2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Motortrend's prediction on the '15

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/12, 09:47 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT

My GF constantly badgers me on how ugly the Fox Body design is. I keep trying to convince her that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but she tells me I'm full of it. Seeing a 9 second Fox at the drags last summer showed me something to respect, regardless of what the outside looked like.

By the by, is Ford holding out with the Coyote Motor for this new design or are we going to see a newly designed powerplant?
A Foxbody is a thing of beauty. Simple, clean, especially in LX trim, and Mustang. Car and motor. Form and function. They may well be the perfect Mustang.
Old 5/4/12, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
A Foxbody is a thing of beauty. Simple, clean, especially in LX trim, and Mustang. Car and motor. Form and function. They may well be the perfect Mustang.
As much as people disagree, I think the fox is the most true to the original despite not having triple tail lights or a running horse. Goes to show you what REALLY makes a Mustang a Mustang.
Old 5/5/12, 02:33 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
As much as people disagree, I think the fox is the most true to the original despite not having triple tail lights or a running horse. Goes to show you what REALLY makes a Mustang a Mustang.

No....goes to show you what REALLY makes a pony car a pony car, not necessarily a Mustang

(but I do like Foxes.....I just don't lust after them)
Old 5/5/12, 10:08 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
I'm not sure how you can say "true to original"... must have missed that 60's part. Shark nose, hockey stick/C, quarter windows...

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Definitely clean lines. 80's. Passed one the other day and it was clean.
Old 5/5/12, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Not my favorite design but the *** end is looking way better.

Get the gt between 3200-3400 with IRS and people will buy.

Also update the nav and gauge display, i would look to the viper for inspiration (IMO that's about as good as it gets)

Last edited by Bigjohns97; 5/5/12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 5/5/12, 01:27 PM
Cobra Member

I despise how the Foxes look. To me, not a single aesthetically pleasing element about them, and just about as bland and boring looking as any Mustang has ever appeared.

HOWEVER, I have a ton of respect for the Foxes, not because of how they look, but because I do think they were the last true iteration of what a Mustang should be. Small, light, and you could get them with a dandy little 5.0 too! If only it had some Mustang aesthetic DNA...
Old 5/6/12, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

I think the fox was the car for the times. Most 1980s cars had that simple boxy design language. My 1997 tends to have that jellybean 90s shape to it. I think the 99-04 cars are aging well. They still seem to look fairly modern despite being a couple generations old. I'd like to see Ford take some design cues from the current car with a little 99-04 design.
Old 5/6/12, 05:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I love all Mustangs but,, My Foxes are my favorites, maybe its because I graduated in 82 and the 5.0 came back.. I saved my money and with that i bought my first brand new car.. Its 25 years old now and still drives great with 180,000 on the clock.. Bullet proof 5.0, Light and nimble...
Attached Images  
Old 5/6/12, 05:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A few years later bought this to play with.... There wasnt a place on it where there wasnt a dent....
Attached Images  
Old 5/6/12, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by det97
Topspeed has this render too.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...-ar128490.html

Its more subtle, I like the other one, but I also love my '11.
Looks like an Aston Martin, not a Mustang.
Old 5/6/12, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some parts of that design have potential, but a hatchback?

NO.

Priority one should definitely be putting the Mustang's fat ąss on a diet, regardless of the final look.
Old 5/6/12, 09:44 PM
GT Member

As long as she drives well, and has the power I want I am ok with most design changes. I am hoping for the Evos concept styling. I am sure they will have the halo tail lights and squinty head lights. I think that parked next to my retro styled vert would be cool.
Old 5/7/12, 09:45 AM

The Fox Stang was actually pretty faithful to the overall concept of the Mustang, even if it didn't share many specific stylistic elements beyond a long hood and short deck.

It was based off Ford's pedestrian mid-sized sedan platform--the new Fairmont--was inexpensive, reasonably V8 power (for the day and started acquiring proper power with the '82 GT re-intro) and was fresh and stylish in the context of the day, as was the original Mustang fresh and stylish in the context of its day.

The '79 Stang was a far more serious retort against the gaudy, overstyled and underwhelming Mustang II, a sort of mini luxo-coupe monstrosity of the Disco age that emphasized garish opulence over real performance, all heaped atop a dray Pinto platform that didn't even perform well as a Pinto. The FoxStang introduced a much higher level of engineering seriousness and function, making it a genuine technological step forward over the wayward and backwards Mustang II.

Yes, the Mustang II did keep the name continuously alive during desperate times, but there is little else so recommend it beyond that place holder function.
Old 5/7/12, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I think the fox was the car for the times. Most 1980s cars had that simple boxy design language. My 1997 tends to have that jellybean 90s shape to it. I think the 99-04 cars are aging well. They still seem to look fairly modern despite being a couple generations old. I'd like to see Ford take some design cues from the current car with a little 99-04 design.
Automotive styles are often a counterpoint against what preceded them.

The clean, spare, serious and functional stylings of the late '70s and early '80s Fords, Mustang included, were a counterpoint to the cluttered baroque excesses of the early-mid 70's Fords, Mustang II in particular.

The the succeeding organic/aerodynamic/jelly-bean exemplified by the SN95 was of course a counter reaction to that slide rule, straight edged Fox Stang.

Then the '99 Stang, with its sharp angles and whatnot, was, again, a retort that lead to the retro modern 2005. The retro modern 2005 went a bit more retro yet with the be-hipped 2010 restyle and 2013 refresh.

That the 2015 would be a far more modern interpretation of the Stang then ought not to be terribly surprising, if not exactly what the design traditionalists may prefer. Actually, a very stylish, mod design, in the context of today's (2014-15) world would be very consistent with the original Mustang which was very modern, stylish and a bit global in concept in the context of its day (1964-65). In some ways, the current retro Stang goes very much against the more avant garde spirit of the original even if it does ape many of its specific design elements.

I guess it boils down to, in some degree, whether one associates the Mustang's design with a few specific design elements found on the original, or whether, one considers it more broadly -- how did the Mustang's design fit in overall -- in the context of its day. In that context, it really was more of a fully contemporary design and not some recapitulation of earlier design themes for the most part.
Old 5/8/12, 10:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

From what I have read about the next generation Mustang, I do not think the next Mustang will look at all like the Motor Trend concept. The MT concept looks too much like an evolution of the current Mustang. The next Mustang is suppose to look entirely different from the current Mustang with a few styling cues to make it appear to be a Mustang.

Last edited by 2 Go Snake; 5/8/12 at 10:58 PM.
Old 5/9/12, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops!

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/9/12 at 01:22 AM.
Old 5/9/12, 01:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Every generation of Mustang has followed contemporary surfacing and details found in other Ford models of the time.

Look how closely the first Mustang was related to the Thunderbird, especially with the squared off hardtop roof and dual cowl instrument panel design.

No one can deny the relationship the Torino fastback had with the Mustang. Later in the 70's they also shared similarly dramatic side window profiles and Sport Roof designs.

For 1979, the Mustang picked up the European boxy look that initiated with the 1978 Fairmonts. In the 1983, the Mustang picked up softer facsias influenced by the revolutionary aerodynamic 1983 Thunderbird. By 1987, the Mustang received aero headlamps and grill-less front end panels related in design to the first Taurus and revised Thunderbird.

The Mustang II had a hodge podge look that to me looked like they scaled down the 1972 Torino too small.

For 1994, the Mustang caught up with contemporary Ford styling with no hard edges but also added some classic design elements.

For 2005, the Mustang was given the distinct retro look while using modern surfacing that made it look like it was milled out of solid billet material. This surfacing is also found on the first Fusion.

2010 gave the Mustang a combination of modern Ford Kinetic surfacing and classic Mustang sculpturing changing the simple creases and slab surfaces into multi-dimensional shapes.

It should be no surprise that the next Mustang will pick up the evolved Kinetic shapes that are found in the new Focus, Fusion and Escape.
Old 5/9/12, 09:26 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Badda bing badda boom
Attached Thumbnails Motortrend's prediction on the '15-image-189642491.jpg   Motortrend's prediction on the '15-image-4289547404.jpg  
Old 5/9/12, 11:01 AM
GT Member

I could see Ford doing the inside line version. I just think the tail lights will be more like the 2013 than upside down 10-12's.
Old 5/9/12, 01:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lester

I must agree. TERRIBLE. Looks like they keep axing off the *** end. What gives? Starting to think seriously, good bye stang - hello camaro. Wife's 2010 Camaro SS looks way killer than this toy I have seen in pics. I guess I will have to resort to a used GT 500 :-(
2010 Camaro looks like a HotWheels play toy..... it's cartoonish looking

Quick Reply: Motortrend's prediction on the '15