2012-2013 BOSS 302

Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/11, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drew, I agree with you that FR will most probably never divulge the changes they acquiesced to from initial TK submittal to final CARB approval. The Mustang Chief Engineer has admitted they had to back off of the initial valve overlap settings, watering down the lopey idle to the disappointment of many. And perhaps the WOT spark maps are identical between both black/red programs indicating another compromise. Having talked at length to one of the calibration engineers in the Spring 2011 timeframe with the envisioned changes the track key calibration would make on engine management, many appear to have not made the final software "cut". The only apparent engine changes reported by owners installing the as-released TK version are engine accel/decel rates and launch control.

Many owners have laboriously explored through dyno testing any inkling of a performance (read this as horsepower or torque) gain (anywhere in the operating range including part power not just maximum values). None has been found. The data speaks for itself. Whether owners feel a difference or not, the measured data indicates there is no change in engine power across the engine operating speed range. Ford never made any claims of a change in either but cleverly stated TK adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control and other engine parametersto provide a complete race car calibration. But as others have insightfully asked, if the spark maps are identical (or nearly so) why now is the 91+ octane fuel required?

Does spending $400-500 for this PCM software tune transform your Boss into what the owner believes is a complete race car calibration? That is left to each owner to decide for him/her self. Our Forum poll indicates 26.3% ((10+5)/57)of the voters are either displeased with the final product after purchase or not going to spend their modification money on this offering due to the input from others. 43.8% (25/57) say they like TK. Certainly not a ringing endorsement for the Ford Racing option but again the numbers speak for themselves.
Old 11/18/11, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Are you talking about these issues with the track key? As far as I know not yet, SCT does not have a read on the track key calibration yet.
For the standard calibration the answers would be yes to all your questions.
Thanks Gus
No track key for me as I am going with aftermarket exhaust, FRP 90mm throttle body and CAI. Maybe some copper plugs as well. Ford says trackey is not compatible with these type changes, so I am only going for aftermarket tune not trackey. Just trying to set my expectations for autocross. If throttle response and torque limiting could not be improved I wonder if the 40 horse gain could make it up. But it seems the aftermarket tune may give me more benefit than trackey and no mods.

So now all I need is for you (Steeda) to come out with that Boss specific intake.
Old 11/19/11, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by davegush
Thanks Gus
No track key for me as I am going with aftermarket exhaust, FRP 90mm throttle body and CAI. Maybe some copper plugs as well. Ford says trackey is not compatible with these type changes, so I am only going for aftermarket tune not trackey. Just trying to set my expectations for autocross. If throttle response and torque limiting could not be improved I wonder if the 40 horse gain could make it up. But it seems the aftermarket tune may give me more benefit than trackey and no mods.

So now all I need is for you (Steeda) to come out with that Boss specific intake.

Aftermarket tuners like Jon Lund can remove all the torque limiting from the tune. My car picked up over 30lb ft of tq especially down low and midrange rpm with only a tune, JLT intake, and exhaust. The car felt so much stronger down low it was unreal. With a tune only you would absolutely feel more than with the key as far a "seat of the pants".
Old 11/19/11, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 12C/OBoss

Aftermarket tuners like Jon Lund can remove all the torque limiting from the tune. My car picked up over 30lb ft of tq especially down low and midrange rpm with only a tune, JLT intake, and exhaust. The car felt so much stronger down low it was unreal. With a tune only you would absolutely feel more than with the key as far a "seat of the pants".
Now that's what I am talkin' about ;-)
Old 11/19/11, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
He can also remove all the warranty from the tune, at no additional charge!
Old 11/21/11, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe true, but in 30 months TK will have extinguished your warranty as well. Two sides to every coin.
Old 11/21/11, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Maybe true, but in 30 months TK will have extinguished your warranty as well. Two sides to every coin.
I don't know how many times it has been said.....a few of which are straight from Ford's mouth via Deysha.......your warranty is not void.....you retain all your factory warranty.......IF trackey is deemed to be the cause of whatever problem AFTER the trackey warranty expires than you are not covered.....otherwise everything falls under your factory warranty...... If I am wrong here show me the proof or documentation from Ford that states otherwise......you can't!
Old 11/21/11, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by adam81

I don't know how many times it has been said.....a few of which are straight from Ford's mouth via Deysha.......your warranty is not void.....you retain all your factory warranty.......IF trackey is deemed to be the cause of whatever problem AFTER the trackey warranty expires than you are not covered.....otherwise everything falls under your factory warranty...... If I am wrong here show me the proof or documentation from Ford that states otherwise......you can't!
That leaves a lot to be determined and in Legalese it gives ford an out on all tranny and engine repairs after 3 years of ownership. Not even 3 years of track key.
Old 11/21/11, 09:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
When my warranty is expired I will definitely pursue an aftermarket tune; by that time SCT or someone should have gotten their hands wrapped around flashing the dual-path PCM we have. In the meanwhile, I will enjoy the warranty I have remaining, if needed.
Old 11/21/11, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 06GT

When my warranty is expired I will definitely pursue an aftermarket tune; by that time SCT or someone should have gotten their hands wrapped around flashing the dual-path PCM we have. In the meanwhile, I will enjoy the warranty I have remaining, if needed.
I completely agree!
Old 11/21/11, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by davegush
Thanks Gus

Coming soon.... Coming soon...