2012-2013 BOSS 302

Anyone lowered their Boss yet?

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/11, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone lowered their Boss yet?

I've been busy and haven't been on the site for a while, so sorry if this has been documented already, the search gave me just the speculation threads. Has anyone installed drop springs on their Boss yet? I LOVE the way this car handles, and I am afraid as most are to mess with the setup, but I have a real problem with the tall stance it has. I want to have a nice low raked stance. I don't have any road courses anywhere near me so for now it will be for personal visual satisfaction, of course if I can retain the excellent characteristics it has even better.
Old 8/15/11, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

lowering

I lowered the rear of mine, with Roush stage 3 springs, 5/8 drop not much but did it for the same reasons, don't notice any difference in the handeling or ride for my type of driving, you can se pics in the what have you done to your boss thread
Old 8/15/11, 01:47 PM
Cobra Member

the guys at BBR said they were working on green springs that are apparently just for the boss. not sure if they are done yet. i refuse to change springs until we know beyond doubt that handling isn't impacted.
Old 8/15/11, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane do you mean BMR? Or is it another company I am unaware of? either way it's good to hear someone is working on a Boss specific spring.
Old 8/15/11, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Handling will be impacted.. That's just physics when you change things like springs. The rate and height will be altered, and that will change the dynamics of the car. The good news is that you are all driving S197 Mustangs. The springs are not drastically different from a stock GT. The front bar is the same, the rear bar is 1mm bigger, and the shocks are different.

There is no reason to have "Boss specific springs" other than to cater to those that think there is something super special going on there. If you think about it there isn't anything that different about what a Boss is dynamically. The little bigger rear bar helps counter the .5" wider rear wheel on a normal Boss, and the Laguna's get another .5" more, up to 10" and they get another 1mm of bar to counter that. (though I think all the rear bars are too large I'm running an Strano Performance adjustable 22mm in place of my stock 24mm one... and I'm not even running my bar full stiff).

In fact one of the biggest things you'd notice is that the tendency for the car to hobby-horse and feel out of sorts front vs. rear on imperfect roads is HELPED by a spring change (if you use good springs, there are lots that are not). Why? Well, the front vs. rear wheel rates aren't synced up all that well and the ride frequencies are mis-matched. When you use springs like I recommend, you end up with front to rear frequencies that match up at the two end much better.

Do I have a Boss? No I don't. And I won't. Cool car, would love to have the engine... stock Recaro's and the Torsen are very cool, but the suspension isn't that much different and IMHO are easy to improve upon. The Engine, not so much (and would cost a lot more and pay off a lot less often).

Last edited by sam strano; 8/15/11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 8/15/11, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

blow-by racing is the company IIRC making the springs.
Old 8/16/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I lowered mine with Steeda Sport Springs and I love the stance and feel of the car. It doesnt feel much different than stock. I wish I had more time in the states to make it to a track day with a stock Boss so we could compare.
Old 8/16/11, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks like I'm following your lead Zoldier, I spoke with Sam Strano and he set me up with the some Steeda Sportsprings as well. I should have them by early part of next week and will install immediately. I am glad to hear that it doesn't get too harsh, I can't wait to improve the stance. Does it have a slight rake to it?, that's what I want..
Old 8/17/11, 02:21 AM
Bullitt Member

It flattens the stance out and gets rid of the rake. If you look for my posts I have a thread called "Evolution of 004". There are some pics in there you can take a look at.