch control is a nice feature but why not a TRUE launch control?

It's a mild tune but the throttle response is going to be totally different--and just because there is no PEAK HP increase does not mean NO increase. I will definitely purchase a Track Key once it's available (assuming I can get an order for a BOSS placed, lol)
Old 11/23/10, 12:23 PM
V6 Member

This is probably a silly question, but does anyone know where i can get the hat that the one guy was wearing in the speed channel special on the boss, it was a tan/black hat that had a sweet Boss 302/Ford Racing logo on it?

I want santa to bring me one but I need to tell him (her actually) where to find it, lol
Old 11/23/10, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
that article has a bit of age on it, and some of it's incorrect:

" Ford has added 11 pounds of sound-deadening material to the Boss so that occupants can enjoy the much louder exhaust sound without being completely shell-shocked. "
Old 11/23/10, 12:32 PM
FR500 Member

It would likely be quite difficult to reliably increase the hp given that the current peak is just under the red line. Hmmm, I wonder what the red line should have been????
Old 11/23/10, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
It's a mild tune but the throttle response is going to be totally different--and just because there is no PEAK HP increase does not mean NO increase. I will definitely purchase a Track Key once it's available (assuming I can get an order for a BOSS placed, lol)
This is the way I understood it as well. It's not about cranking up the power only, it also is about the throttle response smoothing, which is something the aftermarket does as well. Also, regarding launch control, I didn't see anything that mentions the stability or traction control software didn't assist.

At any rate, I still also would purchase this calibration for the benefits, assuming it would be $500-$600 maximum.
Old 11/23/10, 12:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
A true launch control would prevent any wheel spin from happening no matter how hard you mash the gas pedal.
I've been drag racing for 28 years and beg to differ. The best launches that result in the best ET's and trap speeds involve just a tad bit of wheelspin to get the motor into its peak powerband quicker. Too much tirespin is obviously bad, but zero tirespin isn't ideal either.
Old 11/23/10, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I was finally able to watch the program today at lunch. So with my HDDVR and my 60" 1080p LCD I was able to get a good look at those color boards for the Boss.

For 2012 they showed all the colors they have including showing the CO and Race Red with the white and black stripe. Curiously they also showed the yellow blaze with both a white and black stripe.

But for 2013 I could actually read the names of the colors off to the left and they are grabber green, grabber blue, race red, grabber orange, and performance white. The LS was performance white and black both with yellow stripes and wheel accents. Which if possible is actually more over the top than the current 2012 LS offering.
Old 11/23/10, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Ummm...it's kind of wrong in a few places. Not that good of an article.

Originally Posted by A10ACN
First, thank you, thank you to all of you who have posted on the show. For those of us who cannot view US television, it is like Christmas early!
Now, it appears from the pics that the colored roofs are gone from the regular Boss in 2013 (YeeHAW!!). Can anyone confirm?? More importantly to me, was there any way to tell if its the same with the 2013 LS (white w/ yellow roof???)

I want a LS, due to the performance mods, so bad, it hurts my toenails, but CAN'T STAND the over done red. That green 2013 Boss is just different enough, while still being true to its roots, to possibly sway me.

Thanks again, y'all!
Most certainly, thank you! The TV screen shots are AWESOME! I am also glad to see the body color matching roofs for 2013. Additionally, I'm writhing in pain I want one sooooo bad...

Originally Posted by LQQK
Come on now,,,disappointment,,,If the only thing it does is add that cool cam throbbing at idle, then, I'll be extremely happy, every time I pull up beside someone who is familiar with that sound and drench them in, OH YEAH,, IT'S BAD.

LQQK
This...

Originally Posted by dean_acheson
that article has a bit of age on it, and some of it's incorrect:

" Ford has added 11 pounds of sound-deadening material to the Boss so that occupants can enjoy the much louder exhaust sound without being completely shell-shocked. "
This too...

Quick Reply: Boss 302 on the Speed Channel this coming Monday night at 10:00 p.m.