2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Glass top ?

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/16, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
Personally I don't care about the glass roof. If I want to look at the sky I'll buy a convertible. If I had a glass roof it would spend virtually all of it's time with the shade pulled shut!
I'm sure convertibles are terrific when the weather is just right. But if it's too hot, too cold, too windy, raining, or whatever, you've got a closed roof. With the glass roof, you can enjoy the light and sky regardless of conditions outside. The lack of a glass roof option is the one thing that keeps me from wishing I had a brand new Mustang instead of my 2011. Even nicer than a fixed glass roof would be an extra-large opening glass roof, similar to the one on the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 3/6/16, 04:17 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW
I'm sure convertibles are terrific when the weather is just right. But if it's too hot, too cold, too windy, raining, or whatever, you've got a closed roof.
Too hot:
Top down - A/C on max...windows down...go faster for more circulation

Too cold:
Top down - windows up...max heat...seat warmer on...shorter drives

Too windy:
Top down - less cross-wind resistance...stereo extra loud..natural comb-over (if applicable)

Raining:
Top up - Mustang in garage...drive Fusion

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 3/6/16 at 04:18 PM.
Old 3/6/16, 09:16 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Living in SC, the times of the year when you can use a vert are very limited. Anything over 85 and sunny (with inevitable humidity) is just too hot. I've taken a 3 hour drive when the temps were 40-45, trust me its cold, and anybody with an ounce of sense would not have done so.

I leave the shade on my sunroof in my Explorer open all year round. I even love it in the rain, really cool to see the rain drops form on it. I would absolutely love the S550 to have a glass top, or a sliding top similar to the MKZ

Old 3/7/16, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
A limited number of GT500 owners with lots of disposable income doesn't necessarily make a business case for bringing back a glass roof unless they want to pay more for it. The business case has to reflect the take rate for all Mustang coupes to make it an afforable option and amortize tooling costs. No one knows if the previous glass roof was a bust because of tooling costs vs. the take rate. Ford may also have had to cut it out of the developmental budget to make the rest of the car better.

Personally I don't care about the glass roof. If I want to look at the sky I'll buy a convertible. If I had a glass roof it would spend virtually all of it's time with the shade pulled shut!
I am curious to know how many glassroof cars were built since they introduced it in 2009.

Anyone know? Was it really a sales disappointment?

Maybe the just announced 2020 Mustang will bring it back ... hopeful.
Old 3/7/16, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
Living in SC, the times of the year when you can use a vert are very limited. Anything over 85 and sunny (with inevitable humidity) is just too hot. I've taken a 3 hour drive when the temps were 40-45, trust me its cold, and anybody with an ounce of sense would not have done so.

I leave the shade on my sunroof in my Explorer open all year round. I even love it in the rain, really cool to see the rain drops form on it. I would absolutely love the S550 to have a glass top, or a sliding top similar to the MKZ

Saleen made an opening roof and meant to make it available, but in the end, I think only their prototype was ever built. I would love it.
Old 3/7/16, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I do not know the entire S197 production run... But for the 2014 MY there were fewer than 1964 units with Glass Roof. Fewer than 50th Anniversary cars.
Old 3/7/16, 11:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I do not know the entire S197 production run... But for the 2014 MY there were fewer than 1964 units with Glass Roof. Fewer than 50th Anniversary cars.
I know mine is one of at least 5. After I ordered my car, Brian had ordered 4 others in my exact combo, minus the factory all weather floormats. Track Pack, Recaros, Glass Roof, Electronics Package, Reverse Cam, Manual GT. On the lot when I picked mine up, he had White, SGM, DIB and he had already sold the Ruby Red. So those 4 plus mine...at least 5 with this option combo. I know two other silver 2014s with Glass Roof, manual, reverse cam, EP, but they have 401A interior.
Old 3/8/16, 05:21 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ugh.....makes me want to vomit every time I think about my '14 with glass roof option. It had nearly every option available. I had to go and F*&$ it up by crashing it... By far the best option available. And to learn it was so rare on the '14 MY makes me even more upset.
Old 3/8/16, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I really wish they Mustang had at the very least a sunroof/moon roof option. That is why I got a convertible.
Old 3/8/16, 07:09 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedCostsMoney
I really wish they Mustang had at the very least a sunroof/moon roof option. That is why I got a convertible.
Most of my previous cars, and my present DD Fusion, had/have moon roofs. I found that I rarely used it. My '14 Fusion is a leased leftover and came with the moon roof plus other packages at a monthly payment that was less than a base '15 Fusion, and although I didn't want one, it didn't make sense not to take the car. The moon roof has only been open once when the salesman showed me how everything worked.

For open air smiles nothing beats my GT 'vert. Once you go for a ragtop, a moon roof is a poor substitute. I'm all in favor of glass-topped coupes though.
Old 3/8/16, 11:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I always used the sunroof on my 05 Escape...up until it broke last December, on the way to our annual camping trip after Christmas. Luckily I got it closed. It was icy that night and I think ice formed around the sprockets that turn the glass front/rear. When I tried to open it, we heard a huge bang and then all we heard was the motor spinning but no movement. I'm assuming the sprocket got brittle and cracked. Haven't messed with it since...that is not going to be a fun repair job.
Old 3/9/16, 11:39 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I thought the Glass Roof was an idiotic waste of $2k...and then I sat in one and drove it. I'll never purchase another car without that clear roof over my head. It makes the driving experience so much more engaging. I do wish it opened, but sometimes I'm glad it doesn't (like when my 2005 Escape sunroof broke a few months ago).
For the most part... Glad it does not open though.

I did not realize what it was all about until I test drove a car that just happened to have that option. I really was just wanting to see what the track pack cars were like vs the others. Once I experienced the Glasstop, it was a must have option. Love the openness it gives the car. It would be very tough to give it up.

Hope they decide to bring it back in some form, pano top like the Lincoln MKZ would be interesting....
Attached Thumbnails Glass top ?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/9/16 at 11:41 PM.
Old 3/9/16, 11:50 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by jim010
I am curious to know how many glassroof cars were built since they introduced it in 2009.

Anyone know? Was it really a sales disappointment?

Maybe the just announced 2020 Mustang will bring it back ... hopeful.
I too do not know the total for all years, but according to the build info that I got from Deysha on the 2014's there was only 1918 GT's with this option. Not sure how many V6's or GT500's. But it does make these kinda rare cars.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 3/10/16 at 12:20 AM.
Old 3/10/16, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would have been cool for a glass roof option. Did get the black painted roof option. As an earlier poster mentioned, if it's a black painted roof it's a 2016 unless the roof was painted after the fact by a shop. If there are signal blinkers on the hood vents it's definitely a 2016.