2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/13, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think, broadly, that a fastback is a type of coupe body, as would be a notchback. A hatchback might be considered something a bit different, even if basically a coupe, but I don't think there is any singular definitions for any of these really.

I would have loved a hatchback Mustang -- just so useful and could retain the exact same profile/look as the fastback -- but I don't think that's going to happen. One reason being that American's are irrationally averse to hatchbacks, yet will buy a visually and dynamically identical fastback in a heartbeat -- just never made sense to me.
Old 12/24/13, 12:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
My Question is: When will the next version of the Mustang come out,to replace this European soulless version? Also will this BMW Mustang cost the same as other expensive Euro cars?
My question is when are you going to stop crapping on threads because you don't like it?
Old 12/24/13, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Soulless? Not enough gaudy clown-show silliness going on? There's always the Pep-Boys accessories aisle to add a bit more, ummm, soul. That said, I suspect there might be a Mach I version in a year or two with all the additional sparkly jewelry, racy stickers, shiny bits and large tack-ons for those who conflate more styling with good styling. For those whose aesthetic sensibilities have evolved beyond the 8th grade study hall level, I like the cleanly and well-styled Stang just as it is.

Cost? Maybe a grand or two more than the current model, but for that, you get genuine 21st century (vs. 19th century) technology and an interior you can be enthuses by, not make excuses for. More important, it'll likely be at least $5-10k cheaper than similar Euro brands, if not more. I'd get a decently spec'ed GT will be closer to $20K cheaper than a new M3 with similar spec's and numbers and won't feel so bargain basement as the current car for the savings.
Boom goes the dynamite!
Old 12/25/13, 12:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
My question is when are you going to stop crapping on threads because you don't like it?
Maybe if this guy brings me a shiny new one...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12/25/13, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

The hatchback won't return because it weakens the structure. The old Fox hatches were unbelievably flexible. Worse than the new edge convertibles. I owned five of them from 83 through 89 models. Add t-tops and they were even worse. The hatch was the first thing to go in the 94 redesign.
Old 12/25/13, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I think, broadly, that a fastback is a type of coupe body, as would be a notchback. A hatchback might be considered something a bit different, even if basically a coupe, but I don't think there is any singular definitions for any of these really. I would have loved a hatchback Mustang -- just so useful and could retain the exact same profile/look as the fastback -- but I don't think that's going to happen. One reason being that American's are irrationally averse to hatchbacks, yet will buy a visually and dynamically identical fastback in a heartbeat -- just never made sense to me.
But they'll buy droves of slightly lifted wanabe truck hatchbacks, aka SUVs.
Old 12/25/13, 01:17 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
I think, broadly, that a fastback is a type of coupe body, as would be a notchback. A hatchback might be considered something a bit different, even if basically a coupe, but I don't think there is any singular definitions for any of these really.

I would have loved a hatchback Mustang -- just so useful and could retain the exact same profile/look as the fastback -- but I don't think that's going to happen. One reason being that American's are irrationally averse to hatchbacks, yet will buy a visually and dynamically identical fastback in a heartbeat -- just never made sense to me.
I totally agree with your post, as a fastback is still considered as a coupe just as much as a notchback or even a 2 door hatchback for that matter..

As neither a fastback or hatchback can really be considered as anything other than a coupe, providing of course that it only has 2 doors..

Unless you consider a hatchback as being a 2 door sedan

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/25/13 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12/25/13, 01:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Oh It's a Fastback Alright. I'd love it if it is also a Hatch. Since they went as far as making completely different Quarter Panels and Trunk Lids for the Convertible for the first time since 73 it's not unfeasible that they could have made the coupe a Hatchback. Like I said, Nobody has seen the Trunk on the Coupe Open, and Ford has already said there are more than a few surprises they haven't revealed yet. That would be a huge surprise. Since America is so Hatch Phobic (Unless they weigh two and a half tons) it would be a good marketing ploy. Show it off and get people's interest and Stoke the flames of their desire so they Want One then reveal that not only is it a Beautiful, Sexy Beast, but Practical too.
Although the 2015 has more of a fastback profile than the current Mustang does ! It's still not quite a full fastback, as the very edge of the decklid is still flat and horizontal similar with the 65-66 fastback models..

In order to be considered as a full/true fastback, the roofline would have to slope completely back into the rear decklid.. Just as the 67-68 fastback models are along with the 69-70 and 71-73 models..

However, it's pretty darn close to being a full fastback though and more than likely as close as we're ever going to get IMO

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/25/13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12/25/13, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Juice
The hatchback won't return because it weakens the structure. The old Fox hatches were unbelievably flexible. Worse than the new edge convertibles. I owned five of them from 83 through 89 models. Add t-tops and they were even worse. The hatch was the first thing to go in the 94 redesign.
Which was more a function of the Foxstang's particular design and engineering. I had a '94 Probe GT and that was very rigid and stout, and only weighed about 2,900 lbs. So no, hatchbacks are not inherently weak or heavy if well designed.
Old 12/27/13, 06:42 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Which was more a function of the Foxstang's particular design and engineering. I had a '94 Probe GT and that was very rigid and stout, and only weighed about 2,900 lbs. So no, hatchbacks are not inherently weak or heavy if well designed.
hatches are weak. havent you seen the beam that is required on a 370z, and those are only 2 seaters. whats the point of a hatch if you have to ruin the practicality with scaffolding?
Old 12/27/13, 11:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Regarding on how bad the new Mustang gets the performance per dollar prize is kind of irrelavant as it already has this crown. Most people (not me) who shop for the M3\4 wont cross shop over to the Mustang. This is kind of Fords fault for building mediocre cars for the last decade, they have an uphill battle in changing the minds of a lot of people. I think they can do it but it will take some time.

I for one feel the Mustang (2015) will be close enough in refinement and build quality that I would consider a Mustang again. If it comes in at 3800 lbs that could be a deal breaker though.

I tell you what really bugs me about Ford that the only rear wheel drive car they make now is the Mustang. Would love to see them come out with a nice rwd sedan.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 12/27/13 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12/27/13, 11:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Soulless? Not enough gaudy clown-show silliness going on? There's always the Pep-Boys accessories aisle to add a bit more, ummm, soul. That said, I suspect there might be a Mach I version in a year or two with all the additional sparkly jewelry, racy stickers, shiny bits and large tack-ons for those who conflate more styling with good styling. For those whose aesthetic sensibilities have evolved beyond the 8th grade study hall level, I like the cleanly and well-styled Stang just as it is.

Cost? Maybe a grand or two more than the current model, but for that, you get genuine 21st century (vs. 19th century) technology and an interior you can be enthuses by, not make excuses for. More important, it'll likely be at least $5-10k cheaper than similar Euro brands, if not more. I'd get a decently spec'ed GT will be closer to $20K cheaper than a new M3 with similar spec's and numbers and won't feel so bargain basement as the current car for the savings.
Excellent point...I think it would be closer to $25k cheaper than a similar equipped M3/4 and even more if you equip the M cars with the carbon brakes, easily an $8k option.
Old 12/28/13, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Regarding on how bad the new Mustang gets the performance per dollar prize is kind of irrelavant as it already has this crown. Most people (not me) who shop for the M3\4 wont cross shop over to the Mustang. This is kind of Fords fault for building mediocre cars for the last decade, they have an uphill battle in changing the minds of a lot of people. I think they can do it but it will take some time.

I for one feel the Mustang (2015) will be close enough in refinement and build quality that I would consider a Mustang again. If it comes in at 3800 lbs that could be a deal breaker though.

I tell you what really bugs me about Ford that the only rear wheel drive car they make now is the Mustang. Would love to see them come out with a nice rwd sedan.

Dave
I think with Ford making a concerted effort with the 2015 to make it an actual, viable contender against the various Euro brands, the Stang could well lure in a lot of cross-shopping Euro/Asian car buyers who couldn't quite stomach the Stang's crudeness and yestertech. By all appearances, Ford has addresses these shortcomings in spades. As long as Ford keeps the price under control and no major glitches, I think the 2015 will reel in a whole new slew of previously Euro devotees.

I would not be surprised at all if the platform spins off a sedan or two, possibly a Ford (Maverick) but more likely a desperately needed Lincoln, or perhaps both. Indeed, I would be much more surprised if the S550 platform didn't sire some siblings.
Old 12/29/13, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think with Ford making a concerted effort with the 2015 to make it an actual, viable contender against the various Euro brands, the Stang could well lure in a lot of cross-shopping Euro/Asian car buyers who couldn't quite stomach the Stang's crudeness and yestertech. By all appearances, Ford has addresses these shortcomings in spades. As long as Ford keeps the price under control and no major glitches, I think the 2015 will reel in a whole new slew of previously Euro devotees.

I would not be surprised at all if the platform spins off a sedan or two, possibly a Ford (Maverick) but more likely a desperately needed Lincoln, or perhaps both. Indeed, I would be much more surprised if the S550 platform didn't sire some siblings.
There are a lot of us who want to buy a US made car again. Issue was we outgrew or the Mustang didnt grow with us and we moved on to different pastures. I am a convert who didnt want to convert to German cars. Owning BMWs and Porsches the last 10 years is going to make me a tough sell. The price point is obviously going to be an incentive. Im sick of paying the added marque tax of a BMW/PCar.

Ford said they used the 911/M3 as the benchmark, I would love to really see this become truth and not just market banter. Especially when I start reading curb weights in the 3800lb range. Reserve judgement on this when I see the final product and specs.

Last edited by Dave07997S; 12/29/13 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12/29/13, 12:42 PM

I'm in much the same boat, being the current owner of an aging, but still awesome, 2001 E46 M3. I love sport coupes, especially fast rwd ones with great balance and dynamics. The current Mustang certainly fits the first aspects of this but was lacking in the latter, especially with its Conestoga axle.

The 2015 appears to be the real deal though, without all the gaps in its portfolio of the current car. Awaiting tests and drives of course, but trade in time for the Bimmer at the local Ford dealership may be in the cards.

Now, if Ford came out with a classy, affordable performance sedan based on the S550 chassis - now that I'm in a family way - I'd be camped out on the Ford dealer's steps.

I think a LOT of current import buyers would feel that way and would jump on the chance to ditch their costly Euro rides if a truly refined, capable, tasteful and affordable American alternative existed. The excellent Focus ST's buyer demographics may be a harbinger of that, being significantly older and wealthier than Ford anticipated, indicating a large potential underserved niche. The very thought of 2015 Mustang GT bits (Brembos and wriggly stick included) underpinning an equally tastefully styled, and priced, four door, really gets me drooling. Don't even get me this thinking about a 5.0 five door ... excuse me while I go clean myself up.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/29/13 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12/29/13, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm in much the same boat, being the current owner of an aging, but still awesome, 2001 E46 M3. I love sport coupes, especially fast rwd ones with great balance and dynamics. The current Mustang certainly fits the first aspects of this but was lacking in the latter, especially with its Conestoga axle.

The 2015 appears to be the real deal though, without all the gaps in its portfolio of the current car. Awaiting tests and drives of course, but trade in time for the Bimmer at the local Ford dealership may be in the cards.

Now, if Ford came out with a classy, affordable performance sedan based on the S550 chassis - now that I'm in a family way - I'd be camped out on the Ford dealer's steps.

I think a LOT of current import buyers would feel that way and would jump on the chance to ditch their costly Euro rides if a truly refined, capable, tasteful and affordable American alternative existed. The excellent Focus ST's buyer demographics may be a harbinger of that, being significantly older and wealthier than Ford anticipated, indicating a large potential underserved niche. The very thought of 2015 Mustang GT bits (Brembos and wriggly stick included) underpinning an equally tastefully styled, and priced, four door, really gets me drooling. Don't even get me this thinking about a 5.0 five door ... excuse me while I go clean myself up.
You and I are definitely on the same page...I miss my E46 M3 immensely. BTW, have you seen what VAC Motorsports has done with some E46M3s? They have 3.5L stroker kits and CSL type intakes along with the software to run them with Schrick cams. They are pushing almost 400hp out of these S54s and spinning them to 9krpm!

Dave
Old 12/30/13, 09:16 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The very thought of 2015 Mustang GT bits (Brembos and wriggly stick included) underpinning an equally tastefully styled, and priced, four door, really gets me drooling. Don't even get me this thinking about a 5.0 five door ... excuse me while I go clean myself up.

+1k!!!!!!!

I wish Ford (not interested in a Lincoln version as I think they would screw the pooch ) had something to take on Charger and SS, nice and tidy like the G8 but with a coyote V8 and a nice M6 or M7 trans with a seriously sporting suspension and summer tire package.

Also agreed on the five door - yes America take your **** SUV/CUVs and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.!
Old 12/30/13, 10:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
+1k!!!!!!! I wish Ford (not interested in a Lincoln version as I think they would screw the pooch ) had something to take on Charger and SS, nice and tidy like the G8 but with a coyote V8 and a nice M6 or M7 trans with a seriously sporting suspension and summer tire package. Also agreed on the five door - yes America take your **** SUV/CUVs and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.!
This.
Old 12/31/13, 06:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by bob
+1k!!!!!!!

I wish Ford (not interested in a Lincoln version as I think they would screw the pooch ) had something to take on Charger and SS, nice and tidy like the G8 but with a coyote V8 and a nice M6 or M7 trans with a seriously sporting suspension and summer tire package.

Also agreed on the five door - yes America take your **** SUV/CUVs and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.!
Bob, in 2007 I bought a 300C HEMI because Ford had nothing that rivaled it. Throw the Coyote in the new Taurus and add RWD and I'd get one instantly.
Old 12/31/13, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As I understand it, Ford discontinued production of the greatest 4 door sedan ever made because of low sales. Only old people and police departments were buying them. And to think that all it needed was the Coyote V8 and the police package suspension and brakes to save it.
I'm talking about the Ford Crown Victoria of course. Best darned car I ever drove and never owned. No, it wasn't the fastest or the best cornering car, but it had a comfortable and firm ride, went places, and did things that few other cars could do. It wasn't the best at any one thing, but it was good at all of them.
I hate to say this, but if I could have bought a police package Crown Vic with the Coyote in it, I wouldn't own a Mustang.

Quick Reply: Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered