2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Will Mustang Catch up?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/14, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
Right now Dodge has the Mustang beat in the HP wars because the GT350 or GT500 is not out yet and I've not seen anything that suggests that either cars are going to have more HP than 707. While I like the looks of the 15 Mustang, I think the Challenger is a better looking car and I even like how it looks over my 14. For a variety of reasons, I chose the Mustang over the Challenger last year when I was looking to buy a performance type car but I still would like to own one some day. For me personally having the most HP or being able to go around a track faster doesn't mean much to me. I want something that looks good and has enough power to make driving the vehicle fun. I'm glad that Ford, Chevy, and Dodge are all upping their games as it just makes it better for us consumers. Wayne
Ford just did a major redesign on the mustang, do you really expect them to build the , v6, ecoboost, gt, gt350, and gt500 at the same time globally? The mustang is miles ahead in performance and looks imo. And what makes you think ford is not gonna make more hp? The gt500 had 662 hp, do you realize how easy it is for them to surpass the 707 mark?
Old 12/12/14, 02:24 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
You nailed it 100% Martin ! So what do people expect Ford to do ? As the new platform has only been in production for 4-5 months, where as the Challenger hasn't seen a major makeover since it's re-introduction 7 years ago..

So why not have some patience and give Ford time, as they're not going to just stand around and allow the competition to walk all over them..

Ford/SVT will catch up soon enough, just as they did with the outgoing GT500, Boss 302 and Bullit..
Old 12/12/14, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

This "big" by today's standards car weighed 3900 lbs with me in it and with drag slicks ran the 1/4 mile in the 13.60's @ 99 mph.

Holy cow. A factory GTO of that era was 3100 to 3300 pounds. How much do drag slicks weigh?
Old 12/12/14, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You nailed it 100% Martin ! So what do people expect Ford to do ? As the new platform has only been in production for 4-5 months, where as the Challenger hasn't seen a major makeover since it's re-introduction 7 years ago..

So why not have some patience and give Ford time, as they're not going to just stand around and allow the competition to walk all over them..

Ford/SVT will catch up soon enough, just as they did with the outgoing GT500, Boss 302 and Bullit..

My personal take on it is that the real money in these cars is in the standard V6 and V8 packages. It's a numbers game really. Ford is going to sell more GT Mustangs and V6 / Ecoboost Mustangs than anything else. By comparison Dodge will sell more V6 SXT and V8 RT Challengers than any other version of that car. The high end cars like a Hellcat or GT500 get a lot of attention in the press or on the internet but the reality is that they sell in small numbers. If Dodge and Ford had to rely on Hellcat and GT500 sales to keep the model lines in production the Mustang and Challenger would soon be discontinued. I sincerely hope that people aren't making their decision to purchase a Mustang GT or RT Challenger on which company has the higher horsepower halo car that they will never drive.
Old 12/12/14, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7
My personal take on it is that the real money in these cars is in the standard V6 and V8 packages. It's a numbers game really. Ford is going to sell more GT Mustangs and V6 / Ecoboost Mustangs than anything else. By comparison Dodge will sell more V6 SXT and V8 RT Challengers than any other version of that car. The high end cars like a Hellcat or GT500 get a lot of attention in the press or on the internet but the reality is that they sell in small numbers. If Dodge and Ford had to rely on Hellcat and GT500 sales to keep the model lines in production the Mustang and Challenger would soon be discontinued. I sincerely hope that people aren't making their decision to purchase a Mustang GT or RT Challenger on which company has the higher horsepower halo car that they will never drive.
All I can say Rob, is I'm not one of those people who base their decision on which company offers it's higher horsepower halo car over the other..

There's much more about the overall driving experience than just having bragging rights as to my car has more horsepower than yours..

As a 56 year old adult, none of that matters and could care less as 400 + HP is plenty of power for the street, as I don't buy my Mustangs to compete nor use them as track cars.. As I last did that well over 25 years ago..

My reasons for continuing to own Mustangs, is because I've enjoyed driving them for many years and have been hooked on them ever since the original 64 1/2 was introduced.. I always look forward in going to car cruises every year and also enjoy meeting lots of fellow car enthusiasts in the process as well..

That's what matters most to me, therefore I'm more than satisfied with my current 2006 GT and my previous 2005 GT before that..

With all the mods that have been done, I have more than enough performance to enjoy for street use whenever I want it..

So regardless of how much bragging rights one car company has over the other ?

I'll continue to enjoy owning my Mustangs, and if that makes me brand loyal and biased ? Then so be it
Old 12/12/14, 05:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I can say Rob, is I'm not one of those people who base their decision on which company offers it's higher horsepower halo car over the other..

There's much more about the overall driving experience than just having bragging rights as to my car has more horsepower than yours..

As a 56 year old adult, none of that matters and could care less as 400 + HP is plenty of power for the street, as I don't buy my Mustangs to compete nor use them as track cars.. As I last did that well over 25 years ago..

My reasons for continuing to own Mustangs, is because I've enjoyed driving them for many years and have been hooked on them ever since the original 64 1/2 was introduced.. I always look forward in going to car cruises every year and also enjoy meeting lots of fellow car enthusiasts in the process as well..

That's what matters most to me, therefore I'm more than satisfied with my current 2006 GT and my previous 2005 GT before that..

With all the mods that have been done, I have more than enough performance to enjoy for street use whenever I want it..

So regardless of how much bragging rights one car company has over the other ?

I'll continue to enjoy owning my Mustangs, and if that makes me brand loyal and biased ? Then so be it
I agree 100% fastback. I'm 43 now and on my fourth Mustang. I had a 2006 GT and really enjoyed it. This time around I went with the 3.7 V6. For me 300 hp in a daily driver is plenty. I don't feel the need to outrun everything on the road anymore and heck I'm getting right at 22 mpg on average. The V6 has plenty enough power to have fun, at least for me.

Like you I couldn't care less about the whole Hellcat vs GT500 comparison wars. I hope the folks that buy them really enjoy them but in my estimation those are really weekend cars. I wouldn't want to drive a GT500 or a Hellcat as a daily driver. Heck my finances would never allow me to buy one brand new anyway.

So I just enjoy my 3.7 V6. It's a great motor, gets good mpg, keeps the car just light enough to be pretty tossable and from all accounts its a reliable engine so I'm not worried about breaking the 100K mile mark with no problems.
Old 12/12/14, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gah, this is giving me a headache. Could we at least compare similar models to each other? GT (no performance package), SS, and R/T. Then GT (performance package), 1LE, R/T Scat Pack. I guess you can put the GT 350 next, but we don't really know how fast it is. I actually don't know if that is aimed at the Z/28 or the ZL1, since the Z/28 is laser focused for the track and I don't think the GT 350 is. The Z/28 and the Hellcat don't even compete with each other, since the Hellcat is basically a drag car and the Z/28 thinks Trans Am is back.
Old 12/12/14, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
The Z/28 and the Hellcat don't even compete with each other, since the Hellcat is basically a drag car and the Z/28 thinks Trans Am is back.
Trans Am racing never went away Von. It's actually a great racing circuit. I much prefer it to NASCAR.

http://www.gotransam.com/
Old 12/12/14, 09:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Ford just did a major redesign on the mustang, do you really expect them to build the , v6, ecoboost, gt, gt350, and gt500 at the same time globally? The mustang is miles ahead in performance and looks imo. And what makes you think ford is not gonna make more hp? The gt500 had 662 hp, do you realize how easy it is for them to surpass the 707 mark?
No I do not expect them to build them all at the same time and I never said that they should nor did I say that Ford will not at some point surpass the Hellcat's 707 hp. All I said was at this current time, the Dodge has the most HP. No big deal.

As far as looks and performance, that is subjective. While I like the looks of the 15, I like my 14 better and I think the Challenger looks better than both but that is just my opinion. Performance wise, I'm happy with my 14 GT so anything more than it has is a bonus for me.

Wayne
Old 12/12/14, 09:16 PM
V6 Member

The point of my original post wasn't about launching all the best models with the new Mustang. It was really about launching a new GT that was actually faster than the outgoing GT and able to beat the competition and maintaing momentum with a GT500. 15 additional HP isn't enough to overcome the additional weight and drivetrain changes for the '15 GT.

I'm also not talking about ecoboost or V6s but rather pure visceral stump pulling V8 power. The '11 Coyote was great and the '13 GT500 got the entire world's attention. I guess it's Dodge's turn for a little while which is fine. At least it's happening again vs the dark ages of the late 70s through the early 90's.

Last edited by RedGTs; 12/12/14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12/12/14, 09:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedGTs
The point of my original post wasn't about launching all the best models with the new Mustang. It was really about launching a new GT that was actually faster than the outgoing GT and able to beat the competition and maintaing momentum with a GT500. 15 additional HP isn't enough to overcome the additional weight and drivetrain changes for the '15 GT.

I'm also not talking about ecoboost or V6s but rather pure visceral stump pulling V8 power. The '11 Coyote was great and the '13 GT500 got the entire world's attention. I guess it's Dodge's turn for a little while which is fine. At least it's happening again vs the dark ages of the late 70s through the early 90's.

Oh heck I wouldn't consider the late 80's or early 90's the dark ages for these cars by any means. Ford was selling a lot more Mustangs in the late 80's and early 90's than they are now. By comparison the same is true at GM with the Camaro and Firebird. In fact, two door sport coupes in general were far more common and sold in far greater numbers during that time than they do now. It goes without saying that the modern day versions are vastly superior cars so I get the point you're making. But while today's Mustang is a much better performer it also doesn't get anywhere near the sales numbers that it did in the late 80's.

With respect to the performance of the 2015 vs the 2014 and earlier. I think the biggest let down about that is that Ford sort of suggested that the new car was going to be better than the S197 car. This is especially true with respect to the ecoboost car which received a lot of hype. Of course Ford is going to say that though. They want to sell cars so they're going to say that the 2015 is the greatest Mustang ever. Next year they'll say that the 2016 is the greatest Mustang ever. I think we might have been expecting too much to be honest. The performance of the 2015 car is still a great performing car. It's a 435 hp car that can be bought for 32 grand. That's a pretty hard deal to beat. In Europe or Japan a 435 hp sports coupe would set you back 50 to 80 grand no problem. So there is a bright side here no?
Old 12/12/14, 09:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 3point7
Oh heck I wouldn't consider the late 80's or early 90's the dark ages for these cars by any means. Ford was selling a lot more Mustangs in the late 80's and early 90's than they are now. By comparison the same is true at GM with the Camaro and Firebird. In fact, two door sport coupes in general were far more common and sold in far greater numbers during that time than they do now. It goes without saying that the modern day versions are vastly superior cars so I get the point you're making. But while today's Mustang is a much better performer it also doesn't get anywhere near the sales numbers that it did in the late 80's.

With respect to the performance of the 2015 vs the 2014 and earlier. I think the biggest let down about that is that Ford sort of suggested that the new car was going to be better than the S197 car. This is especially true with respect to the ecoboost car which received a lot of hype. Of course Ford is going to say that though. They want to sell cars so they're going to say that the 2015 is the greatest Mustang ever. Next year they'll say that the 2016 is the greatest Mustang ever. I think we might have been expecting too much to be honest. The performance of the 2015 car is still a great performing car. It's a 435 hp car that can be bought for 32 grand. That's a pretty hard deal to beat. In Europe or Japan a 435 hp sports coupe would set you back 50 to 80 grand no problem. So there is a bright side here no?
I was referring to the performance dark ages, not sales numbers. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fox Mustangs.
Old 12/12/14, 09:59 PM

Also make no mistake about it ! There will be another GT500 in the works, just as with the previous gen.. Just can't say exactly when, but my guess is Ford will more than likely launch it by the time the 2017-18 model year arrives..

I also expect to see other SE models during the S550's production run as well, such as a new Mach 1 which hasn't been in production since the last SN-95 model in 04
Old 12/29/14, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by humster21
In November it looks like everyone else needs to catch up. I'm sure the new Camaro will change some numbers, but right now it's mustang!

November 2014 Delivery (sales):

Mustang November 2014 Deliveries (actual sales): 8,728 62% (Pr Ye)

Compared to Competition:

Camaro November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,385 -14% (Pr Ye)
Challenger November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,157 51% (Pr Ye)
Thats from the spike in 2014 sales after people "including myself" got a look at the front end of the 2015! A face only a mother could love!
Old 12/29/14, 04:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the new Camaro hits the streets its going to eat the 2015 Mustangs lunch! Surprising to me is all the 2015 Mustang owners that suddenly dont care about straight line speed hahaha! Must be a lot of previous Honda owners that bought the new Japanese looking Mustang! I would expect a new Toyota Corolla to be slower than the outgoing model, not a Mustang! Im saving for the new Camaro, becouse i like to go fast in a straight line as well as a turn!
Old 12/29/14, 05:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Astenax
When the new Camaro hits the streets its going to eat the 2015 Mustangs lunch! Surprising to me is all the 2015 Mustang owners that suddenly dont care about straight line speed hahaha! Must be a lot of previous Honda owners that bought the new Japanese looking Mustang! I would expect a new Toyota Corolla to be slower than the outgoing model, not a Mustang! Im saving for the new Camaro, becouse i like to go fast in a straight line as well as a turn!
While I'm a big supporter of buying what you like, if you're saving for a Camaro that's great, but why troll a Mustang site putting down a car that people love? Do you have an inordinate amount of time in your life to waste trashing other people's purchasing decisions? How about instead of wasting time here, you should be using the time you have to earn more money so you can buy the car you love.

This is a Mustang site, the people here are looking forward to their purchase or are enjoying their cars and are excited about them. I'd suggest since you want a Camaro, you should join a Camaro site and learn all that you can about your car and enjoy the hobby of ownership like we do here. Have a Happy New Year and good luck buying your Camaro!!
Old 12/29/14, 07:52 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
Yea you should save for a Camaro!
Old 12/29/14, 08:24 AM
GT Member

If you honestly believe your going to be able to buy your 392 scat pack for $37k ? Then it's you who's dreaming.. As the stealerships are going to add their ADM markups, just as GM and Ford do when it comes to they're SE cars..
I actually went to the dark side and bought a Scat Pack (8A) and got Alliance pricing which is 1% below invoice without any questions. It was about $2K more than a equally optioned Mustang with X-plan.
I never considered buying a Dodge before, but when I saw the interior redesign and available 485 hp in the R/T I needed to check it out and was sold once I drove it. The paddle shifters are the quickest I have ever experienced (outside of a supercar) and the active exhaust is pretty awesome (no need for an aftermarket system).

In the end, it came down to getting another Mustang or venturing out and trying a Challenger. Due to this vehicle being my daily driver the Challenger won out since I have 2 boys that need the rear seat room with a useable trunk.

I'm sure I will come back to a Mustang in the future (even sooner if I can talk my wife into getting a GT convertible).

Good luck with the '15 Mustang guys, it is a beautiful car.
What a great time to love horsepower.
Old 12/29/14, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catch up?

" Three tomatoes are walking down the street- pappa tomato, mamma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Pappa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him... and says, 'Catch up!' "

Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman), Pulp Fiction

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 12/29/14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12/29/14, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you know that GM markets the Camaro to the homosexual community. Google it. I have nothing against homosexuals, but the Camaro is one ugly *** car IMHO.

Quick Reply: Will Mustang Catch up?