2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/13, 10:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 13GetThere
As I understand it, Ford discontinued production of the greatest 4 door sedan ever made because of low sales. Only old people and police departments were buying them. And to think that all it needed was the Coyote V8 and the police package suspension and brakes to save it. I'm talking about the Ford Crown Victoria of course. Best darned car I ever drove and never owned. No, it wasn't the fastest or the best cornering car, but it had a comfortable and firm ride, went places, and did things that few other cars could do. It wasn't the best at any one thing, but it was good at all of them. I hate to say this, but if I could have bought a police package Crown Vic with the Coyote in it, I wouldn't own a Mustang.
Buy a used P71 and do a swap?

If I ever come up on an extra $20k, that's exactly what I'll be doing...
Old 1/1/14, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I understand it, Ford discontinued production of the greatest 4 door sedan ever made because of low sales. Only old people and police departments were buying them. And to think that all it needed was the Coyote V8 and the police package suspension and brakes to save it.
I'm talking about the Ford Crown Victoria of course. Best darned car I ever drove and never owned. No, it wasn't the fastest or the best cornering car, but it had a comfortable and firm ride, went places, and did things that few other cars could do. It wasn't the best at any one thing, but it was good at all of them.
I hate to say this, but if I could have bought a police package Crown Vic with the Coyote in it, I wouldn't own a Mustang.
Wow calling a CrownVic the greatest 4 dr. sedan ever is almost comical. The reason no one was buying it is they were all in BMW 3/5 series sedans or C/E class Mercs. It needed a lot more than just the 5.0L Coyote and police suspension to save it. The only reason Ford kept it around as long as it did was the livery business (Lincoln Towncar) and Police. Otherwise the Panther chassis would have died along time ago.

Last edited by Dave07997S; 1/1/14 at 06:36 AM.
Old 1/1/14, 07:35 PM
Cobra Member

As I understand it, Ford discontinued production of the greatest 4 door sedan ever made because of low sales. Only old people and police departments were buying them. And to think that all it needed was the Coyote V8 and the police package suspension and brakes to save it.
I'm talking about the Ford Crown Victoria of course. Best darned car I ever drove and never owned. No, it wasn't the fastest or the best cornering car, but it had a comfortable and firm ride, went places, and did things that few other cars could do. It wasn't the best at any one thing, but it was good at all of them.
I hate to say this, but if I could have bought a police package Crown Vic with the Coyote in it, I wouldn't own a Mustang.

I would be very interested in a 5.0 high performance 4 door with sports suspension. It's just my opinion but the Crown Vic is way to large to be that car.. It isn't just my opinion that the Crown Vic is by no appreciable measure the greatest 4 door sedan ever. Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Audi... have all made pretty outstanding 4 door sedans which outperform the vic by all performance metrics..

As I posted on another thread I just drove the Chevy SS recently, really nice American 4 door.
Old 1/1/14, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Wow calling a CrownVic the greatest 4 dr. sedan ever is almost comical. The reason no one was buying it is they were all in BMW 3/5 series sedans or C/E class Mercs. It needed a lot more than just the 5.0L Coyote and police suspension to save it. The only reason Ford kept it around as long as it did was the livery business (Lincoln Towncar) and Police. Otherwise the Panther chassis would have died along time ago.
This was my reaction as well. The crown Vic didn't sell because it was a horribly outdated and ugly looking boat.
Old 1/2/14, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fox9350

This was my reaction as well. The crown Vic didn't sell because it was a horribly outdated and ugly looking boat.
This^, the CV was also probably the AARP fleet car - didn't it still have a Flexible Flyer class body-on-frame chassis, never mind the last auto refuge for a buggy axle save for the Stang. Definitely was outclassed on all significant fronts when put out to pasture.

The DEW/LS platform was very good and had a lot of potential, but it existed during Ford's "good enough" years and was not developed to its full potential and sort of withered on the vine due to neglect. Imagine what a supercharger and good suspension package would have done - a domestic M5/AMG competitor.
Old 1/2/14, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Any word on the rear brakes yet? Have they been upgraded?
Old 1/2/14, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n
I would be very interested in a 5.0 high performance 4 door with sports suspension. It's just my opinion but the Crown Vic is way to large to be that car.. It isn't just my opinion that the Crown Vic is by no appreciable measure the greatest 4 door sedan ever. Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Audi... have all made pretty outstanding 4 door sedans which outperform the vic by all performance metrics..

As I posted on another thread I just drove the Chevy SS recently, really nice American 4 door.
Correction... really nice Aussie 4 door.
Old 1/3/14, 05:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
This^, the CV was also probably the AARP fleet car - didn't it still have a Flexible Flyer class body-on-frame chassis, never mind the last auto refuge for a buggy axle save for the Stang. Definitely was outclassed on all significant fronts when put out to pasture.

The DEW/LS platform was very good and had a lot of potential, but it existed during Ford's "good enough" years and was not developed to its full potential and sort of withered on the vine due to neglect. Imagine what a supercharger and good suspension package would have done - a domestic M5/AMG competitor.
Just ask the body men about "the flexible flyer frame" in the VICS, the Charger police are the biggest POS that ever rolled with a badge, if they bottom out hard they buckle the ROOF and rear quarters! The Crown Vics can take a hit and keep going. All the Vic needed was more ooomph, as in Coyote. My two sons are VA Troopers, one with a Taurus, one with a VIC. Guess which is the preferred car of the State Police? Durability, the Vic, hands down. The Taurus AWD out accelerates it, (NA 240hp V-6) and out handles it, but without a question, won't outlast it. Forget Chrsyler, they are in the shop more than on the road. So far the Police Caprice is doing a good job, they are fast as snot too, but the jury is out on reliabiity!
Old 1/3/14, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN 13
Just ask the body men about "the flexible flyer frame" in the VICS, the Charger police are the biggest POS that ever rolled with a badge, if they bottom out hard they buckle the ROOF and rear quarters! The Crown Vics can take a hit and keep going. All the Vic needed was more ooomph, as in Coyote. My two sons are VA Troopers, one with a Taurus, one with a VIC. Guess which is the preferred car of the State Police? Durability, the Vic, hands down. The Taurus AWD out accelerates it, (NA 240hp V-6) and out handles it, but without a question, won't outlast it. Forget Chrsyler, they are in the shop more than on the road. So far the Police Caprice is doing a good job, they are fast as snot too, but the jury is out on reliabiity!
I'm glad somebody else understands what I'm talking about.
I once was involved in a head-on collision with a 1970 Mustang. It put the engine of the Mustang in the front seat, and I drove the Crown Vic off.
Old 1/3/14, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Owned a merc marauder back in 03/04 and loved it. Do a special edition like that in the ford line but don't call it a crown Vic if you want to attract a younger audience.
Old 1/4/14, 08:20 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm glad somebody else understands what I'm talking about.
I once was involved in a head-on collision with a 1970 Mustang. It put the engine of the Mustang in the front seat, and I drove the Crown Vic off.
Fairly modern Crown Vic vs. Old Mustang? That was a foregone conclusion.

Rhumb is correct with the BOF observation. Modern unibody cars are stiffer although in the name of safety they are designed with crumple zones to absorb impact energy. If BOF was superior you can bet the Germans would be churning them out.

As an example any recent car has to meet a requirement that in a roll over its roof has to support three times the weight of the vehicle. No such luck with any car rooted in the last century.

The Crown Vic's ruggedness probably has less to do with its BOF construction than an intentional effort by Ford to take advantage of its cheap to produce nature and intended use as a work horse.
Old 1/5/14, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Pricing - Pricing - Pricing

I still love my '14 GT, however I do like the looks of the '15 and as everything seems to do, it will grow on me as time passes. While I am anxious to see and drive the '15 GT, the price point will be a big factor for me. Ford has announced there will be an increase in the price, let's just hope it is reasonable.

In 2009 my nephew bought a brand new Pontiac G8 GT for $27,552. It's replacement by GM is the new Chevy 2014 SS. Similarly equipped it cost $43,475 which is insane. I realize 5 years has passed...but come on..a 60% price increase.

I hope Ford does not follow GM's logic (or lack of).
Old 1/5/14, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Question

What is the topic of this thread?
Old 1/5/14, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
What is the topic of this thread?
"Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered"
Old 1/5/14, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How much is it gonna cost? That's my biggest unanswered question
Old 1/5/14, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by elkk
I still love my '14 GT, however I do like the looks of the '15 and as everything seems to do, it will grow on me as time passes. While I am anxious to see and drive the '15 GT, the price point will be a big factor for me. Ford has announced there will be an increase in the price, let's just hope it is reasonable.

In 2009 my nephew bought a brand new Pontiac G8 GT for $27,552. It's replacement by GM is the new Chevy 2014 SS. Similarly equipped it cost $43,475 which is insane. I realize 5 years has passed...but come on..a 60% price increase.

I hope Ford does not follow GM's logic (or lack of).
I agree, pricing is the key. The price seems to really have taken off around the 2011 model year after the addition of the 5 liter and standard tech like stability control and the like. Having purchased a well equipped GT premium in 05 for about 28k that didn't sit well with me. A similar vehicle now would be about 32k. I'm sure the bean counters will disagree but I don't see how Ford can justify a substantial increase this time around even with the addition of IRS (we should've had it last gen anyway). The cost should be minimal spread across the life of the platform anyhow, right? My point being, the BIG price jump already occurred, the next one should be marginal....well at least one can hope and dream.

As far as the G8 to SS comparison. That's not a fair comparison. The SS is the equivalent of the G8 GXP (think GT 500 of G8's) they aren't offered similarly equipped either. The SS only comes loaded with every premium option you would ever want or maybe don't want. A loaded G8 GT stickered at about 33k. The base model stickered around 28k. Sorry if it seems like I'm attacking you, just felt I had to clear that up as a G8 owner
Old 1/5/14, 03:51 PM
Cobra Member

On pricing, I'm assuming a small increase over the current. I will assume that a well optioned GT with performance goodies will be 40-45k. 53ish for mach 1, boss or whatever mid level hp SE and 65+ for big bad boody daddy 600+ shelby/svt/gt350...

These numbers are scientifically derived at as I pulled them out of my tuckus.
Old 1/5/14, 03:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On pricing, I'm assuming a small increase over the current. I will assume that a well optioned GT with performance goodies will be 40-45k. 53ish for mach 1, boss or whatever mid level hp SE and 65+ for big bad boody daddy 600+ shelby/svt/gt350... These numbers are scientifically derived at as I pulled them out of my tuckus.
Funny! If the GT is from 40-45k Ford will definitely gain some new customers! More upper class customers and less middle to lower class customers. Not sure if sales will increase!
Old 1/5/14, 04:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Funny! If the GT is from 40-45k Ford will definitely gain some new customers! More upper class customers and less middle to lower class customers. Not sure if sales will increase!
My 2011 premium with entertainment pack, brembo, rear camera and some other goodies I don't remember was 40k. For this reason, I think Mustang GTs are already solidly in the 40-45 range. I hope that there will still be a low optioned 5.0 with cloth seats and a manual trans for under 33k.

One of the neat things about mustangs is that you can get a pretty aggressive motor and well sorted out chasis for a broad price range. You can get 300+ ponies in a bare bones package for around 22k and up to over 650 HP for 70ish. Mustangs for Everyone!!!!

One concern I have is that I think believe there is going to be a problem with supply the first year as I suspect they are going to sell a poop load of these things overseas where fans have never been able to buy a Mustang. Theoretically production in big numbers should result in cheaper production costs keeping prices down. Then again if demand outpaces supply, it could hurt us. I'm sure there is someone on these boards who has a solid grasp of how this might work out, I clearly don't.
Old 1/5/14, 04:53 PM
V6 Member

My 2011 premium with entertainment pack, brembo, rear camera and some other goodies I don't remember was 40k. For this reason, I think Mustang GTs are already solidly in the 40-45 range. I hope that there will still be a low optioned 5.0 with cloth seats and a manual trans for under 33k.

One of the neat things about mustangs is that you can get a pretty aggressive motor and well sorted out chasis for a broad price range. You can get 300+ ponies in a bare bones package for around 22k and up to over 650 HP for 70ish. Mustangs for Everyone!!!!

One concern I have is that I think believe there is going to be a problem with supply the first year as I suspect they are going to sell a poop load of these things overseas where fans have never been able to buy a Mustang. Theoretically production in big numbers should result in cheaper production costs keeping prices down. Then again if demand outpaces supply, it could hurt us. I'm sure there is someone on these boards who has a solid grasp of how this might work out, I clearly don't.
I Just built a 2013 Premium with track pack, tech, comfort, security, rear camera, and wheel locks for $42k. So yes the ceiling will easily be 45k. But a fairly equipped base GT should remain around 34k. It's just the new normal. As much as I love V8's that's why I will give the turbo 4 cylinder a long hard look. With all the competition out there now Ford does have some incentive to keep prices down in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered