2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Old 4/13/10, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
  • Slightly smaller
  • Lighter (200-300lbs per Ford's stated goals)
  • Improved aerodynamics
  • Hatchback (seamlessly integrated into Mustang styling)
  • Improved visibility/sight lines (lower beltline and cowl height mainly)
  • IRS
  • DCT (replacing slush box)
  • Unified data screed that would include:
    • OBDII/ECU data, including fault codes, engine parameters, etc.
    • Internet access/integration with nav features
  • Adjustable driving settings (shocks, steering, traction and stability control, throttle, shifting, etc.) with both standard settings and also fully personalizable settings
  • Recaros
  • Full cold weather package (heated seats, wheel, mirrors, wiper lands, windshield washer jets)
  • Keyless entry
  • All LED lighting (other than headlights).
  • DI across engines

Last edited by rhumb; 4/13/10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 4/22/10, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seriously???

Can i just get a car? What is all this CRAP everyone wants to shove in it.

My first cassette player was a boom box shoved in the back seat and it worked great.

Who needs all these gadgets and gizmos in a car.

Of course, I am of the simple is best school. And I don't want to pay for a Mustedes.

Last edited by jarradasay; 4/22/10 at 07:31 AM.
Old 4/22/10, 08:54 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
Seriously???

My first cassette player was a boom box shoved in the back seat and it worked great.
Me too. Passengers? I don't need no stinkin' passengers!
Old 4/22/10, 10:24 AM

Seriously???

Who needs all these gadgets and gizmos in a car.

Of course, I am of the simple is best school. And I don't want to pay for a Mustedes.
However, Ford would like to sell more than 27 Mustangs per annum.
Old 4/22/10, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
However, Ford would like to sell more than 27 Mustangs per annum.
Huh?

You get a mustang out there that is less than $25000 and you see the sales go up. Not one (current model year) on any of the lots in Indy are stickered for under $25K. (i know base price is supposed to be $22K).

I always find much wisdom in your remarks, but you ask for
  • Adjustable driving settings (shocks, steering, traction and stability control, throttle, shifting, etc.) with both standard settings and also fully personalizable settings
  • Recaros
  • Full cold weather package (heated seats, wheel, mirrors, wiper lands, windshield washer jets)
And yet you want it lighter and smaller. While doable, what about the benjamins?

I just see all the additions posted here driving sticker through the roof.

Do we want the everyman's sports coupe / muscle car, or do we want a BMW/Mercedes?

From what I see on just your list above, the price will be near $40K.

at some point putting all this stuff (Rhumbs list is minor compared to the first lists (telescoping steering wheel) ) is going to price the mustang right out of the running.

But I guess I just drive my cars, not use them as computers and iPods and recliners.

(I did have telescoping steering on my 89 Subaru XT, while this was cool it was hardly necessary)
Old 4/22/10, 03:43 PM

Ford has offered stripper Stang GTs from time to time and after a handful of enthusiasts buy a handful, the rest lingered on dealer lots for eons. One of those things that sounds better in the abstract than works in real life. I recall a GTS(?) model, manual window cranks, no AC and all, that enthusiasts howled for but Ford could hardly give them away when they actual made and (tried) to sold it.

Most of the stuff you mentioned that I mentioned would be options rather than standard, so one could still spec out a fairly bare-bones Stang if one desired. But as mentioned, fairly few go for the bare-bones car and thus, a competitive options list is critical for the Stang's overall market viability. It has been that flexibility, though, that has served the Stang so well for so long.

Most of the stuff I mentioned aren't things that would cause undue weight or size gain but would enhance performance, comfort and/or enjoyment. None of this stuff is bleeding-edge, mega dollar stuff anymore either. Stang's had Recaros back in the '80s, VW/Audi among others have been offereing DCTs for years now, highly capable electronic displays/computers can be had for $250 and fit in your pocket (iPod/iPhone) and even adjustable suspension/engine/tranny settings have been out for a couple of years and rely more on tweaking existing ECU software than additional hardware. Again, though, a more purist driving experience would depend solely on restraint when checking off the option list.

Last edited by rhumb; 4/22/10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 4/22/10, 04:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Huh?

You get a mustang out there that is less than $25000 and you see the sales go up. Not one (current model year) on any of the lots in Indy are stickered for under $25K. (i know base price is supposed to be $22K).

I always find much wisdom in your remarks, but you ask for
  • Recaros
And yet you want it lighter and smaller. While doable, what about the benjamins?

I just see all the additions posted here driving sticker through the roof.

Do we want the everyman's sports coupe / muscle car, or do we want a BMW/Mercedes?

From what I see on just your list above, the price will be near $40K.

at some point putting all this stuff (Rhumbs list is minor compared to the first lists (telescoping steering wheel) ) is going to price the mustang right out of the running.

But I guess I just drive my cars, not use them as computers and iPods and recliners.

(I did have telescoping steering on my 89 Subaru XT, while this was cool it was hardly necessary)
Wow, man, I didn't realize that the telescoping steering wheel was such a cutting-edge, uber-expensive piece of "technology." I suppose 2014, just three model years away, doesn't give it enough time to trickle down to the "cheap" vehicles such as the Mustang. I definitely wouldn't want a fully-optioned Mustang GT breaking the $40,000 threshold! Oh, wait...

Last edited by MARZ; 4/22/10 at 04:02 PM.
Old 4/22/10, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

More power with a small gain in fuel economy.
Old 4/22/10, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Wow, man, I didn't realize that the telescoping steering wheel was such a cutting-edge, uber-expensive piece of "technology." I suppose 2014, just three model years away, doesn't give it enough time to trickle down to the "cheap" vehicles such as the Mustang. I definitely wouldn't want a fully-optioned Mustang GT breaking the $40,000 threshold! Oh, wait...
I believe his point was that if most of those options were standard, the base price could creep toward $40,000. That would probably bring a "well optioned" car to $50,000. Thats approaching current Vette territory, wich a stang is not its competitor. If they really would add all those suggestions listed, I would not be suprised it it was close to this cost.
Old 4/22/10, 08:51 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by YSUsteven
I believe his point was that if most of those options were standard, the base price could creep toward $40,000. That would probably bring a "well optioned" car to $50,000. Thats approaching current Vette territory, wich a stang is not its competitor. If they really would add all those suggestions listed, I would not be suprised it it was close to this cost.
I agree, adding every single option from every person's wish list would undoubtedly price the Mustang out of its league. He seemed to be fixated with my one and only request, though, and that is a telescoping steering wheel (nowhere did I say it should be standard equipment -- I'd gladly pay the $10K this option would surely cost). Let's call it what it is, we're talking about a car that, for MY 2011, can be optioned to $40,000+. We're talking about a car that already offers SAT/NAV; heated, power-adjustable driver and passenger seats; a glass roof; a booming stereo with big speakers, but it's the telescoping steering wheel that's unnecessary and something that will surely price the car out of its current market?
Old 4/22/10, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd like to see a telescoping steering wheel also.
Old 4/23/10, 06:46 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
That's a great start. I'd add telescoping steering wheel and / or adjustable pedals.
yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes!
Old 4/23/10, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree, adding every single option from every person's wish list would undoubtedly price the Mustang out of its league. He seemed to be fixated with my one and only request, though, and that is a telescoping steering wheel (nowhere did I say it should be standard equipment -- I'd gladly pay the $10K this option would surely cost). Let's call it what it is, we're talking about a car that, for MY 2011, can be optioned to $40,000+. We're talking about a car that already offers SAT/NAV; heated, power-adjustable driver and passenger seats; a glass roof; a booming stereo with big speakers, but it's the telescoping steering wheel that's unnecessary and something that will surely price the car out of its current market?
No offense was meant. But if it is necessary, it would be across the board, not an option. You are talking about an entire revision to the steering system of the car. In such a small vehicle I didn't see the point in telescoping steering wheel, it seemed the most out of place to me on the list, which is why I listed it.
But the car being described in general here is not what a mustang has been. And maybe that is just it. the mustang i envision is a "has been". The affordable American sports coupe / muscle car. The car being optioned out or described in this thread seems more like a maybach, or a BMW.
People often don't understand the production of cars and think that anything can be an option without affecting the base model. This is erroneous. Having built Subarus for 7 years, every option added adds some infrastructure to the base model to accommodate it. Wire harnesses, brackets, mounts, etc. All this raises the base cost. Every additional part that can be added to a car takes up floor space, requires handling, requires inventory, requires safety stock, requires installation training, requires line capacity, and all that subtracts from the bottom line, so ford has to raise the bottom line to make money.

When it come to changes, I think ICE and luxury should take a back seat to handling, economy, acceleration, braking, safety, etc.

I agree with DI, 4 cyl turbo, IRS, better brakes, even the DCT.
Old 4/23/10, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looking at this, i am very curious, what the need/benefit of the telescoping steering wheel is. it appears that several people like this idea.

I am 5'11 with at 34" inseam and no matter where I put the seat or how far back I lean it, i can comfortably handle the steering wheel.

Typically doesn't leg length relatively correspond with arm length.

Are you guys 6' with 42" inseams and short arms?
That was a jest, but honestly i am interested in the perceived benefit.
Old 4/24/10, 12:48 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

No offense was meant. But if it is necessary, it would be across the board, not an option. You are talking about an entire revision to the steering system of the car. In such a small vehicle I didn't see the point in telescoping steering wheel, it seemed the most out of place to me on the list, which is why I listed it.
But the car being described in general here is not what a mustang has been. And maybe that is just it. the mustang i envision is a "has been". The affordable American sports coupe / muscle car. The car being optioned out or described in this thread seems more like a maybach, or a BMW.
People often don't understand the production of cars and think that anything can be an option without affecting the base model. This is erroneous. Having built Subarus for 7 years, every option added adds some infrastructure to the base model to accommodate it. Wire harnesses, brackets, mounts, etc. All this raises the base cost. Every additional part that can be added to a car takes up floor space, requires handling, requires inventory, requires safety stock, requires installation training, requires line capacity, and all that subtracts from the bottom line, so ford has to raise the bottom line to make money.

When it come to changes, I think ICE and luxury should take a back seat to handling, economy, acceleration, braking, safety, etc.

I agree with DI, 4 cyl turbo, IRS, better brakes, even the DCT.
Sorry for coming across as an a-hole, Jarrad.

I do agree that handling, braking, acceleration and overall vehicle dynamics and performance should be paramount. However, I do not see the next-generation Mustang regressing when it comes to the amount of extraneous luxury features available. The 2011 Mustang, from what I've read, is approaching Audi and BMW levels of refinement and sophistication (partly because of its luxury features, I'd imagine); with the inclusion of the new Sync / MyFord Touch system, I'd venture to say that the 2014 Mustang will only improve in this area. I wouldn't think that a telescoping steering wheel would require too much of an investment, especially since the next-generation Mustang's interior will be, presumably, a "clean-sheet" design (chassis constraints notwithstanding). In fact, the Camaro offers one, so I'd imagine that Ford, since they're engaged in a musclecar battle with its rivals, would offer one too, even if it's just so that they can say "hey, we offer that, too."
Old 4/24/10, 03:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Sorry for coming across as an a-hole, Jarrad.

The 2011 Mustang, from what I've read, is approaching Audi and BMW levels of refinement and sophistication (partly because of its luxury features, I'd imagine);
My '05 absolutely crushes my old '01 in overall refinement and makes my fox feel like a tin can on roller skates.

I believe that Ford is trying to reach the personal luxury coupe (T-Bird/Cougar/Monte Carlo etc) segment without building a car.
Old 4/25/10, 10:30 AM

What I would like to see in the next generation...

- Slightly smaller in overall size
- Lighter by 2-300 lbs
- No ugly lower body black plastic wraparound crap (including the diaper)
- Go even further retro in body style and colours if they can (Ford was getting away from it with the 10-11 MY versions)
- More colour varieties...(especially retro colours)
- And oh ya...BRING BACK THE NOTCHBACK BODY STYLE !!!!

Last edited by Dash 7; 4/25/10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 4/28/10, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

id also like to see the return of 3 bodystyles, such as coupe, convertible, and fastback (or hatchback).
Old 4/29/10, 09:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea three styles would be cool. My favorite Mustang rear was the 67-68. The Fastback profile matched with the hips very nicely. Im just worried that a fastback profile would look out of place on the new generations of mustang. Like the Icocca Mustang. Really wasnt feeling the rear of that car. it makes an already big car look bigger. Which brings me to the black molding around on the newer cars. I really like the way it breaks up the paint and makes the cars look visually smaller. I was behind a 10 V6 in white, and I must say the black molding goes best with the White. It just made the white come out nicer. At leas that's opinio. So I do hope they continue to do that or make the Next Generation Mustang so scaled down in size that it doesnt need it.
Old 5/2/10, 11:09 PM
GT Member

NO MORE RETRO!!!!!!!

These are just my personal feelings and are not intended to offend anyone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?