Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

13 1LE Camaro Faster than a Boss 302 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/12, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pretty surprised by this result for the 1LE vs the boss, I agree with most of the above I want to see a head to head with the same driver. I assumed the ZL1 would be a better track car than the GT500 due to that awesome magnetorheological suspension system (it really is amazing tech) but the 1LE doesnt get that. I have no doubt we will get our wish, comparo tests will be plenty.....
Old 8/1/12, 05:27 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpmurr
I love reading Camaro5. They think they got a Boss 302 killer. There are going to be some sad owners come race day.
I say feed the belief, it can only help when I hit the track against one.
Old 8/1/12, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

That's I think a more realistic review. Let's see, weighs more, has less power, and is slower. Yeah, so whatever Autoblog achieved in that video, a Boss on the same day, driven by the same guy, would have been faster.

But hey, C&D does mention that it's cheaper than the Boss, so it's got that going for it.
Old 8/1/12, 07:16 PM
GT Member

There is no way in hell that an off the shelf Camaro ZL1 or 1LE has that good of turn in and mid corner grip without some major suspension changes, and R tires. I like both, but what a mis-leading article/video.

Dave
Old 8/4/12, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Doesn't the Camaro SS 1LE get the MR suspension set up of the ZL1 too?
If so, that suspension alone would probably be worth 3-4 seconds over the
stock SS suspension and the tires are worth another 1-2 seconds.

Chevy is doing nothing different than what other manufacturers do at the Ring with
their "stock" cars and professional drivers.

But like all you said above, the "real" test will come when it's a same track, same day, same driver situation.
Old 8/4/12, 06:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Driver72
Doesn't the Camaro SS 1LE get the MR suspension set up of the ZL1 too?
If so, that suspension alone would probably be worth 3-4 seconds over the
stock SS suspension and the tires are worth another 1-2 seconds.

Chevy is doing nothing different than what other manufacturers do at the Ring with
their "stock" cars and professional drivers.

But like all you said above, the "real" test will come when it's a same track, same day, same driver situation.
No, the 1LE is devoid of the ZL1's magnetic shocks and PTM.
Old 8/4/12, 06:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by MARZ

No, the 1LE is devoid of the ZL1's magnetic shocks and PTM.
It does, however, have monotube shocks instead of the twin tube ones on the base SS.
Old 8/4/12, 06:18 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by Overboost
It does, however, have monotube shocks instead of the twin tube ones on the base SS.
Right, and the 1LE has larger Ø, stiffer sway bars, too, in addition to other bits that set it apart, at least from a suspension and handling standpoint, compared to the standard-fare Camaro SS. I still don't think those parts will be anywhere near as good as the ZL1's magnificent magnetic dampers. The 1LE is also lacking the PTM system from the ZL1, an electronic aid that definitely helped the 580-horse Camaro handle corners quickly, IMO.
Old 8/4/12, 06:35 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by MARZ

Right, and the 1LE has larger Ø, stiffer sway bars, too, in addition to other bits that set it apart, at least from a suspension and handling standpoint, compared to the standard-fare Camaro SS. I still don't think those parts will be anywhere near as good as the ZL1's magnificent magnetic dampers. The 1LE is also lacking the PTM system from the ZL1, an electronic aid that definitely helped the 580-horse Camaro handle corners quickly, IMO.
Yep. I'm skeptical. We'll see if it took GM nearly four years to come out with something to outperform the Mustang. People have been crying for a different gear ratio for the Camaro since it came out.
Old 8/4/12, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe this is good news, perhaps local dealers (Boston area) can stop raping customers on Bosses and GT500s!
Old 8/4/12, 11:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Maybe this is good news, perhaps local dealers (Boston area) can stop raping customers on Bosses and GT500s!
True I hope. So is VIR especially bumpy as I can see that working to the Camaros advantage. Not buying 4 seconds however. Let's get them in a track together, say LS?
Old 8/5/12, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I'm not a Camaro guy but I'm baffled by how well both the 1LE and ZL1 perform despite being heavier and less powerful than the Boss and GT500. I wonder if a well tuned IRS will make up that ground for the Mustang.
Old 8/5/12, 08:48 AM
BB3
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ManInABox
I find that list of times at VIR very interesting......very interesting indeed....
http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/vi...l_raceway.html
That's awesome. Thanks for posting that, ManInABox.
-------Bill
Old 8/5/12, 01:10 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I'm not a Camaro guy but I'm baffled by how well both the 1LE and ZL1 perform despite being heavier and less powerful than the Boss and GT500. I wonder if a well tuned IRS will make up that ground for the Mustang.
I definitely don't see how it could hurt! Plus, if the Mustang can avoid gaining a substantial amount of mass in 2015, it'll be all the better, in my opinion.
Old 8/5/12, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

When I first read about the 1LE Concept I loved it. They showed it with the same wheels,tires F/R,mag shocks, and brakes as the ZL1 and I loved it. The production model does not have any of those parts unfortunately.
Old 8/6/12, 08:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mikes5.0
When I first read about the 1LE Concept I loved it. They showed it with the same wheels,tires F/R,mag shocks, and brakes as the ZL1 and I loved it. The production model does not have any of those parts unfortunately.
It doesn't seem to need them. I see why Chevy would want to differentiate it further from the ZL1.
Old 8/7/12, 08:01 PM

No Way
Old 8/8/12, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

A comparison test will be interesting to see, but the improvements in times are not out of the question for me though.

The Boss 302 alone makes that much of an improvement over the GT.
And the LS model gets another 1 or 2 improvement (mostly because of better tires).

So with the improvements in suspension, stabilizer bars, steering and then the much wider and better tires on the 1LE model over the base SS, I can see several seconds shaved off lap times.
Also keep in mind they added a shorter final drive ratio. In many cars that means more shifting and often slower times therefore, but if a certain car "stock" is geared too tall, and favoring some fuel economy over ultimate performance, shortening the gear ratio may in fact add to better times from harder acceleration out of corners and down the straights.

Will it be enough to beat the Boss 302? Might be close.
I don't think it'll be enough to take a LS model though with the LS even better tires and slight improvement over the Boss 302.
The biggest advantage the Boss 302 will have is acceleration.
The 1LE package does not give the Camaro more power.
So even if the shorter gear ratio gives it slightly better acceleration, it still will not hang with a Boss 302 in the straights or during any kind of acceleration contest.
Old 8/8/12, 01:29 PM

I'm shocked if it did. The only discernable difference I can see is the bigger tire they threw on it. I didn't think the other upgrades would make a big impact. I'm waiting for a side by side test, but its interesting.
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...rst-drive.html
Here are the specs for the 1LE The 391 gear must put it in the gas guzzler teritory
Old 8/8/12, 02:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great. There goes our limited run Boss 302. How much you want to bet this development causes Ford to continue the Boss line as they did the GT500? I believe open track racing is becoming more popular, and now there is an American competitor. Good for racing, good for Ford, dumb to back out of a challenge. But bad for me. I bought a Boss for the fun and enjoyment, but also partially for the exclusivity of a limited run. Keeping fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 13 1LE Camaro Faster than a Boss 302 LS?