2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Rattle coming from convertible top.

Old 5/16/15, 10:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle coming from convertible top.

Hi. so I owned my car for about 2 weeks and put 300 miles on it. It's a Ecoboost convertible. When the top is up, there is a rattle coming from where the top meets the windshield on the driver's side. When the top is down, I don't hear anything. When the window is down and the roof is up I still hear it. The noise is very annoying, this is my first convertible and I don't know how to fix this problem. Is there anything I can use...such as a spray or something to fix this?

Last edited by Will3212; 5/16/15 at 10:17 PM.
Old 5/17/15, 05:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
It should be covered under warranty at this point.
Old 5/18/15, 09:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
Hi. so I owned my car for about 2 weeks and put 300 miles on it. It's a Ecoboost convertible. When the top is up, there is a rattle coming from where the top meets the windshield on the driver's side. When the top is down, I don't hear anything. When the window is down and the roof is up I still hear it. The noise is very annoying, this is my first convertible and I don't know how to fix this problem. Is there anything I can use...such as a spray or something to fix this?
You should bring it into your dealer and get it checked out, Will3212. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can loop the service manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 5/18/15, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I tried some WD40 didn't work, then tried Vaseline where the top meets the wind shield trim area, still no good. I really listened for it driving home today and it's more of a squeak, like 2 plastic pieces rubbing against each other whenever the car goes over a rough road. It's on the driver's side right by the window, and it's coming from where the top meets the windshield. When I picked up the car this squeak wasn't there but the weather was warmer, 80+ degrees, today was 60. I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 6/10/15, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I just got the car back from dealership and the rattle is still there. It came out worse, now the plastic trim pieces don't line up when you bring the roof back up.
Old 6/12/15, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

ok so car is back in the dealer, the dealer is very nice. They provided me with another loaner car while they're working on my car. The dealer is Tower Ford in Great Neck NY. I test drove with the tech. today and he heard the rattle/squeak again, I also told him about the plastic trim pieces sticking out from his last job. He told me last time he lubed up the joints but this did nothing. The noise is not coming from where the top meets the wind shield, but just behind it on the driver's side only. I have to drive the Ford Focus loaner over the weekend, hopefully the repair will be done soon. There are many 2015 convertible owners here, I'm the only one with this problem?

Last edited by Will3212; 6/12/15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 6/17/15, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Dealer called today and said they have to order a new panel, part won't get there for a week. I'm going to pick up my car tomorrow morning, then bring it back when the part gets there. The service rep. wasn't sure what the part was but I'm assuming its some plastic trim panel. So far very good service from the service dept. at Tower Ford, I just hope this rattle gets taken care of so I don't have to keep going back and forth.

Last edited by Will3212; 6/17/15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 6/19/15, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

So I found out what the part is. It's the panel where the 2 clamps, clamp down onto the windshield when you twist the handle to open/close the roof. I got my car back yesterday only to find my driver's seat is scratched up on the side. I told them about this and they said they'll repair the leather when I bring my car back in for the panel. Hope they actually do repair it.
Old 4/20/16, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Will3212
So I found out what the part is. It's the panel where the 2 clamps, clamp down onto the windshield when you twist the handle to open/close the roof. I got my car back yesterday only to find my driver's seat is scratched up on the side. I told them about this and they said they'll repair the leather when I bring my car back in for the panel. Hope they actually do repair it.
Hi there,
I have a 2014 Mustang GT/CS convertible and am having the same problem as you are. Was wondering if the problem has gone away since you replaced the panel?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 4/20/16, 08:16 AM

I have owned many convertibles in my life including my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang. I have never experienced the problem you are having. Don't stop hounding the dealer until it is 100% fixed. There is nothing worse than paying all that money for a new car and being aggravated by something being wrong.
Old 4/20/16, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tangofoxtrot5
I have owned many convertibles in my life including my 2015 Ecoboost Mustang. I have never experienced the problem you are having. Don't stop hounding the dealer until it is 100% fixed. There is nothing worse than paying all that money for a new car and being aggravated by something being wrong.
Thank you Tangofoxtrot5,
I am definitely taking it back to the dealer. What I didn't mention is last year I took it into them because the roof was not lining up properly when I put it up. They sent it out to a company that specializes in convertible roofs, and when I got it back it was perfect. Since I store my Mustang in the winter, I took out for the first time last week and notices the rattle whenever I went over some bumps.
I will be making an appointment with the dealer for next week.
Old 5/1/18, 12:38 PM

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the same issue with a 2015 model - the rattling comes and goes. If there is a rattle, I sometimes can open the top and close it and then the rattle is gone. Have tried applying lube but so far nothing has helped...