2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Slip the clutch or dump it?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/15, 08:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slip the clutch or dump it?

So I'm still learning how to drive my '15 GT aggressively, and sometimes really shake and rattle the car when shifting above 6k RPM. Do I want to just be dumping the clutch flat out at such high rpm's? It seems like slipping it at such power would really burn it up good. Sometimes I nail the shift point and you really feel that torque let out, othertimes it just feels "wrong".

The same applies for down shifting, should I be slipping it at all to help rev match or just find it as quickly as possible and hope for the best?
Old 5/18/15, 08:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Basic car clutch operation 101:

You want to go from disengaged to engaged with minimum amount of slippage, lest you kill the clutch.

The enemy of a dry, single plate clutch is slipping. So no, you do NOT want to slip the clutch unless you have to. Typically the start from a stop is where you sort of have to, unless you just wanna do the burnout thing or the shudder start/stop/start bog down thing, your call.

As to the high RPM thing, you want to learn where your rev matching is. This allows you to engage the clutch while the engine RPM and the gearbox RPM for the gear is closely matched. The engine will match RPMs when the clutch is engaged. This simply takes time, but you might want to go learn how a motorcycle clutch/gearbox works, because once you get the whole 'friction zone' thing, then you can relate that to the clutch of a car.

There will *always* be slipping. Always. You just want to minimize it on a car clutch. Motorcycle clutch, not so much, given the multiple plates in it. They kind of need to have that zone be a good thing. Anyway, the zone is what you want to learn. When the clutch starts to engage, and when it's fully engaged, and when it's not. And then, in the car, you want to pass through it as quickly as possible without slipping through much.

So, to me, the start is the problem, after that, you're moving, just gotta let the revs drop down, when you're upshifting. a little. Within +/-500 RPM or so of the target rev matching, I guess. Engine will 'automatically' compensate when it's 'asked' to get with the program...

...or not, maybe. For me and Awesome... I power shift her all the time. Bangin' the gears, stompin' the pedals... Nearly 123000 miles and 9 years later, original clutch. Reason? I have no real idea, except I don't let the slip happen much, I'd guess.

Now, that 1-2, 2-3 gear grind issue... meh. TR3650 tri rail system kinda sucks.

Downshifting is you gotta blip the throttle, and again, know the RPMs needed for the speed and gear. And yeah... I'm still guessin' a little on that.

Just takes practice. Dunno if I've helped or not.

Oh, and the shudder? Probably wheel hop, not the gears or clutch or such. Get a Steeda wheel hop kit for that IRS back end, probably will help with your spirited driving.

Last edited by houtex; 5/18/15 at 08:46 PM.
Old 5/18/15, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't dump it, but don't slip it a ton. A little slip isn't going to kill it, you just might be replacing it slightly sooner then if you granny it everywhere.

When you let off the clutch, do it deliberately, but not abruptly. Don't just slide your foot off but be a little quick with it. You'll probably figure it out with some seat time.
Old 5/18/15, 10:05 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
As the situation requires.

That my sound vague but if your looking to maximize acceleration from a dig your gonna have to slip the clutch a bit so that you don't shock the drivetrain and uselessly spin the tires especially with an engine like the coyote where it relies less on torque and more on revs to make its power. You either bog the motor if the revs are too low or blow the tires off the rims staying out of the bog in either situation dumping the clutch.

Once your going though dumping the clutch is less an issue as your looking to minimize time between shifts and if your speed shifting (keeping the loud pedal pinned and just working the clutch and shifter) your pretty much dumping the clutch anyway in an effort to keep from banging off the rev limiter.

Conversely if your driving fast on a twisty road the same approach once your moving will unsettle the car and make it harder to drive smoothly.
Old 5/18/15, 11:28 PM
V6 Member

So when downshifting we naturally want to blip the throttle since the rpm's need to be higher than where we started. However when upshifting is the opposite true? The rpm's should actually drop down, therefore we dont really want to blip the throttle at all right? If we fail to give any gas at all the rpm's will drop too much and lug the engine causing you your body to jerk forward in the seat (sudden deceleration). If we blip too high then we end up slipping the clutch to match rpm's or otherwise our bodies jerk backwards into the seat (sudden acceleration). The higher the rpm's the faster this process, to the point where it almost feels like you're just slamming the gas/clutch opposite of each other as fast as you can.

That sound about right?

When upshifting do we want to let the clutch engage the friction zone for a nanosecond before applying gas? Or do you want to apply gas for a nanosecond before you know the friction point is about to meet?
Old 5/19/15, 12:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Don't over think it.

When upshifting let out the clutch and gradually press the throttle at the same time. Do this when the rpms are close to where they need to be for the next gear, but try not to let it go lower. I tend to start letting out the clutch a bit before the rpms match so it starts to grab and gradually brings the engine right to the right speed. At the same time, once the clutch has started to grab, the throttle should be gently applied so the engine doesn't start to slow down the whole drivetrain. When you do it right it'll feel like you're driving an automatic.

Downshifting you want the rpms as close to matching as possible, and the only way to do that is to blip the throttle. It will take time to know right where you need to be for any given gear and speed. Again gently (but not slowly) let out the clutch so it has time to get the engine speed right where it needs to be. Too quick and it'll kirk. Once again, get on the throttle right as the clutch is grabbing for a seamless transition.
Old 5/19/15, 07:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
When you do it right it'll feel like you're driving an automatic.
So the manual provides the shift points which are 100% spot on. They are as follows

2nd 15mph
3rd 25mph
4th 30mph
5th 40mph
6th 45mph

When I follow this chart I grease every gear, feels like a dang CVT. However what I need is a performance shifting chart. I've been looking at RPM but maybe I should look at MPH for this as well. Just have 2 modes of driving in my mind with 2 shift charts memorized.
Old 5/19/15, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

I shift about like that...only when I dont want to wake the neighbors at 330 am leaving for work.
Old 5/21/15, 07:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ks5.0
I shift about like that...only when I dont want to wake the neighbors at 330 am leaving for work.

But then your depriving them of the chance to appreciate your Mustang as much as you do.
Old 5/21/15, 08:09 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hschade
But then your depriving them of the chance to appreciate your Mustang as much as you do.
Believe me I "Bless" them with the sound of the roush ab's plenty.
Old 5/21/15, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
This is kind of a odd thread to me!
The more you drive the car the better you will get at shifting it!
And if you don't get better sell it and buy a automatic!
Old 5/25/15, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RunNgun
So I'm still learning how to drive my '15 GT aggressively, and sometimes really shake and rattle the car when shifting above 6k RPM. Do I want to just be dumping the clutch flat out at such high rpm's? It seems like slipping it at such power would really burn it up good. Sometimes I nail the shift point and you really feel that torque let out, othertimes it just feels "wrong".

The same applies for down shifting, should I be slipping it at all to help rev match or just find it as quickly as possible and hope for the best?
I'm going to assume that when you're in the 6k+ RPM range you are going WOT like me. I dump the clutch. definitely. I wouldn't try to shift gears and ride the clutch for a smooth transition when you're that high in the powerband.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 5/25/15 at 09:15 AM.