Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

2013 BOSS- who's waiting for it, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/11, 10:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PACETTR

I didn't know PJ was a designer. All this time I thought he was a race car driver

You can call it fierce fuchsia if you want; I'll go with the factory designation
Internal code for it is school bus yellow
Old 6/17/11, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy thread jack batman!
Old 6/17/11, 10:28 AM
Cobra R Member

I concur Robin
Old 6/17/11, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Stopped by the local stealer today to schedule some service work on my truck. 4.6 3V with an exhaust manifold leak. Imagine that. Anyway, thought I would ask about the Boss 302 while I was there. Of course they didn't know squat about a 2013 model but they did have a 2012 on order. Something about winning a lottery? Anyway they were mumbling something about $10k over sticker and they already had 50 people asking about it. Right. Comp Orange w/Recaro/Torsen option. Supposed to be here in two weeks. I'll pass.
Old 6/18/11, 11:58 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
From what I understand, Ford was able to negotiate the licensing fee to $100 per unit.
I've read that in a couple of places.

Originally Posted by goesfast
It was a lot more than that, but that also includes the McQueen Estate as well. Add another zero to your number and you're close.
I find that hard to believe without doc. 5500ish 01 Bullitt's x $1000 = $5.5 million just in royalties?? That's a huge nut to crack.

Originally Posted by goesfast
Don't worry, they will. Ford has a "slate" number which is the minimum of units to be produced. The number can easily be adjusted upwards to meet demand as stamping extra is just a matter of scheduling. Ford had an over run of Mach I's and 2008-2009 Bullitts to meet sales targets (not actual demand).
Yes Ford has to have a serious minimum target in mind to overcome the engineering & testing expense for BOSS. Likewise with the S197 Bullitt as it had unique handling and engine upgrades.
But as to an "over run" of Bullitt's, that is innacurate. Ford said all along they planned 7700 units for 2008 with 700 of those going to Canada.
However, who saw $4 gas from our Saudi friends and the subsequent domino of the Great Implosion that knocked 2008 auto sales way off target? So Ford continued the Bullitt into 2009 but still fell way short of 7700 with only 6500ish being produced. That's only 84% of (published) plan.
Of course they continued to recoup some of their engineering costs by extending some of Bullitt's upgrades into the 2010 4.6.

So after BOSS reaches that min target, Ford can continue the run beyond 2013 - or not - depending on demand and the profit numbers. What I've seen based on posted production number plates, Boss is not selling as fast as Bullitt at this point of the run, which surprises me.

Last edited by cdynaco; 6/18/11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 6/18/11, 01:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Doesn't surprise me. The Boss may have been intended to be a halo car, but it has niche appeal based on graphics and performance.
Old 6/18/11, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've read that in a couple of places.

I find that hard to believe without doc. 5500ish 01 Bullitt's x $1000 = $5.5 million just in royalties?? That's a huge nut to crack.
Yes, that's a lot of cashola to you and me, and quite frankly unreasonable. But Ford had no choice but to negotiate generously or the 2001 Bullitt production (and further Bullitts) would be in jeopardy. Remember this agreement released them from royalties going forward, which is what they were no doubt considering. Half a loaf is better than no loaf. I doubt either of us is privy to the actual documents but is very safe to say it wasn't $100 per unit. Ford would have leapt on that like a high class hooker on buck night.

Yes Ford has to have a serious minimum target in mind to overcome the engineering & testing expense for BOSS. Likewise with the S197 Bullitt as it had unique handling and engine upgrades.
But as to an "over run" of Bullitt's, that is innacurate. Ford said all along they planned 7700 units for 2008 with 700 of those going to Canada.
However, who saw $4 gas from our Saudi friends and the subsequent domino of the Great Implosion that knocked 2008 auto sales way off target? So Ford continued the Bullitt into 2009 but still fell way short of 7700 with only 6500ish being produced. That's only 84% of (published) plan.
Of course they continued to recoup some of their engineering costs by extending some of Bullitt's upgrades into the 2010 4.6.

So after BOSS reaches that min target, Ford can continue the run beyond 2013 - or not - depending on demand and the profit numbers. What I've seen based on posted production number plates, Boss is not selling as fast as Bullitt at this point of the run, which surprises me.
An "over run" usually (but not always) refers to unintended sales units, scheduled outside of its intended run. It's an attempt to shore up sales closer to the slated number. Unfortunately the 2008 Bullitt was released right in the middle of an economic meltdown which certainly didn't help sales targets. Ford couldn't have predicted or accounted for this, thus the over run for 2009 to try to bring the slate number closer to actual sales, which it fell short of (again). There was never supposed to be a 2009 Bullitt (and Ford was a little sketchy on this), but Ford did what it had to. The Mach 1's were a two year run (I believe) and am not sure if they hit their targeted sales or not.
Sorry for the thread hyjacking. Now back to the Boss! I doubt you'll see it produced past model year 2013, but I agree that sales for the 2012 are so far lack luster (I too am very surprised at this), so Ford will no doubt stamp out more 2013's to realize the intended numbers. We should see lots of Boss's come fall and into 2013 at good prices which is good news for anyone holding back for a better deal on one. I think this is once again due in part to higher fuel prices and from a recession we haven't crawled out of yet.