Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/11, 08:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
Did you run BOTH the red and black key recently or only the red key and then overlayed that with the run you did with the black key a few months ago?

I am not understanding your graphs at all.... You say the blue is the baseline from a while ago and the red is the trackey and black key? Are those combined or what? I only see one red line and one blue line....
August: Only black key (red key tune not released yet).

Today: Both, back to back. Then both on 100 octane back to back. The graph posted is a run that is representative of the average of all today's runs (see excel file for all figures). We did like 15 pulls today so that is a cluttered graph. The numbers (and curve shapes) didn't change between red and black keys.

Last edited by 06GT; 11/11/11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11/11/11, 08:24 PM

I have not encountered any CELs during track use or limp mode (I run an open-bar type grille at the track).
Old 11/11/11, 08:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nota4re
Second, having thought about it, my expectation is that both the Black and Red key would yield almost the same exact HP/TQ results at WOT. WOT in both programs is the same specification - optimize the engine for maximum power generation while keeping the engine safe. This is really the only condition that a dyno is testing. We all need to understand that there is simply a multitude of other scenarios that can and likely were altered within the ECU - things like part throttle response, how quickly timing can advance on acceleration input, decel attributes (which owners HAVE noticed), etc, etc. It just seems logical to me that charting the car's steady state cruise at any given speed, or charting WOT (***** to the wall acceleration) are two scenarios that would be the same in the Black and Red Key tunes. The transitional or anticipatory "states" are what I would expect to have the most change - and these are the ones that would be difficult to see in a traditional dyno. We may see some people start to dyno on variable load-based dynos and then I would expect that we start to see some of the differences.

The bottom line: I wouldn't worry about the results you have seen.
This makes a lot of sense.
Old 11/11/11, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
This makes a lot of sense.
I think so too. Can't wait to get it on-track Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11/11/11, 08:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I think so too. Can't wait to get it on-track Thanksgiving weekend.
Have fun. It would have been nice if there was at least a small increase in HP (I had secretly hoped Ford squeezed a couple in ). I haven't had a chance to drive mine on any back roads yet and probably won't get a chance to do so for another week. But with how different it is driving around town there's got to be something in there that will improve the driving experience on a track. After Kendall posted his comment it struck me that WOT is probably WOT regardless of which key you are using.
Old 11/12/11, 07:15 AM
GT Member

What I don't get is if they didn't change the timing advance, then why the need for premium?

Did they just change timing at part throttle?
Old 11/12/11, 07:44 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by zwede
What I don't get is if they didn't change the timing advance, then why the need for premium?

Did they just change timing at part throttle?
Might be to pass emissions. Dunno
Old 11/12/11, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

What I don't get is if they didn't change the timing advance, then why the need for premium? Did they just change timing at part throttle?
Unlike the Ford GT's that we are used to working on, the Boss employs knock sensors. The knock sensors help the ECU to keep the engine out of pinging range. I agree with you that timing is likely to be a little more aggressive in the Red tune but there are still safeguards to protect the engine. Elsewhere, there is a post of an owner that is experiencing pinging at throttle tip-in using the red key and it is not there with the black key - probably an indication that there is higher initial advance being set.
Old 11/12/11, 10:05 AM

When I think about it, the pinging below 2500 going to WOT if really not an issue, as one would be unlikely to be in that scenario on track. That would be a downshift cue if the revs got that low.
Old 11/12/11, 11:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
The red key is more about sharpening throttle response and allowing the driver to feel more in tune with the car. Designed for 'Track Use Only' is stated for a reason.
I just found this thread. It's very interesting you say this.....I just posted the exact same observation over here:

I just went out running some errands (rebuilding a 90 year old toilet ) in the Boss enjoying these "bonus" days up here in the great white North. I'm sure 55 degrees and sunny doesn't sound that great to some of you, but for mid-November it's quite balmy

I ran both keys alternately and no offense, but if you can't tell a difference between the two, I think you need your butt dyno recalibrated When driving TK I feel so much more connected to the car. The throttle response is much more linear, it almost feels like it's directly connected to your foot if that makes sense. Driving with the black key feels much more like driving any old street car. It's very smooth and comfortable, but almost feels like there's a slight lag, or non-linear feel between accelerator input and throttle response. I know I'm going to prefer TK on the track as you just get so much more direct feedback from the engine. I will be interested in more track reviews as you guys get more seat time with TK.

https://themustangsource.com/f813/tr...9/#post6177524
Old 11/12/11, 12:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
When I think about it, the pinging below 2500 going to WOT if really not an issue, as one would be unlikely to be in that scenario on track. That would be a downshift cue if the revs got that low.
True for a road course. Not true for me launching on street tires at the drag strip. I must launch very low to avoid massive wheel spin/hop. Hence the interest in low RPM torque improvement and possible detonation problems.
Old 11/12/11, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Resolution78
lol...... numbers can vary half a year later on same dyno.... thats why when testing things, you should always do back to back comparisons...
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Old 11/12/11, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
It's not the fact of it being pulled itself, it's if the correct install procedure is not done with setting the crank position sensor etc. It can trip a CEL with mis-fire code. I'll PM you the details on what exactly needs to be done when a new clutch is installed on a 5L if you want.
Please go ahead and sent that. The dealer is expected to look at my clutch in the future and this would be nice to have.
Old 11/12/11, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I am just amazed at how some people just dont get the FULL picture on Trackey. It's like going to bed with a hot looking girl and waking up with your worst nightmare. Bottom line is: If this was a tune by anyone else other than FORD and you paid $400.00 for it, and got the same results>>>you would be pissed!! I just cant understand why people are still defending TK.
Old 11/12/11, 06:41 PM
GT Member

Can an aftermarket tuner fix the throttle lag issue? How about deleting torque limiting? How about deleting 155 mph speed limiter?
Old 11/12/11, 07:26 PM

Yes, yes, yes; no warranty though
Old 11/12/11, 07:30 PM
GT Member

Then I do not need no stinking trackey
Old 11/13/11, 07:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by boss man
I am just amazed at how some people just dont get the FULL picture on Trackey. It's like going to bed with a hot looking girl and waking up with your worst nightmare. Bottom line is: If this was a tune by anyone else other than FORD and you paid $400.00 for it, and got the same results>>>you would be pissed!! I just cant understand why people are still defending TK.
I am amazed some of you are saying TracKey isn't producing the desired results when you haven't even driven the car with TRACKKEY on TRACK. How can you possibly know? Do you have split time or lap time comparisons with the black key so you can compare real data? Have you experienced the "rush" of driving with TracKey where you "feel" so much more connected to the car in a track environment?

If you aren't planning to track the car, why would you buy a TRACKKEY? I can see you might want to order it since it's an option on the Boss, but Ford never implied it was going to miraculously turn it into the Batmobile.
Old 11/13/11, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I am amazed some of you are saying TracKey isn't producing the desired results when you haven't even driven the car with TRACKKEY on TRACK. How can you possibly know? Do you have split time or lap time comparisons with the black key so you can compare real data? Have you experienced the "rush" of driving with TracKey where you "feel" so much more connected to the car in a track environment?

If you aren't planning to track the car, why would you buy a TRACKKEY? I can see you might want to order it since it's an option on the Boss, but Ford never implied it was going to miraculously turn it into the Batmobile.
My thoughts exactly......

By the way the Boss changing into the Batmobile is a strandard feature on the Silver cars....
Old 11/13/11, 08:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by adam81
My thoughts exactly......

By the way the Boss changing into the Batmobile is a strandard feature on the Silver cars....
Just remember Robin, I'm Batman

Quick Reply: Black Key vs. TracKey: A Dyno Comparison.