2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered

Search this Thread

Old 12/20/13, 06:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered

Ok, guys- while just a couple weeks back, we were suddenly basking in pics and new information. Just as suddenly, the information stream has gone dry and there is a lot of official data that has yet to be revealed.

List your questions...of course, if someone knows the answer please feel free to chime in.

Large questions still on my mind:

1.) Curb Weight of each model
1a) Weight distribution/center of gravity
2.) Pricing
2a) Details of what each trim level includes
3.) Exact power numbers for each engine
4.) EPA ratings
5.) How badly will the '15 GT spank the M4 in the dollar : performance category?

Trivial/points of unanswered interest

1.) Are the rumors of the new V8 engine/Coyote replacement true for the near futue?
2.) What components, if any will carry over to the new model?
2a.) Will the wheels retain the same offset and bolt pattern?
3.) Will the mountain moving 5.8L motor return or not?
4.) Will the 2015s accept custom engine tuning as well as current gen cars?

Let's hear yours!

Last edited by MRGTX; 12/20/13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12/20/13, 06:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Why is the four banger speculated to have more hp than the six banger?
Old 12/20/13, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Why is the four banger speculated to have more hp than the six banger?
Ford has said fairly directly that output of a 2.3 ecoboost would exceed the v6.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
5.) How badly will the '15 GT spank the M4 in the dollar : performance category?
Hugely, not to mention the mustang will crush the M4 in exhaust symphony as well.

I would think the bolt patterns are the same because a few 2015 mules have been running around on S197 wheels, offset should be interesting tho they might use a similiar offset but still need the spokes to be able to clear the new bigger brakes.
Old 12/20/13, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
I would think the bolt patterns are the same because a few 2015 mules have been running around on S197 wheels, offset should be interesting tho they might use a similiar offset but still need the spokes to be able to clear the new bigger brakes.
Good catch. This is a good sign.
Old 12/20/13, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Will there be a GT500 version, or a California Special?
Old 12/20/13, 08:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1.) Are the rumors of the new V8 engine/Coyote replacement true for the near futue?
Are you referring to Voodoo? Rumours point to this being based on Coyote, just as RoadRunner (the Boss 302) engine was. It'll be used in an SE, but won't replace the 5.0 Coyote in the GT
Old 12/20/13, 08:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will HUD be on any models? (Now or in the future.)

Will the glass roof make its return?

Will the FRPP Supercharger fit or did they have to rework everything?

Are there any plans to have a track key system? (SE perhaps)

Ford will unveil some new tech details Jan 7 at CES.

Last edited by SynisterGT; 12/20/13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12/20/13, 11:56 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand the desire to know meow, but honestly, it'll come out when Ford is good and ready to release info. Asking questions like "what about a new engine or SE?" to a Ford engineer or marketing guy is going to get an odd look and the same, generic response.

We'll get items like pricing, weight distribution, and overall weight between now and launch. Since the design is out in public view now, they can keep riding the marketing hype and release info little by little. Asking about future product, however, is just ignorant and unnecessary at this point.
Old 12/20/13, 12:14 PM

My guestimates:

1.) Curb Weight of each model
Same as the current model.
1a) Weight distribution/center of gravity
Maybe a bit closer to 50/50 than the current model.
2.) Pricing
+10% over current model.
2a) Details of what each trim level includes
TBD
3.) Exact power numbers for each engine
By cylinder count: 330, 305, 440
4.) EPA ratings
+5-10% over similar current engines. Egoboost 2.3 will be better than the V6 by 3-5mpg EPA rating but less so in real world driving (once you start getting on boost they can really suck down the gas sufficient to produce the HP numbers).
Pretty soundly, never mind the presumed GT350. BMW ought to be concerned, very concerned. Both will sound good, just different.

Any new V8s will be evolutionary developments off of the current Coyote, which will also evolve in the GT. DI would be one obvious addition but perhaps some sort of cylinder deactivation too. HiPo SE models will likely have more displacement, flat-plane crank (GT350), or turbos (GT500)
2.) What components, if any will carry over to the new model?
Few.
Bolt pattern-same, offsets-different.
3.) Will the mountain moving 5.8L motor return or not?
If at all, only as a filler until they get a TT Coyote varient online.
4.) Will the 2015s accept custom engine tuning as well as current gen cars?
Yup.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/20/13 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12/20/13, 02:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
My guestimates:

Same as the current model.
Maybe a bit closer to 50/50 than the current model.
+10% over current model.
TBD
By cylinder count: 330, 305, 440
+5-10% over similar current engines. Egoboost 2.3 will be better than the V6 by 3-5mpg EPA rating but less so in real world driving (once you start getting on boost they can really suck down the gas sufficient to produce the HP numbers).
Pretty soundly, never mind the presumed GT350. BMW ought to be concerned, very concerned. Both will sound good, just different.

Any new V8s will be evolutionary developments off of the current Coyote, which will also evolve in the GT. DI would be one obvious addition but perhaps some sort of cylinder deactivation too. HiPo SE models will likely have more displacement, flat-plane crank (GT350), or turbos (GT500)
Few.
Bolt pattern-same, offsets-different.
If at all, only as a filler until they get a TT Coyote varient online.
Yup.
I'm going to guess a significant portion of these predictions are right on.
Old 12/21/13, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest question is will there be a glass roof option for 2015? If not, will they have it for 2016 or is it gone for good?
Old 12/22/13, 12:53 AM
Cobra R Member

My Question is: When will the next version of the Mustang come out,to replace this European soulless version? Also will this BMW Mustang cost the same as other expensive Euro cars?
Old 12/22/13, 02:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Has Anyone Seen a Coupe with the Trunk Open? Could it possibly be a Hatch? Is that why there isn't going to be a Glass Roof Option?
Old 12/22/13, 02:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Has Anyone Seen a Coupe with the Trunk Open? Could it possibly be a Hatch? Is that why there isn't going to be a Glass Roof Option?
guessing vert and coupe same trunk

Last edited by tom_vilsack; 12/22/13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12/22/13, 07:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
My guestimates:
+10% over current model.
So at least $3000 over the price of the current GT?? Wow I hope you're wrong about that guess. The rest of your guesses seem reasonable though.
Old 12/22/13, 08:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack

guessing vert and coupe same trunk
Different decklids for fastback and convertible. It allowed them to achieve more of the shape they wanted for the coupe.
Old 12/23/13, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Different decklids for fastback and convertible. It allowed them to achieve more of the shape they wanted for the coupe.
I was just wondering if it's too far of a stretch to go ahead & call it a Fastback.

Not disagreeing with you I haven't seen it in person myself but pictures say it could be considered a Fastback.

Last edited by knk11stang; 12/23/13 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add
Old 12/24/13, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
My Question is: When will the next version of the Mustang come out,to replace this European soulless version? Also will this BMW Mustang cost the same as other expensive Euro cars?

Soulless? Not enough gaudy clown-show silliness going on? There's always the Pep-Boys accessories aisle to add a bit more, ummm, soul. That said, I suspect there might be a Mach I version in a year or two with all the additional sparkly jewelry, racy stickers, shiny bits and large tack-ons for those who conflate more styling with good styling. For those whose aesthetic sensibilities have evolved beyond the 8th grade study hall level, I like the cleanly and well-styled Stang just as it is.

Cost? Maybe a grand or two more than the current model, but for that, you get genuine 21st century (vs. 19th century) technology and an interior you can be enthuses by, not make excuses for. More important, it'll likely be at least $5-10k cheaper than similar Euro brands, if not more. I'd get a decently spec'ed GT will be closer to $20K cheaper than a new M3 with similar spec's and numbers and won't feel so bargain basement as the current car for the savings.

Last edited by rhumb; 12/24/13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12/24/13, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knk11stang
I was just wondering if it's too far of a stretch to go ahead & call it a Fastback.

Not disagreeing with you I haven't seen it in person myself but pictures say it could be considered a Fastback.
Oh It's a Fastback Alright. I'd love it if it is also a Hatch. Since they went as far as making completely different Quarter Panels and Trunk Lids for the Convertible for the first time since 73 it's not unfeasible that they could have made the coupe a Hatchback. Like I said, Nobody has seen the Trunk on the Coupe Open, and Ford has already said there are more than a few surprises they haven't revealed yet. That would be a huge surprise. Since America is so Hatch Phobic (Unless they weigh two and a half tons) it would be a good marketing ploy. Show it off and get people's interest and Stoke the flames of their desire so they Want One then reveal that not only is it a Beautiful, Sexy Beast, but Practical too.
Old 12/24/13, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by knk11stang

I think its one of those things where you wont be wrong calling it a fastback or a coupe, its kinda in the middle stylistically. Technically it might be a 2+2 coupe for EPA purposes and I am going to call it a coupe but I wouldn't disagree with someone calling it a fastback. To each their own.

Quick Reply: Questions we have about the 2015 Mustang that are still unanswered