2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 15 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/14, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
It sounds like you have good logic in terms of what you want in your mustang. I think we have similar rational, I'm 45 and didn't feel I needed the V8 in order to enjoy it. Also, I purchased in July and felt the discounts would work better for me, but if I were in your shoes, I may be leaning towards the 2015. You can get one nicely equipped V6 without going with the premium package. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the eco 4, that's for sure.
Thanks for understanding and seeing things similarly.
Old 11/22/14, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the ecoboost never existed and it was the 3.7 from 2014 with a bump in power to 310 HP and 320FT/LBS with the same torque curve, quarter mile time AND got 32MPG, people would be praising it. it would be considered a bump in performance from the 2014
Old 11/22/14, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the Ecoboost made significantly more power, got significantly better mileage than the a four year old V6 and didn't crap out at 5k rpm with the factory tune, it might be considered an upgrade to the 3.7L.

Some extra mid-range torque might be useful in your ho-hum everyday commute to work but short shifting to stay in the power band when you're trying to have a little fun isn't my idea of fun. I'll stick with the V6 that makes power all the way to 7k rpm.
Old 11/23/14, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm not ready to buy but I got a lease price on a 15 V6 051A pkg with auto trans. $3000 out of pocket and nothing else for 36 months with 10.5k miles/year and decent not best credit $287 per month. That is incredibly affordable don't you think?? I'm currently saving the money now lol but wanted to ask if you guys thought its a good deal
Old 11/24/14, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GT40 2
20% less on regular. Probably not a huge drop on 91.
I'm calling BS till you show a source.
The Focus ST doesn't lose any peak HP and only loses a small amount of torque, something like 8 ft-lbs when you use 87. The power and torque curves change a bit, but the peaks aren't affected that much.
Old 11/24/14, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of my friends tease me about the V6 all the time, saying its a girl's car. Real men don't buy V6 Mustangs.

I'm like a couple of the other posters in this thread. I don't need maximum accceleration and earth-shaking power. I want a sporty ride with decent power. I drove a '14 and '15 V6 and that thing is like a rocket to me - coming from a 2007 V6!! All kinds of power! I can remember it does not seem like that long ago that 300hp cars were serious sports cars like Corvette.

I'm not sold on the EB because it does not offer a significant improvement over the V6, and I did drive one. I've heard the stories that you get less hp if you use 87 fuel, and that puts it about equal to the V6 so what's the point?

I don't like how they've taken away a lot of options. Especially how you can't get any color other than black on the inside. The '14 offered stone and the gorgeous saddle. I may have to settle for black though; I want to buy either the '14 or a '15. I just can't decide which one. The only real difference is the '`14 has stone leather while the '15 has black cloth. Oh, and the two dealers made it more difficult by making my payment $5 more/month for the '15.
Old 11/24/14, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with you Pony07. I had an '04 3.9 V6 with an automatic and it was such a dog compared to my '11 V6 with a manual. Basically the 3.7 has more horsepower than the '09 and earlier GTs with much improved mileage. With the '14 you have the option to get a full premium trim to enjoy until Ford makes up it's mind to either keep or dump the 3.7 for the S550. Rule of thumb, never buy the first year of a car unless it is a special model (i.e. numbered 50th Anniversary or the GT350). I don't need the extra 130 HP to make me happy. I love my 3.7 but am open minded to the Ecoboost after I feel it has proved itself in this platform.
Old 11/25/14, 04:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pony07
Most of my friends tease me about the V6 all the time, saying its a girl's car. Real men don't buy V6 Mustangs. I'm like a couple of the other posters in this thread. I don't need maximum accceleration and earth-shaking power. I want a sporty ride with decent power. I drove a '14 and '15 V6 and that thing is like a rocket to me - coming from a 2007 V6!! All kinds of power! I can remember it does not seem like that long ago that 300hp cars were serious sports cars like Corvette. I'm not sold on the EB because it does not offer a significant improvement over the V6, and I did drive one. I've heard the stories that you get less hp if you use 87 fuel, and that puts it about equal to the V6 so what's the point? I don't like how they've taken away a lot of options. Especially how you can't get any color other than black on the inside. The '14 offered stone and the gorgeous saddle. I may have to settle for black though; I want to buy either the '14 or a '15. I just can't decide which one. The only real difference is the '`14 has stone leather while the '15 has black cloth. Oh, and the two dealers made it more difficult by making my payment $5 more/month for the '15.
You're absolutely right. A V6 with 300hp is as much of a performance car as its V8 cousins. Since you've driven the 14 and 15, I would think its a no brainer. The 15 May not have premium trim but with the money you save you could do upgrades over time. My plan would be to get a spoiler, back out grill with the Tribar emblem to the side, and stripes for the exterior. The interior I'll get leather and possibly add a different trim piece to the dash. You can always swap out the black cloth for a color once they start making leather interiors available to the aftermarket or go to eBay and get a premium interior from someone like Roush or Others who put in their own Lester/interiors.
Old 11/25/14, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stam616
I'm not ready to buy but I got a lease price on a 15 V6 051A pkg with auto trans. $3000 out of pocket and nothing else for 36 months with 10.5k miles/year and decent not best credit $287 per month. That is incredibly affordable don't you think?? I'm currently saving the money now lol but wanted to ask if you guys thought its a good deal

This to me sounds very high... is this a base model v6? I bought mine with 28 miles on it for $17,995. I put zero down and got a reasonable payment of 375/month but that is with negative equity bringing my total to about 24k. Stupid BMW haha...

The 3.7L is a great choice and one I would chose over the Ecoboost anyday. The Ecoboost is already turboed and sure a tune could produce even greater numbers but the 3.7L is a very tough engine and proven. You could always add a procharger or turbo setup to the 3.7L down the line if you must have more power. Ford put the v6 Mustang down when it could have been something great. Probably got a little too close to the 5.0 for comfort. You can stroke it out to a 4.0L with forged internals and approximately make 400+/- hp with no forced induction according to supersixmotorsports. The v6 loves to rev which is another great quality. You will be very pleased with it like I am.
Old 11/29/14, 08:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by killaz05
This to me sounds very high... is this a base model v6? I bought mine with 28 miles on it for $17,995. I put zero down and got a reasonable payment of 375/month but that is with negative equity bringing my total to about 24k. Stupid BMW haha... The 3.7L is a great choice and one I would chose over the Ecoboost anyday. The Ecoboost is already turboed and sure a tune could produce even greater numbers but the 3.7L is a very tough engine and proven. You could always add a procharger or turbo setup to the 3.7L down the line if you must have more power. Ford put the v6 Mustang down when it could have been something great. Probably got a little too close to the 5.0 for comfort. You can stroke it out to a 4.0L with forged internals and approximately make 400+/- hp with no forced induction according to supersixmotorsports. The v6 loves to rev which is another great quality. You will be very pleased with it like I am.
How could you get a 2015 v6 for $17,995?? That is thousands less than invoice and would be better than the best plan price from Ford itself? The car I want is a V6 with 051A pkg, auto trans.. The best I'm getting is like 26,200 right now which is a few bucks above invoice..
Old 11/30/14, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by stam616
How could you get a 2015 v6 for $17,995?? That is thousands less than invoice and would be better than the best plan price from Ford itself? The car I want is a V6 with 051A pkg, auto trans.. The best I'm getting is like 26,200 right now which is a few bucks above invoice..
He's got a 2014 base, one of the last ones leftover...
Old 11/30/14, 11:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had my V6 vert for 22 months and it has just over 28K miles on it. The only problem I've had is the SelectShift button had to be replaced. The engine is great and mileage on the highway is as others have mentioned and is on regular gas. I am not into straight line drag racing but I do autocross mine and have a blast doing it.
I considered waiting for the '15s but decided to go ahead. My order for my '14 went in just after Ford had shut off orders for '13s. I love the color combo and have no regrets about the engine or automatic trans. I get to shift when I want to and don't HAVE to shift otherwise. Great car!
Old 12/1/14, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
He's got a 2014 base, one of the last ones leftover...

Actually I got it in December of 2013 so they were still making them. With the incentives they had at the end of the year, I was able to get the car for $17,995. I don't know why the new ones are so high in price. I do have a base car like as stated in a response but how much are those extra goodies worth to you? Can you add what you want for cheaper at a later date? You might be able to get a new 2014 for much less than a new 2015 that it would be more sensible to get a 2014. Just look around and see what works for you and your budget. Either way... you will be happy because it is a Mustang