2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 15 V6

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/14, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
The 3.7L is a tough little SOB. I had one in an '11 F-150, and it never gave me a problem. In this forum, like the F-150 forum the 3.7 is never mentioned having a problem.
Old 11/19/14, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the amount of money you're planning on spending on the V6 model, you could take home an Ecoboost. I would go with that if I were you simply because you're getting more power for roughly the same money.
Old 11/19/14, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tman5293
Given the amount of money you're planning on spending on the V6 model, you could take home an Ecoboost. I would go with that if I were you simply because you're getting more power for roughly the same money.
I wouldn't even think of it. I'm happy with the V6 in my F-150 and that's the engine I would want in a Mustang if I weren't getting the 5.0L. I don't care what Ford wants me to buy and I'm not interested in the games they are playing with the V6 to make the Ecoboost look like the second coming.
Old 11/19/14, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
I wouldn't even think of it. I'm happy with the V6 in my F-150 and that's the engine I would want in a Mustang if I weren't getting the 5.0L. I don't care what Ford wants me to buy and I'm not interested in the games they are playing with the V6 to make the Ecoboost look like the second coming.
Is your opinion based solely on the fact that the Ecoboost only has 4 cylinders? Because that's what it sounds like. The Ecoboost comes from the factory making more power than the V6 and it's going to have no trouble getting up near 400 hp with some minor modifications. All it needs is more boost and a few bolt ons and it could out run 5.0s. This is coming from a guy who drives a 5.0.
Old 11/19/14, 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Is your opinion based solely on the fact that the Ecoboost only has 4 cylinders? Because that's what it sounds like. The Ecoboost comes from the factory making more power than the V6 and it's going to have no trouble getting up near 400 hp with some minor modifications. All it needs is more boost and a few bolt ons and it could out run 5.0s. This is coming from a guy who drives a 5.0.
My opinion is based on the fact that I have the 3.7L in my F-150 and I'm happy with it in that application. It's simple, reliable and screams with a banshee wail at high RPM where it's still making power. It is clearly the best V6 Ford has ever put in a Mustang, with the same horsepower that used to be available only in an SVT Cobra.

There is no argument I accept in favor of the Ecoboost. It will not get any better mileage than the V6 in real world driving. EPA ratings are irrelevant in my world despite their importance to Ford. If I want the power of the 5.0L, I will buy the 5.0L. I don't see the point of buying something less, then spending time and money trying to compete with or turn it into something that already exists. If I don't buy the 5.0L, I want something that is rock solid, simple, dependable, fun and makes good power. That's the 3.7L in a nutshell.

If I buy the Ecoboost because it can be modified to mimic the 5.0L, I instantly lose my warranty as soon as I put a tune on it. My experience with Ford quality dictates that I maintain my warranty so this becomes a moot point. I would be stuck with stock Ecoboost power levels that drop off at low RPM. If I wanted to buy a turbo four and void my warranty with mods right away, I would buy it in a light weight Focus ST instead of a bloated heavy weight like the new Mustang.

This is where Ford's games come into play. The 3.7L is the only existing engine I can think of that has lost horsepower, torque and EPA ratings during it's life cycle. That is entirely to favor the Ecoboost and has no bearing on the fact that the 3.7L is still a great little engine even when compared to the Ecoboost at stock power levels. The choice not to allow a Premium Package on the V6 only serves to make me look at competitors, not look towards the Ecoboost.
Old 11/19/14, 07:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Boss 0960
My opinion is based on the fact that I have the 3.7L in my F-150 and I'm happy with it in that application. It's simple, reliable and screams with a banshee wail at high RPM where it's still making power. It is clearly the best V6 Ford has ever put in a Mustang, with the same horsepower that used to be available only in an SVT Cobra.

There is no argument I accept in favor of the Ecoboost. It will not get any better mileage than the V6 in real world driving. EPA ratings are irrelevant in my world despite their importance to Ford. If I want the power of the 5.0L, I will buy the 5.0L. I don't see the point of buying something less, then spending time and money trying to compete with or turn it into something that already exists. If I don't buy the 5.0L, I want something that is rock solid, simple, dependable, fun and makes good power. That's the 3.7L in a nutshell.

If I buy the Ecoboost because it can be modified to mimic the 5.0L, I instantly lose my warranty as soon as I put a tune on it. My experience with Ford quality dictates that I maintain my warranty so this becomes a moot point. I would be stuck with stock Ecoboost power levels that drop off at low RPM. If I wanted to buy a turbo four and void my warranty with mods right away, I would buy it in a light weight Focus ST instead of a bloated heavy weight like the new Mustang.

This is where Ford's games come into play. The 3.7L is the only existing engine I can think of that has lost horsepower, torque and EPA ratings during it's life cycle. That is entirely to favor the Ecoboost and has no bearing on the fact that the 3.7L is still a great little engine even when compared to the Ecoboost at stock power levels. The choice not to allow a Premium Package on the V6 only serves to make me look at competitors, not look towards the Ecoboost.
i would think the fact the eco makes more power then the v6 is a pretty good argument for it. and if the EPA is irrelevant in your world, how do you know what the MPG would be? have you driven both in a proper test environment in your world?
Old 11/19/14, 09:39 PM
Bullitt Member

The Ecoboost I would want will be a few thousand more than the V6 . I'm not able to afford the Exoboost. At least I don't think I can at this point lol
Old 11/20/14, 04:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whowasthat
i would think the fact the eco makes more power then the v6 is a pretty good argument for it. and if the EPA is irrelevant in your world, how do you know what the MPG would be? have you driven both in a proper test environment in your world?
I can attest to the estimates for the 1.6L EB in the Escape being significantly overrated as to fuel economy in real world driving. Not a 'test' environment.
Old 11/20/14, 07:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Ecoboost only makes more power than the V6 when it's run on 93 octane.
Old 11/20/14, 10:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I can attest to the estimates for the 1.6L EB in the Escape being significantly overrated as to fuel economy in real world driving. Not a 'test' environment.
how does that relate to the V6 and the 2.3L in the 2015? thats just a random car with a different engine.

Last edited by whowasthat; 11/20/14 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11/20/14, 10:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GT40 2
The Ecoboost only makes more power than the V6 when it's run on 93 octane.
how much power does it make on 91 or 87?
Old 11/20/14, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Escape, F-150, it doesn't matter the platform. In every application of the Ecoboost, real world comments from actual owners indicates that the mileage is not even close to what is advertised (even in this very thread). The EPA is one thing, the real world is another and I'm not so cynical to believe that every Ecoboost owner who complains about poor mileage is lying in order to what? Demonstrate that they made a poor buying decision when choosing the Ecoboost? Besides, if you are going to drive your Mustang with fuel mileage constantly in mind, you will get decent fuel mileage regardless of which of these engines you choose. If you are going to drive your Mustang in a sporty manner to have fun with it, who cares about mileage. Both engines will deliver worse mileage in that case.

Everything you need to know about the shenanigans surrounding the Ecoboost are in the video below. Back in 2011, the V6 Mustang was rated at 31 MPG. The Ecoboost is only rated at 32 MPG now so it barely edges out the 3.7L V6 introduced four years ago by 1 MPG. Back in 2011, the V6 Mustang was rated at 305 hp. The Ecoboost is only rated at 310 hp. It would appear as if the Ecoboost is only the barest of nearly indistinguishable improvements over a four year old V6. In fact, it's the type of minimal improvement that you would expect from the V6 itself after four years of normal development and updating.

Yet this new 2015 V6 only has 300 hp and only gets 28 mpg. Boy, that Ecoboost sure looks good now, doesn't it?

Old 11/20/14, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

how does that relate to the V6 and the 2.3L in the 2015? thats just a random car with a different engine.
It's a Ford. It's an EcoBoost. And the published numbers were more than a little bit higher than what was delivered. They may be spot on with the one in the Mustang... but count me as one that won't be taking that chance.
Old 11/20/14, 11:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Dear OP, i hope this message reaches you in time.

Ask yourself, will there be another opportunity for you to own a nice performance car? .

If the answers is no, then you have to experience the car as its meant to be experienced. With a v8.

If the answer is yes, then you have to experience that future car as its meant to be experienced. With a v8.

I had the 3.7 v6 and its not that impressive by any means considering its displacement and the smaller engines Europe is pumping out. I was bored of the power and torque band after 8 months. The 5.0 GT is night and day difference, and the fuel economy remained nearly the same for me.

8 Cylinders is a must, dont sell yourself short. Finance the car if you need to, but do it right. Get the GT.
Old 11/20/14, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Also if i were you, id go to the Ford dealers right now and pick up a brand new 2014 GT which they will have stupid discounts on. Im not a fan of the 2015, im a muscle car guy and thats what i drive. The 2015 is a sports car, and it doesn't appeal to me.
Old 11/21/14, 04:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
Also if i were you, id go to the Ford dealers right now and pick up a brand new 2014 GT which they will have stupid discounts on. Im not a fan of the 2015, im a muscle car guy and thats what i drive. The 2015 is a sports car, and it doesn't appeal to me.
Thanks but I have had Mustangs in the past with V8 engines and the performance goodies. I'm 44 and not interested in straight line acceleration as much as I am interested in a car that handles well , give s good performance overall and looks good doing it. I've been a fan of Mustang since I'm a kid so that's what I want. To tell someone the only way to experience this car is with a V8 does a disservice to many many people who can't afford the "big motor" not only in cost but in insurance, gas and other reasons. I appreciate your input but I will still be getting the V6 in a few months. I'll be leasing to buy so I can get the lowest payment possible for the next three years and I'll do some things to personalize my Mustang and upgrade it as I am financially able . I think from all I've read and seen with my own eyes that it's a great car and will give me exactly what I want.
Old 11/21/14, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stam616
Thanks but I have had Mustangs in the past with V8 engines and the performance goodies. I'm 44 and not interested in straight line acceleration as much as I am interested in a car that handles well , give s good performance overall and looks good doing it. I've been a fan of Mustang since I'm a kid so that's what I want. To tell someone the only way to experience this car is with a V8 does a disservice to many many people who can't afford the "big motor" not only in cost but in insurance, gas and other reasons. I appreciate your input but I will still be getting the V6 in a few months. I'll be leasing to buy so I can get the lowest payment possible for the next three years and I'll do some things to personalize my Mustang and upgrade it as I am financially able . I think from all I've read and seen with my own eyes that it's a great car and will give me exactly what I want.
It sounds like you have good logic in terms of what you want in your mustang. I think we have similar rational, I'm 45 and didn't feel I needed the V8 in order to enjoy it. Also, I purchased in July and felt the discounts would work better for me, but if I were in your shoes, I may be leaning towards the 2015. You can get one nicely equipped V6 without going with the premium package. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the eco 4, that's for sure.

Last edited by Rodsmustang; 11/21/14 at 08:39 AM. Reason: ok
Old 11/21/14, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
how much power does it make on 91 or 87?
20% less on regular. Probably not a huge drop on 91.
Old 11/21/14, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
It sounds like you have good logic in terms of what you want in your mustang. I think we have similar rational, I'm 45 and didn't feel I needed the V8 in order to enjoy it. Also, I purchased in July and felt the discounts would work better for me, but if I were in your shoes, I may be leaning towards the 2015. You can get one nicely equipped V6 without going with the premium package. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the eco 4, that's for sure.
And me as well. Similar logic when I bought my v6, and I'm 44. I was never really big on the performance factor of it all.

However, now that I've sipped the performance cool-aid, it's hard not to want to chug down a full pitcher or two!

Friends climb in my humble v6 and are surprised by how fast it goes. I occasionally get the comment "Did they sneak a v8 in there by accident?!".

...and that leads me to think ... "holy guacamole, how much more awesome WOULD a v8 be?"

TLDR: a V6 will lead you to buy a V8, even if you didn't think you ever wanted one.
Old 11/21/14, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GT40 2
20% less on regular. Probably not a huge drop on 91.
Is that written somewhere? 20% of 300 is a huge drop!

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 15 V6