2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

S-550 2015-2023 Cold air intake Discussion Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/21, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S-550 2015-2023 Cold air intake Discussion Recommendations

Curious what’s a good option for cold air intake for A 2017 gt 5.0 convertible. Was looking at afe. Just a good all around system. And washable filter is a plus.
Old 5/19/21, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Roush makes a good one, air aid is pretty good. I believe most if not all the Cai's filters are washable nowadays. It really depends on what you are looking for also. Some you can get with nice plexi glass so you can see in it with out it being open on top or you could go old school and leave it open (it's the cheapest way lol) you can go metal tubing but then heat becomes a factor. What I am saying is it's really personal preference everyone has their favorite. I have two mustang's they are older than yours (08,07) and one has a Roush and the other has a air aid both perform well and washable filters and I am satisfied by both.

Last edited by Jaryd21; 5/19/21 at 08:25 PM.
Old 5/20/21, 04:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,047 Posts
You can narrow it down a bit by thinking about why you are considering this and what you want out of it.

If you are hoping for significant performance gains, you might want to check into that a bit first, so you won't be disappointed. The factory intakes are really good these days, not a lot of room for improvement. You have a true Cold Air Intake from the factory, so that's not an improvement to be had with an aftermarket intake.

Also consider whether you want a tune -- most aftermarket intakes require a tune, which can void your warranty in some situations and depending on how the dealer manages it. And there is the added cost of a tuner device.

If you want an intake for looks; then pick one that you like the looks of.

Last edited by Bert; 5/20/21 at 04:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
Jaryd21 (5/20/21), Johnnyg65 (5/25/21)
Old 5/20/21, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
You can narrow it down a bit by thinking about why you are considering this and what you want out of it.

If you are hoping for significant performance gains, you might want to check into that a bit first, so you won't be disappointed. The factory intakes are really good these days, not a lot of room for improvement. You have a true Cold Air Intake from the factory, so that's not an improvement to be had with an aftermarket intake.

Also consider whether you want a tune -- most aftermarket intakes require a tune, which can void your warranty in some situations and depending on how the dealer manages it. And there is the added cost of a tuner device.

Thanks. Yes I been reading about the different types and some needing a time with intake Where others do not. Some come with smaller intake insert but requiring a tune but removing that then requires a tube. Yes I do know the juice isn’t really worth the squeeze in some ways but making it breath front and rear doesn’t hurt. Yes just got into reading a article about the stock air box vs cold air intake and actual intake air temperatures . But in some cases the temps where greater with cai but there is more volume of air . There are many pros and cons. But funny thing is there must be something to be said to benefit from a cai cuz there are a lot of them out there and a enough manufactures making them. But I’m not a fan of the open design and water coming in the hot air extraction vents getting in the air box like the oh soo expensive roush cai. Funny the roush cai for 18 on out is now covered with a sealed lid . Having an open top makes no sense as In the other versions of the roush. And perhaps they figured that out. Still on the fence with this. There’s a few that are a true sealed cai. And yes stock box isn’t that bad. So future plans to get a tune may be in the works. Thanks again for the added opinion and response.
Old 5/24/21, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I have a 2019 GT convertible auto & I run the open-element with the tune - night & day difference over stock https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-39...power-pack-bdx

We also have the closed box ... but here is a nice video explaining the differences:

Let me know if I can help answer any questions at tim@steeda.com

TJ

The following users liked this post:
Johnnyg65 (5/25/21)
Old 5/25/21, 09:35 AM

CAÍ w/o a tune worth it?

I have a 2018 ecoboost and need to add more hours power and was researching CAÍ, Blow off valve and mod exhaust. Based on what I’m seeing, there’s little benefit of an after market CAÍ without the Tune, which is what you hinted to here. Besides I don’t want to void my extended warranty. What’s your take or recommendation on the blow off valve, and what exhaust do u recommend for a mid level sound (don’t want anything too loud) that will increase power? Thanks in advance for your time.

Originally Posted by Bert

Old 5/25/21, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,047 Posts
I don't know the specifics for turbocharged engines; but I'm pretty sure that other modifications like changing the blow-off valve will void the warranty also (because it can potentially over-stress the engine) . . . you might get better response if you start a new thread with a clear subject line specific to your questions
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
Jaryd21 (5/25/21), Johnnyg65 (5/25/21)