100% getting it! Had the dealer write it on the initial contract
the key or the programming?

----------------
Now playing: Iron Maiden - No More Lies
via FoxyTunes
Old 1/28/11, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't the key need the programming? I would have to answer both! I do plan on tracking it!
Old 1/28/11, 08:19 PM
Cobra R Member

I guess its in the wording. depends how they worded it
Old 1/29/11, 05:09 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
https://themustangsource.com/f813/vi...legend-489400/

A bit after the 10 minute mark of Video # 3 a Ford rep states the red key is included with the car, which leads me to believe the red key will have the "stock tune" until it is activated.

I believe the activation fee will be a lot less than $300.
Old 1/29/11, 07:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
https://themustangsource.com/f813/vi...legend-489400/

A bit after the 10 minute mark of Video # 3 a Ford rep states the red key is included with the car, which leads me to believe the red key will have the "stock tune" until it is activated.

I believe the activation fee will be a lot less than $300.
That's how I interpret it.
Old 1/29/11, 07:56 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

My understanding is both the black and red keys come with the car. You need to have the tune "loaded or activated" by the dealer. I still think it's going to be around $300 all in.
Old 1/29/11, 09:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm planning on buying it. I'm hoping it's less than $300, but either way I'll get it.
Old 1/29/11, 03:54 PM
GT Member

Once I've spent the $48K what's another $300! Bring on the RED key
Old 1/29/11, 11:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the car comes with the track key it will be interesting to see if that is the second or a third key. I always program a third key on my Fords since you need two to make a spare key (post 97). So the question is if you lose a key and need to reprogram an extra will it wipe out the track tune?

If the car come only with two keys it would also make sense to add and program the third spare key before adding the tune for track key, not sure how that will will work if you try to program a extra key with one tuned track key and one normal key. With the lack of info from the begining on track key these are not questions easily answered.
Old 1/30/11, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
If the car comes with the track key it will be interesting to see if that is the second or a third key. I always program a third key on my Fords since you need two to make a spare key (post 97). So the question is if you lose a key and need to reprogram an extra will it wipe out the track tune?

If the car come only with two keys it would also make sense to add and program the third spare key before adding the tune for track key, not sure how that will will work if you try to program a extra key with one tuned track key and one normal key. With the lack of info from the begining on track key these are not questions easily answered.

How are the MyKeys backed up? Are they separate keys? I would assume you would need a backup for the regular and track keys both.
Old 1/30/11, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My key can be programed and de-programed with a normal (black) key, so you do not need anything special there. You need at least two, one normal and the second or more MyKeys but one will always be needed in the stock mode.

I have always keep a third key to save the trip and fee to the dealer if you lose one of only two keys. My question will be - can a third key be programed if you have one track and one non-track key. Second it you try to make a third key after you have the track tune I wonder if it will effect the tune.

What I am hoping for is two black keys like all Fords and the track key being extra on the Boss new. At that point I will make an extra black key then tune the red key (4 keys total). If I can find out how the keys program I would like to just have 2 black and a red but only if a third key can be PATS programed no matter the color of the first two.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 1/30/11 at 09:46 AM.
Old 1/30/11, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
- After delivery, your Ford dealer can reprogram your
engine control module to use the red key as a . Once
enabled, the provides optimal racetrack performance via
a unique engine calibration. See http://www.trackey.ford.com for more
information.
Boss 302 Unique Features
2012 05+
Old 1/30/11, 02:43 PM

Is anyone aware of the actual performance specs for the black key vs the red key? I'd think by now Ford must have released or at least leaked information somewhere.

I sure hope Ford delivers on the TracKey offering a substantial and meaningful performance difference. Feeling excited is one thing, being fulfilled is another.
Old 1/30/11, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1 BULLITT
Is anyone aware of the actual performance specs for the black key vs the red key? I'd think by now Ford must have released or at least leaked information somewhere.

I sure hope Ford delivers on the TracKey offering a substantial and meaningful performance difference. Feeling excited is one thing, being fulfilled is another.
An increase in low-end torque was confirmed. I do not expect any increase in peak hp/torque.
Old 1/30/11, 03:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe increased HP across the power band
Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
An increase in low-end torque was confirmed. I do not expect any increase in peak hp/torque.
Old 1/30/11, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1FAFP90
I don't doubt it will but Ford must have data.

Dyno comps or lap times would be valuable data for the prospective buyers. Ford has made it a point to disclose details on the multitude of tests and drive time on the Boss to lack such information which I assume is at their disposal.

It is not my intention to knock Ford but it does make me wonder after all the TracKey hoopla why its specifics have not been released. If its improvement is limited to low end torque I have yet to read or hear about it from a Ford rep.
Old 1/30/11, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

It does a lot more than provide low end torque.

"A joint project between Mustang engineers and Ford Racing, TracKey adds a second set of powertrain control module (PCM) software to a customer’s Mustang Boss 302, activated by a specially programmed vehicle key. When invoked by TracKey, the new TracMode software alters more than 200 engine management parameters, increasing low-end torque and turning the potent but well-mannered stock Boss into a competition-ready track car. Remove TracKey and start Boss with the standard key, and all factory engine settings are restored for a comfortable drive home from the course.

“From an engine management standpoint, we’ve done just about everything possible to give TracKey users a full race car experience,” explains Jeff Seaman, Mustang powertrain engineer. “It’s not for use on the street – for example, the deceleration is set up to preserve the brakes, and the throttle response is very aggressive. A skilled driver on a closed course will really appreciate the benefits.”

As part of the TracKey software package, Ford engineers also devised a two-stage launch control feature similar to that used on the Cobra Jet race car. Using a combination of steering wheel buttons, drivers can set the tach needle to a desired launch rpm. Floor the throttle and the engine will rev to the preset rpm until the clutch is released, helping aid acceleration and vehicle control from a standing start.

One key, hundreds of changes
Devised during an all-night garage brainstorming session among core Mustang team members, TracKey introduces the concept known as the dual-path powertrain control module. The industry-first, patent-pending innovation allows two separate sets of engine management software to exist on a single PCM, selected through the existing SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) transceiver found in current production keys.

The TracKey PCM software, installed by an authorized Ford dealer after a customer takes delivery of the car, adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control and other engine parameters – more than 200 in total – to provide a complete race car calibration. The result is an aggressive, race-bred driving experience all the way down to the lopey idle rumbling through the Boss quad exhaust.

“Anything that could possibly affect all-out performance is deleted from the TracKey calibration,” said Dave Pericak, Mustang chief engineer. “Throttle limiting and torque management – any daily driveability enhancements are removed and replaced with a pure Ford Racing competition calibration.”

When TracKey is removed and the vehicle is started with the standard key, the PCM settings are automatically drawn from the factory Boss 302 instruction set again without any additional modifications needed – a huge advantage over aftermarket tuning chips and ECU reprogramming. The convenience is useful for enthusiasts who want all-out performance at the racetrack but stock driveability for the journey there and back.

An after-hours obsession
In the early stages of TracKey development, a major challenge was the complexity of installing multiple PCM computers and switching between them. However, Ford controls engineers developed a method to choose between two unique sets of software in a single powertrain control module on the Boss 302: The dual-path PCM was born.

“We installed the 302R software on the same PCM that held the stock Boss software,” says Seaman. “Then the controls engineers developed a software system to activate one or the other, depending upon which key was used to start the vehicle. Really, all the parts to make this work existed – the Ford MyKey® system was already using the PATS transceiver to perform specific actions based on the key used to start the car, and the PCM was flexible enough to handle multiple control modules. It was just putting everything together.”

As the project unfolded, the team was driven by the uniqueness of what they were trying to accomplish, and TracKey became an obsession. Considering the compressed time frame in which the technology was developed, motivation was essential to the creation of the finished product.

“We’ve all been really excited about TracKey, so it came together quickly,” explained Pericak. “The concept was first discussed in spring 2009, and here we are 18 months later with a finished, tested, verified product. It’s a perfect example of what can happen when you get a core, cross-functional team willing to contribute 24/7 to bring a great idea to life.”
Old 1/30/11, 06:26 PM
FR500 Member

Nice read, thanks! Where did that come from?
Old 1/30/11, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here:

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.ph...k-calibration/

Quick Reply: At $300, who is not getting the TracKey