2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Winter tires/tpms sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/14, 05:37 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter tires/tpms sensors

The wife's new car will arrive some time in January, and one of the first things I will be buying is a set of winter wheels and tires. Can any of you guys tell me how to calibrate the sensors I get to put in the new wheels to the car? Do I need to buy one of those little beige things that look like a garage door opener that they sell on ebay? Speaking of which, will any of the 315mhz sensors work or do I need a specific P.N. sensor? Any help is appreciated!
Old 12/13/14, 07:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by elfiero
The wife's new car will arrive some time in January, and one of the first things I will be buying is a set of winter wheels and tires. Can any of you guys tell me how to calibrate the sensors I get to put in the new wheels to the car? Do I need to buy one of those little beige things that look like a garage door opener that they sell on ebay? Speaking of which, will any of the 315mhz sensors work or do I need a specific P.N. sensor? Any help is appreciated!
Assuming you need to get the tires mounted, the tire shop can do it for you. Also the dealer can do it, I would like to think they could do that for free considering you just bought a car from them...
Old 12/22/14, 01:28 PM
V6 Member

Hi All, My wife's new GT Premium should be here next week(according to cotus) and I am trying to get the new snow tire and wheel package set to go before then. Here is my problem. No one can seem to figure out which TPMS sensors were used during production! The VIN finally became active in the Ford parts look-up system as of this morning, but the P.N. that's listed : F2GZ-1A189-D comes up as inactive in the parts database! So, without waiting till the car is here, on the ground, driving in the Minnesota winter slop, How can I figure out what P.N. I need? Also, I REALLY don't want to break down a tire just to figure out which sensor they used. I am pretty sure it is a 315mhz sensor but, which one? there are MANY. So, all you Experts out there, screww on your thinking caps and give me some options- PLEASE!
P.S…. As a last resort- if the correct ones aren't yet available, I would even use some that don't have the pressure readout- if it would keep the light out on the dash.
Old 12/22/14, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I would just mount the winter tires on the stock rims. No need to get a TPMS calibrator. Or, call up Ford and get the information you need!
Old 12/23/14, 05:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dave07
I would just mount the winter tires on the stock rims. No need to get a TPMS calibrator. Or, call up Ford and get the information you need!
Thanks for your input Dave07, but That is absolutely the last thing I want to do. I want to take that set off the second I get the car and store them for summer use ONLY(Minnesota winters are a **** on wheels). I have already purchased a set of OEM wheels and tires(2015 18in GT Premiums) for the car off ebay. That guy pulled the sensors and put them in his new aftermarket wheels. That is why I need to find replacements for these.
Old 12/23/14, 07:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You should be able to use 315mhz Ford sensors.
Old 12/23/14, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the guy you bought the tires from off ebay pulled the sensors then why can't you pull the sensors from the stock tires and use them on the winter tires? I mean you can only use one set at a time and so to me it seems as though you'd only need the one set of sensors.
Old 12/23/14, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its expensive to swap things all the time I have two sets of tires and wheels, because of that and I think thats what the OP was getting at, why dismount and remount tires, just set up for winter and summer.
Old 12/24/14, 06:19 AM
V6 Member

Update: I talked to the parts manager at the mega-dealer I ordered the car from. He called his contact in Dearborn, and found out Ford parts division has been getting inundated with this very request! Being a ultrahigh volume ford dealer, he has some pull, and got them to send him 4 from an emergency order that was placed earlier this week by Ford to the manufacturer. If all goes well, I should have them by Jan. 2nd. They are $28 each, so I suspect they are nothing fancy, just a new tweak on an older model. I'll keep you guys posted.