Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

3 inches of dead clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/11, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 inches of dead clutch?

Does anyone else out there feel like they have 3-4 inches of extra clutch travel? Seems like i'm fully engaged well before my foot can leave the pedal.

Just trying to get a feel if I'm the only one or not. Is there anyway to improve this?

Boss #787 is going strong other than I have the front end squeak along with everyone else it seems. Mine's not too bad so I'm waiting for someone to find a solution before i head to the dealership!
Old 9/21/11, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

The clutch is hydraulic. My engagement as well as the other two LS's parked over here occasionally all have pretty quick clutch engagment. Frankly, I prefer it this way. I think it is normal.
Old 9/21/11, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

My clutch feels horrible. I never know what it is going to do..... Lately the pedal feels like it gets stuck while coming back up after it is depressed.
Old 9/21/11, 11:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine feels the same, it's like the top 1/3 of the travel is dead space.

That being said, I have absolutely no issues with clutch operation or engagement. I think it is just a characteristic of this clutch setup. The clutch is extremely light compared to the one in my '06.
Old 9/21/11, 11:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by adam81
My clutch feels horrible. I never know what it is going to do..... Lately the pedal feels like it gets stuck while coming back up after it is depressed.
I have this happen if I try to slowly release the clutch to a much higher gear after high RPM in a low gear. example: Taking off hard at a stoplight in first and second, then high RPM in 2nd to 5th or 6th.

Didn't happen at all on-track where the clutch release was much more abrupt and direct from one gear to another (no skipping gears).
Old 9/22/11, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Absolutely no problems with #94 at this time. My clutch take up is linear without any issues. My '70 Mach1 was like driving a dump truck with the pressure required. People have been complaining about the Boss clutch and Trans but IMHO, they don't know how to drive a car with a synchromesh transmission. I thought my '95 Miata had a great trans until I got the Boss. No comparison. Best trans and clutch I've had in any vehicle. Keep in mind that it's not designed for drag strip speed shifts. It's a Track Car! Also, if you have the "skip shift" interferring with you, maybe you didn't break it in properly. I've never had skip shift activated, nor do I burn any oil.
Enjoy the machine the way it was designed; the Mustang Team developed a classic for us that appreciate the heritage.

Last edited by phytrpilot; 9/22/11 at 12:07 AM.
Old 9/22/11, 05:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I know what you are referring to. The Clutch does not engage in the first part of your depression. My 2001 (SN95) had the same issue, the throw was way too long. It is especially noticeable if you have driven Japanese sports cars where the clutch throw is very short. I put in a clutch height adjustment in my 2001 Mustang and LOVED the result, it lowered the pedal and shortened the throw significantly. You only had to depress the clutch about 3 inches or so to have it fully disengaged. To me it made it feel more like a sports car! I don’t know if a clutch height adjustment kit is available for the 11/12 mustang
Old 9/22/11, 05:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Over 750 miles on mine and the clutch, shifter and transmission has been great, No squeaks or oil burning either...knock on wood.
Old 9/22/11, 06:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
I have this happen if I try to slowly release the clutch to a much higher gear after high RPM in a low gear. example: Taking off hard at a stoplight in first and second, then high RPM in 2nd to 5th or 6th.

Didn't happen at all on-track where the clutch release was much more abrupt and direct from one gear to another (no skipping gears).
YES!! This happens to me to. Say I want to do a little blast in second and then shift into 5th or 6th. When I release the pedal it gets stuck half way up and dangles. I have to pull it the rest of the way up with my foot.
Old 9/22/11, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by phytrpilot
People have been complaining about the Boss clutch and Trans but IMHO, they don't know how to drive a car with a synchromesh transmission.

ummm.........sure if you say so
Old 9/22/11, 11:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tsooby
Does anyone else out there feel like they have 3-4 inches of extra clutch travel? Seems like i'm fully engaged well before my foot can leave the pedal.
Hello members,

This is Deysha with Ford Customer Service. I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford dealer for diagnosis to make sure all is good. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to PM me with your VIN, mileage, contact info and dealer name so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 9/22/11, 03:01 PM

YES!! This happens to me to. Say I want to do a little blast in second and then shift into 5th or 6th. When I release the pedal it gets stuck half way up and dangles. I have to pull it the rest of the way up with my foot.
This also happened to me on Sunday.
Old 9/22/11, 03:05 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"3 inches of dead clutch? "

I read the title and I guess my mind was in the gutter

My normal 2012 gt seems to have a nice catch point. I could say my car has less but I will have to play with it to see.
Old 9/22/11, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

and now more of you have the same issue i have with the clutch sticking interesting. FWIW both the 10 i had, the 11 i tested, and both Boss 302's i drove feel like the clutch only disengages in the last inch of travel or so. It's so apparent that you can actually shift perfectly when on the hoon if you don't hit the floor with the pedal. On the 11 i tested i messed around and at about half pedal travel the clutch was fully disengaged and woudl shift with no grind or binding.
Old 9/22/11, 03:32 PM

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with my car, its just different than what i'm used to (2008 GT was a much, much stiffer clutch, but the catch point was right at the end if travel).

Yeah, you don't notice it so much when you have the car in hoon mode, but in the daily grind to work and back i have a hard time predicting when its going to catch.

Oh well, i'll get used to it eventually. My clutch is definitely not sticking, but i've read elsewhere in this forum where that is happening. Boy, that needs to get fixed!
Old 9/23/11, 06:33 AM

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with my car, its just different than what i'm used to (2008 GT was a much, much stiffer clutch, but the catch point was right at the end if travel).
Awesome! Just remember that I’m here to help, so if you ever need me just shoot me a PM.

Deysha
Old 9/23/11, 07:02 AM

Thank you Deysha. I think it's really impressive that Ford has taken initiative to put someone like yourself on these message board, and furthermore you do a great job! Seriously, Thank you!
Old 9/23/11, 11:55 AM

Thank you Deysha. I think it's really impressive that Ford has taken initiative to put someone like yourself on these message board, and furthermore you do a great job! Seriously, Thank you!
Thank you very much for your kind words! I really appreciate it!!

Deysha