2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Will Mustang Catch up?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/14, 09:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stulaw11
Would you rather sell (if you're the manufacturer) 100,000 GTs at $35,000 average of 2000 high end models at $60,000. That's why you don't start top to bottom, you go broke. The profit margins on higher end models is much smaller too.

Ford doesn't care, this is business not appeasing the .01%. You shoot for the masses, which clearly is their strategy making this a global car.

Shelby and Rousch will come in and beef them up just like the Stage 3 Rousch, GT500 and GT1000 did. The Mustang is a better platform to begin with being lighter and more nimble. Adding HP is easy.

It's not behind. v6 matches with v6 models. Again you cannot compare a base v8 model (GT) to a upper end v8 model (392 R/T). The GT is meant to compare to the Camaro SS and Challenger R/T (5.8 liter)- the base v8 models. 3rd party companies like Rousch and Shelby will come in and fill in the high HP v8 category (like the 392 engine which is 6.2 liter, not the base 5.8). Unlike Dodge, Ford does not build those in-house and never has so it takes time. Dodge has had years to build up its Challenger lien-up on its current platform.
The R/T is a 5.7 (345) and the R/T Scat pack is a 6.4 (392). The Hellcat has the supercharged 6.2… I get your point though.
Old 12/8/14, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by RedGTs
The R/T is a 5.7 (345) and the R/T Scat pack is a 6.4 (392). The Hellcat has the supercharged 6.2… I get your point though.
Exactly, and Ford has the 5.0 435hp, 5.2 500+hp flat crank in the GT350, and there will be one higher displacement (or supercharged) for sure from somebody. We already know Rousch has a supercharged version in the pipelines that can do 650hp+
Old 12/8/14, 09:32 PM
V6 Member

Exactly, and Ford has the 5.0 435hp, 5.2 500+hp flat crank in the GT350, and there will be one higher displacement (or supercharged) for sure from somebody. We already know Rousch has a supercharged version in the pipelines that can do 650hp+
I get what you're saying 100%. By the way, the outgoing GT500 was actually SVT in agreement with Shelby so it was actually a pure Ford… now, the previous 5.0 GT350s, the Super Snakes, and GT1000s were all Shelby American.
Old 12/8/14, 09:58 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The profit margins on higher end models is much smaller too.
Actually the margins on highly optioned models is much greater. They are selling you essentially a $25k base car with a bunch of fancier equipment (engine, interior etc) and charging $60k.

That's why a dealer will take way more off a high option car than a low option car if demand isn't a factor. They make a lot of $$ on options.

That Scat Pack 392 Challenger seems like a good bang for buck but is not what I want in a "Pony" car.

The Challenger is a good vehicle and is very versatile for a lot of people in the sense it's probably more practical for every day use (big trunk, back seat etc..)

I just enjoy the feeling and nimbleness of a Mustang and is why I own many.

Last edited by Turbo302; 12/8/14 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12/9/14, 12:32 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Exactly my point. Why'd didn't they add more… The GT500 set a standard and the new Coyote 5.0s were street monsters when they came out in 2011. Ford swung for the fences. I think it's cool that Dodge went nuts on HP and that we have a HP race again. I'm just surprised Ford wasn't better prepared with the new model. We've know for a while that the Coyote was designed with direct injection in mind but where is it…? That's all I mean. Keep our car on top.
Have you forgotten about the 2016 Shelby GT350 ? Granted it won't be arriving until next fall, but when it does, you'll then have your 392 scat pack killer with far less weight and with only a 5.2 liter flat plane crank motor that's rated at 500 HP..

The 2015 Roush's are already in production, so for those who don't want to wait around for the 16 GT350 to arrive ? Roush also has it's solution for the 392 scat pack as well..

Steeda also has their 2015 scat pack killers ready to go too..

Last but not least, Saleen is planning to introduce their 2015 version this upcoming February which is rated at 600 HP.. That's providing of course they're still in existence by then ?

With that said, Ford is not going to just sit back and allow the competition to run circles around them !
Old 12/9/14, 02:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't want Ford to compete with the Hellcat.

In my opinion it's not really a car I need in my life, regardless of cost or if I'm able to afford it. Plenty of other cars can go almost as fast, are more refined, cost the same and can go around a corner or two without issue.

If I wanted to spend $60,000 on a straight line go-fast car there are so many other options (like just building your own...or for that price, have someone build it for you...and it'll be much faster).
Old 12/9/14, 09:11 AM

Ford is thinking globally with the current model. The Mustang is highly customizable in the aftermarket and most who do run it on a track do customize the crap out of it. I guess Ford figures just let them do what they are going to do anyway and give them a great base to build off of. Ford's major goal with the first s550s is to get the Mustang into the European market for the first time. Now they have to add European wants and needs to the mix, which for the most part are very different from our wants and needs. Can't please everyone but you can make a boatload of money by appealing to the masses.
Old 12/9/14, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Whats the big fuzz about this hellcat? The GT500 is only off by 60 hp, and it is not a huge heavy boat anchor. Ford can easily top it. Also I am sure ford will give a bump in hp in both the gt and the next gt500.
Old 12/9/14, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mkenny28
Ford is thinking globally with the current model. The Mustang is highly customizable in the aftermarket and most who do run it on a track do customize the crap out of it. I guess Ford figures just let them do what they are going to do anyway and give them a great base to build off of. Ford's major goal with the first s550s is to get the Mustang into the European market for the first time. Now they have to add European wants and needs to the mix, which for the most part are very different from our wants and needs. Can't please everyone but you can make a boatload of money by appealing to the masses.
Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Whats the big fuzz about this hellcat? The GT500 is only off by 60 hp, and it is not a huge heavy boat anchor. Ford can easily top it. Also I am sure ford will give a bump in hp in both the gt and the next gt500.
Exactly, its about profits not king of the straight line hill. No one is going out and drag racing stock whether it be a Mustang or 392 Challenger anyway so its a ridiculous argument.
Old 12/9/14, 11:44 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Whats the big fuzz about this hellcat? The GT500 is only off by 45 hp, and it is not a huge heavy boat anchor. Ford can easily top it. Also I am sure ford will give a bump in hp in both the gt and the next gt500.
Fixed but who's counting? :-)
Old 12/9/14, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Fixed but who's counting? :-)
Haha even better
Old 12/9/14, 11:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
My father can beat up your father. Ho hum.

I don't think that the masses who buy a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford muscle/performance offering really give a rats patootie about neglible differences in numbers that once mattered the way they did back in the glory days when muscle cars dominated advertising, music, TV, movies, and street and strip.

Not everyone who buys a muscle car today are members of forums and blogs.....it's just us car weenies who get our undies in a bundle about such things.

I think the more valid question is why you chose a Mustang over a Challenger or Camaro.

Aside from the fact that I prefer a Mustang, numbers be d*mned, and that I've always identified myself with Ford anyway, I still hold a grudge against GM and Chrysler for the government bailouts. In my opinion anything they develop is tainted, so it is they who have to catch up to the Mustang.
Old 12/9/14, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
My father can beat up your father. Ho hum.

I don't think that the masses who buy a Dodge, Chevy, or Ford muscle/performance offering really give a rats patootie about neglible differences in numbers that once mattered the way they did back in the glory days when muscle cars dominated advertising, music, TV, movies, and street and strip.

Not everyone who buys a muscle car today are members of forums and blogs.....it's just us car weenies who get our undies in a bundle about such things.

I think the more valid question is why you chose a Mustang over a Challenger or Camaro.

Aside from the fact that I prefer a Mustang, numbers be d*mned, and that I've always identified myself with Ford anyway, I still hold a grudge against GM and Chrysler for the government bailouts. In my opinion anything they develop is tainted, so it is they who have to catch up to the Mustang.
This
/thread
Old 12/9/14, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

In November it looks like everyone else needs to catch up. I'm sure the new Camaro will change some numbers, but right now it's mustang!

November 2014 Delivery (sales):

Mustang November 2014 Deliveries (actual sales): 8,728 62% (Pr Ye)

Compared to Competition:

Camaro November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,385 -14% (Pr Ye)
Challenger November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,157 51% (Pr Ye)
Old 12/9/14, 12:18 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I see it this way.

The 2015 is a new design so the design will sell itself the first year or so..

As sales cool off a bit ford will do a minor refresh that will replace a few body panels and enchance the interior and performance a bit for those that were not quite ready to jump into the S550 just yet.

Rinse and repeat until 2025 when ford will redesign the stang again.
Old 12/10/14, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by humster21
In November it looks like everyone else needs to catch up. I'm sure the new Camaro will change some numbers, but right now it's mustang!

November 2014 Delivery (sales):

Mustang November 2014 Deliveries (actual sales): 8,728 62% (Pr Ye)

Compared to Competition:

Camaro November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,385 -14% (Pr Ye)
Challenger November 2014 Delivery (sales): 4,157 51% (Pr Ye)
Yes sir. Numbers. Thats all that matters.

I have now driven the scat pack and the GT...and im coming from an e63 amg...id takr the GT all the way..nimble and aftermarket seems to be better
Old 12/10/14, 09:12 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Not if you're into Muscle Cars; that's all that matters in that genre.

Indeed, there are those that are willing to trade a little bit of corner ability for some straight line speed. Especially down here on the coastal flat lands of the mid-atlantic where the roads are straight and brute power and a great set of brakes rules the day.

I'm sure someone will come along in a post or two to explain to me the superiority of a better handling car but to be honest tire and suspension technology in the current car have placed exploring those limits very high so there is room for cars like the GT350 and another GT500 with both cars being capable enough to place people uncomfortably outside their comfort zone when it comes to attacking curvy roads and the occasional on and off ramp.
Old 12/10/14, 10:47 AM

Dodge really stole the 2015 Mustang's thunder this Spring with their Hellcat launch and then with their new Scat Pack 392 R/T. The new Mustang is a fantastic overall car and a great step in it's modern evolution but it's losing every time in a straight line (0-60 and 1/4 mile). I'm wondering what Ford is going to do to put the Mustang back on top as the quickest car Muscle Car of the big 3.
Mustang Gt 2015 is faster around the track vs the Hellcat Challenger ,I think its more of preference than just a 0-60 time but would be nice to cee a lower no on the Mustang as well but comparing a Gt to a Srt hellcat isint fair either,lets wait for the Cobras shelbys roush comparison
Old 12/10/14, 12:10 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Will the Mustang catch up to what? http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-hellca...bee-1668188207

The Hellcat holds the crown for the most unusable horsepower in the segment. Head-to-head the Mustang GT is quicker around a track--despite being down 272-HP. For $20K less, I can have all the bells and whistles, more options, and still be as fast(er) on the track.

In this test the Camaro Z/28 kicks a$$. If I was looking for a track car--this is the one I'd have. But at $75k, if you aren't racking up the track time, it is a waste of money. A one-speaker stereo and a/c optional--not to mention the cost of replacing that super-sticky rubber, it doesn't strike me as a car you can live with on a day-to-day basis. It just happens to be brilliant at its purpose--fast.

The Hellcat is just too heavy to be a performance offering. With its weight (4450) and its weight distribution (57/43) it excels at roasting tires. At a drag-strip, maybe it can be made to perform, but still the weight works against it. In the Hellcat's favor; it makes a great boulevard cruiser, with more space to offer than a Mustang or Camaro.

Each car has strong points, but as the head-to-head points out; the car that you can live with is the Mustang GT.

PS

If zero to 60 is truly what you are after--try a Suzuki GSX-1300R. It doesn't cost $65K. It doesn't have a hemi. It doesn't have a blower, and only puts out a measly 197-HP. But it it's a lot lighter than the Hellcat and goes from 0-60 in 2.6 seconds. That's 1.1 seconds quicker than a Challenger Hellcat. A 2012 has clocked in at 9.7 in the quarter (not with me on it, I value my life too much). I think the rev limiter kicks in at about 190mph. (Once again, not with me on it--at that kind of speed I would be screaming like a year-year old child with a full diaper!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQd1ffDsJsc
Old 12/10/14, 12:36 PM

How is it moot? Back in 1969 a Boss 302 or Mach 1 handled and accelerated as best as Ford could affordably make it do so. Just like today… The modern Challenger is more of a "Muscle Car" than it is a "pony car". This isn't meant to be a Challenger sales pitch but rather a question as to when Ford will add more stank to the new Mustang. We've heard rumors about a Mach 1 and some talk about a return of the GT500. The SC 5.8 was a fantastic engine! Throw a taller hood on the new car and give us a GT500 or better yet, a NA 5.8 and call it the Boss 351!!
The term muscle car was given to cars which were bought factory stock and given a little tweaking to make them better and faster, similar to the term rat rod or hot rod. No car now a days is a muscle car, hot rod or rat rod and never could be due to all the bs in the car and computers not willingly allowing u to mess with stuff. Go buy a 60s, 70s, or 80s mustang and that is a muscle car my friend. Unless you've owned a true muscle car that you actually worked on to make it the best possible for the parts you supplied the car you simply don't know the meaning.. Harsh but true.

I personally think of the cars now a days being super cars and ferrari's and such being hyper cars just because some where along the line designers made everything look foreign and engineers gave the cars huge amounts of horse and torque. Thus why I consider mustangs challies and camaros slight super cars.

Quick Reply: Will Mustang Catch up?