2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Newbie Potential Owner looking 4 advice

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/18, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Potential Owner looking 4 advice

I never owned a Mustang but it's always been on my mind. My only car is a stock '96 Miata since 1996. It handles superb, I drive hard and it runs like a champ, but I keep adding more silicone and tape to the top that keeps leaking water, the rust spot is growing, sounds like the rear sway bar is going, etc. It might be time to upgrade to the 21st century. I've been looking at the 2018 base Ecoboost PP with 101A and the base GT with 301A. Both 6 speeds. So which one? I know it depends on my needs. I'm a one car type of guy; need a car from commuting, daily driving, road trips, and fun and I'd keep it for the long haul. I don't plan on racing or taking it to the track. I don't plan on modifying it except if I get the GT, I might get the performance parts for it later down the road. But I'm confused. GT PP has 3.73 gearing and the base has 3.55. If you had two cars totally equal to each other, with the only difference is one is 3.55 and the other 3.73, would there be a noticeable difference in mpg?

If I get the Ecoboost, then I'll probably drive it hard when I can as I normally do, but I'm worried that I'll want more power. I seen more Ecoboost owners switch to the GT than GT owners switch to the Ecoboost. Even though the Ecoboost gets 6 more mpg, if I get the GT, then I'd probably drive it like grandma to conserve fuel but what's the point of having a Pony car if you don't use the power?

I know I'll have to test drive them but which to test first? I read you should start with the Ecoboost, because if you try the GT first, then the Ecoboost will seem too slow.
Old 3/31/18, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Another vote for the GT. A Mustang should have a V8.
Old 3/31/18, 03:00 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
+1 on the GT here too. You won't be disappointed.
Old 3/31/18, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Once you get a GT, you know.

I always laugh at the 6-cyl Mustang drivers who try to show off their car to me. Those are for those who only want the look, but don't care for the power.

Plus, what the hell is up with Eco-Boost pricing? I saw one that was stickered more than what I paid for my pretty much fully-loaded GT. Was nearly $45K for a 4-cyl. You'd be crazy to pay that. Get a Tesla at that point.

Also, 10 years ago I bought a 2006 GT. 10 years later it was still fun to drive, but was time to upgrade. So I got a 2017 GT. Both are daily drivers.

Last edited by woody24; 3/31/18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 3/31/18, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's going to be the GT, then how to save mpg? I know some ways are to drive like grandma, keep tires inflated, keep it maintained, etc. I'm wondering if a cold-air intake would help at all? And then there's different gears. Does the GT with 3.55 get different mpg than GT PP with 3.73? Or is it so insignificant, it's not worth considering?
Old 3/31/18, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The best a CAI is going to help is just a couple MPG. During the winter I put sandbags in my trunk. When I remove them, I notice 1 mpg increase.

One surprising thing I noticed, was to properly claybar your car. I hadn't done so in 2 years, and after that, I gained 2 mpg.

Highway in my '06 I average 25 mpg. Saw up to 30 on longer cruises. Really, that's pretty decent for any average car.

If you're really worried about MPG, I'd say look elsewhere.
Old 3/31/18, 05:46 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
If it was me I would just get the V8 and not look back. But we are all different. I would drive both to see which you think you will be the most happy with. The eco boost is no slouch and it is pretty easy to tune up hotter if you want.
Old 3/31/18, 08:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Once you hear the GT growl, you won't want the ecoboost.
Old 4/1/18, 03:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My 13GT is a Daily too. I use it to commute, grocery, drive-thru and whatnots. Occasional spirited driving to Canyon roads is always fun. I get sore left feet stuck in traffic but that's expected. Sometimes wish I had a small SUV, though my Mustang has been holding up rather well for a 2door-car.

In my limited knowledge, the gear ratios have more to do with performance. To see significant difference in mpg is the Engine. V8 in any vehicle will drop the mpg value regardless. My younger brother's 14GT has 3.31 and mine has 3.55. Which one has better mpg? Not sure, but they both kind of suck lol.

I would still go for V8 GT. If you are too concerned about the gas mileage then other hybrid vehicles maybe a better option. Ecoboost just doesn't seem right for a Mustang (no offense to owners).

Curious to ask, what made your head turn for the car?
Old 4/1/18, 01:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Well if your intent is to drive the GT like a granny? then there's really no point if you're not going to take advantage of the car's full potential. GT's are high-performance cars meant to be driven like you stole them, not as grocery getters. Therefore if you're so hung-up on fuel economy? you shouldn't even consider buying a Mustang nor any other high-performance V8, to begin with for that matter
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (4/2/18)
Old 4/1/18, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
If you're used to light car like a Miata, the EB is supposedly about 200 lb lighter in the front and handles more like a small car. I like my EB because I'm more into handling than straight performance. Max performance only matters for a few seconds when you floor it, but handling matters every second that you're driving.
wanted33 (4/2/18)
Old 4/1/18, 05:32 PM

For your particular application needs, I would definitely follow Sarge's advice and go with the Mustang Eco-Boost 4 over the GT. Otherwise, stick with lighter cars such as the Mazda Miata, Lexus RC Coupe, and Nissan 370-Z Coupe
Old 4/2/18, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by woody24
Once you get a GT, you know.

I always laugh at the 6-cyl Mustang drivers who try to show off their car to me. Those are for those who only want the look, but don't care for the power.
I know what you mean. I always laugh at the Mustang GT drivers who try to show off their cars to me when I'm in my Corvette. Those are the ones that just want the look and not the power AND a great driving experience.

If you are going from a Miata you might want to look at a good used Corvette. You can get them for a good price and most are kept in great shape. That's what I did. My v6 mustang is now my beater car.
Old 4/2/18, 01:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by boxxer13
If it's going to be the GT, then how to save mpg? I know some ways are to drive like grandma, keep tires inflated, keep it maintained, etc. I'm wondering if a cold-air intake would help at all? And then there's different gears. Does the GT with 3.55 get different mpg than GT PP with 3.73? Or is it so insignificant, it's not worth considering?
Welcome boxxer, I say get the GT, and forget about the mpgs. However, if mpg is a major concern you may want to go with the Ecoboost. The gearing will have a minimal amount of difference in the mpgs with the GT. Since you've been driving a smaller displacement car for a long time I think you'll be happy with the 3.55 gears, and they will net you better gas mileage overall.

Best thing to do is drive them both, and then go with your gut. The old gut feeling will never let you down. Or, flip a coin. You will know which side you want it to land on before it starts to drop.

Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/2/18 at 01:05 PM.
Old 4/2/18, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Sarge
If you're used to light car like a Miata, the EB is supposedly about 200 lb lighter in the front and handles more like a small car. I like my EB because I'm more into handling than straight performance. Max performance only matters for a few seconds when you floor it, but handling matters every second that you're driving.
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
For your particular application needs, I would definitely follow Sarge's advice and go with the Mustang Eco-Boost 4 over the GT. Otherwise, stick with lighter cars such as the Mazda Miata, Lexus RC Coupe, and Nissan 370-Z Coupe
One more thing boxxer, these guys are really really old. So they are much wiser than your average forum member. Ergo, good advise here.

Last edited by wanted33; 4/2/18 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (4/2/18), Sarge (4/5/18)
Old 4/2/18, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
One more thing boxxer, these guys are really really old. So they are much wiser than your average forum member. Ergo, good advise here.
Lol.

Hey I rented a S550 EcoBoost and was reasonably impressed. It's certainly suitable for a DD, was comfortable inside, rode nicely, had adequate power, etc.

IMO, if you like Mustangs and care about driveability and money, the Eco is a fine choice. I had different priorities when I chose my 14 GT.
wanted33 (4/3/18)
Old 4/2/18, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by maverick1125
I know what you mean. I always laugh at the Mustang GT drivers who try to show off their cars to me when I'm in my Corvette. Those are the ones that just want the look and not the power AND a great driving experience.
Heh. That wouldn't be me. I know better than to try to show off to a Vette. My Dad used to have a '76 maybe. And we looked and looked at possibly getting one when I was turning 16. Not for me. But something I'd be able to drive occasionally. I would have loved to have driven one to prom. But never did.

But, I never try to show off to anyone. For one. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. And two, if I do anything, I do to show off to myself. Or if someone really pisses me off by using a Turn Only lane to try to pass me. I shut that $hit down.
Old 4/2/18, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Another vote for a GT here.

If you plan doing some mods later on $2k for springs/shocks/roll bar goes a long way to make the pony handle much much better. Then you have a car which handles AND goes fast, and ultimately that's what we all want.

With my current mods I have been able to keep up with some Corvettes in the corners. They usually get me on the straights tho.
Old 4/2/18, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
Jim, you forgot to include yourself as part of the really, really old guys' club. Anyhow, you have nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about, so just let the truth set you free lol.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/2/18 at 09:51 PM.
wanted33 (4/3/18)
Old 4/3/18, 10:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Jim, you forgot to include yourself as part of the really, really old guys' club. Anyhow, you have nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about, so just let the truth set you free lol.

I resemble that remark my friend.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
m05fastbackGT (4/3/18), Sarge (4/5/18)

Quick Reply: Newbie Potential Owner looking 4 advice