2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford Mustang sales Leap ahead of other sporty cars

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/15, 07:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Does Joe blow driving by the dealership even really know that?
LOL...the 5900 didn't but the ones staying away may know!

As an aside, basing the car on the Cadillac ATS platform and shoehorning the 6.2L V8 in there may be good for Cadillac (a 6.2L ATS someday?) but I think it may harm Camaro sales further...we shall see.
Old 4/7/15, 07:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If the new Camaro is 200lb lighter, guess what...it'll be about the same as the S550 then. The current Camaro and GT are pretty much on par with each other, so yes that drop in weight and slight hp bump may put the Camaro back out in front with the R/T SP, but Ford won't just sit around. 2017 refresh will have a power bump, guaranteed. 2016 Mustang will bring back some of the cosmetic packages and the GT350. 2017 will bring the hammer. Watch and see...
Old 4/7/15, 08:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RedGTs
That's the thing, the new Mustang is all new and is still slower than the Scat Pack Challenger. The GT350 will cost a lot more than a $37,XXX Scat Pack too so they're not even comparable models. It's too bad Ford blew it's chance to come out on top for performance with the introduction of their new car. It is disappointing when straight line performace is so important to many buyers in this car segment. Don't get me wrong, the new Mustang is a great overall car, I just wish the GT was faster.
I understand your point but Ford seemed to put a lot of emphasis at the launch events on handling and road course speed as opposed to drag racing times. It shows in the twisties on everday roads. The Challenger (and Charger) seem to be all about making fast trap speeds but according to Motorweek's reviews they handle rather squirrely. I know that the USA buyer is all fixated on drag race times but, in my opinion, Ford is trying to move into track speed. Seems more mature.

Knowing that the S550 GT with the PP laps the road course at similar times as the track oriented Boss 302 was just as jaw dropping for me as finding out a 2013 GT 5.0L blows the S550 GT's doors off in the quarter.
Old 4/7/15, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wildsailor
I understand your point but Ford seemed to put a lot of emphasis at the launch events on handling and road course speed as opposed to drag racing times. It shows in the twisties on everday roads. The Challenger (and Charger) seem to be all about making fast trap speeds but according to Motorweek's reviews they handle rather squirrely. I know that the USA buyer is all fixated on drag race times but, in my opinion, Ford is trying to move into track speed. Seems more mature. Knowing that the S550 GT with the PP laps the road course at similar times as the track oriented Boss 302 was just as jaw dropping for me as finding out a 2013 GT 5.0L blows the S550 GT's doors off in the quarter.
A couple of tenths faster (maybe, depending on conditions and drivers), is not blowing the doors off in the quarter. Faster, yes, but not by a huge margin. Elevation, tires and driver mod can make or break that 0.1-0.2 difference.
Old 4/7/15, 02:27 PM
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Front Page News!

definitely front page news!
https://themustangsource.com/mustang...-camaro-13762/
Old 4/7/15, 09:37 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by 15BluStang
To me the 2016 Camaro looks like a blown up Hot Wheels model. They must of had a bunch of 10 year old boys design it.
What do you think the current Camaro looks like ? All GM really did was take the current body, did a few re-fresh tweaks here and there and then slapped it upon it's lighter Alpha/ATS platform.. Other than that, it's still the same old blown up Hot Wheels model
Old 4/7/15, 10:12 PM

That's the thing, the new Mustang is all new and is still slower than the Scat Pack Challenger. The GT350 will cost a lot more than a $37,XXX Scat Pack too so they're not even comparable models. It's too bad Ford blew it's chance to come out on top for performance with the introduction of their new car. It is disappointing when straight line performace is so important to many buyers in this car segment. Don't get me wrong, the new Mustang is a great overall car, I just wish the GT was faster.
I'm sure they'll be other variants just as there were during the S197 years.. In the meantime Ford has taken the new Mustang global and is more concerned with competing on a much broader scale by designing a more refined/better handling car to compete head to head with the likes such as BMW, Audi, Lexus and so forth..

Also bear in mind that straight line performance is only important to just 1/4 of Mustang buyers as Ford's main objective is to make money from cars that appeal to the masses and not by catering to just a select few !
Old 4/8/15, 04:13 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Drag racing is no small matter for the Mustang, easily the most dominant form of racing people are involved in on and off the track. Chances are if somebody is buying a GT they are going drag racing. I suspect people buying the EB will predominantly go for ride and handling and the sixxer crowd if you want to paint a broad label is going in for the looks and the ride.

And even if drag racers account for 25% of all Mustang buyers that's still a good amount and not something to ignore as Ford has repeatedly demonstrated. Right out of the gate FRPP released upgraded half-shafts and an upgraded rear sub-frame, not because the road course guys were going to have a problem with half shafts and a sub-frame getting all squirrely - those items are there so the guy strapping on a set of slicks doesn't blow the rear end out.

Ford's nod to the road course guys is baked in the basic car and with the performance pack but even with that the Mustang as a average guy hardcore driver's car isn't quite were it needs to be. The zeta chassis in 1LE form is still a step above the GT in performance pack form so Ford has room to improve.

Anyways I've seen all this before, remember when the F5 showed up and the 4th Gen F-body guys were complaining about refinement over raw performance. Thats largely died down and the nutswingers in the bow-tie camp don't seem to mind to much.
Old 4/8/15, 12:14 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,704 Posts
Quit insulting HotWheels!!!!!
Old 4/8/15, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Camaro has all new sheetmetal, it isn't just slapped onto a new chassis. It looks boring however. Just like how Chevy screwed up the Malibu's styling the last time around.
Maybe the 5.0 will get DI next year? Ford will keep the Mustang competitive/on top.
Old 4/8/15, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Quit insulting HotWheels!!!!!
I thought I was insulting the 10 year old boys Chevy hired.
Old 4/8/15, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The camaro will be back with a vengeance, I think it will be pretty sick with that 450-460hp motor, weight similar to mustang, and a platform that we know can perform.
Now we need Dodge to make an amazing 2018 Challenger model , and put a 6.4 with few improvements for a 500HP motor in the R/T and replace the 5.7.
Old 4/8/15, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by grrr428
The Camaro has all new sheetmetal, it isn't just slapped onto a new chassis. It looks boring however. Just like how Chevy screwed up the Malibu's styling the last time around.
Maybe the 5.0 will get DI next year? Ford will keep the Mustang competitive/on top.
All new sheet metal ? yeah right take a good look at the latest spy photos without the camo and it pretty much looks like the outgoing 2015 with the exception of a slightly shorter wheelbase, lower roof and some minor tweaks in the front/rear fascia.. Other than that, the basic overall shape remains un-changed including that hideous rear glass which continues to cause the same old blind spots as the current model
Old 4/8/15, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by bob
Drag racing is no small matter for the Mustang, easily the most dominant form of racing people are involved in on and off the track. Chances are if somebody is buying a GT they are going drag racing. I suspect people buying the EB will predominantly go for ride and handling and the sixxer crowd if you want to paint a broad label is going in for the looks and the ride.

And even if drag racers account for 25% of all Mustang buyers that's still a good amount and not something to ignore as Ford has repeatedly demonstrated. Right out of the gate FRPP released upgraded half-shafts and an upgraded rear sub-frame, not because the road course guys were going to have a problem with half shafts and a sub-frame getting all squirrely - those items are there so the guy strapping on a set of slicks doesn't blow the rear end out.

Ford's nod to the road course guys is baked in the basic car and with the performance pack but even with that the Mustang as a average guy hardcore driver's car isn't quite were it needs to be. The zeta chassis in 1LE form is still a step above the GT in performance pack form so Ford has room to improve.

Anyways I've seen all this before, remember when the F5 showed up and the 4th Gen F-body guys were complaining about refinement over raw performance. Thats largely died down and the nutswingers in the bow-tie camp don't seem to mind to much.
I'm not saying that I disagree, however as I previously mentioned, now that Ford is marketing the Mustang globally, they're also looking to expand their customer base outside of North America by appealing to the European market and not just here in the U.S anymore..

The same however can't be said for the Camaro and especially for the Challenger as they remain based in the North American market..

At any rate, I may not agree with Ford's reasoning but never the less, it is what it is
Old 4/8/15, 07:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I'm not saying that I disagree, however as I previously mentioned, now that Ford is marketing the Mustang globally, they're also looking to expand their customer base outside of North America by appealing to the European market and not just here in the U.S anymore..

The same however can't be said for the Camaro and especially for the Challenger as they remain based in the North American market..

At any rate, I may not agree with Ford's reasoning but never the less, it is what it is
I swear I read somewhere that gm is selling the current Camaro in Europe. Thats why they change the taillights to those ugly ones.
Old 4/8/15, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
I swear I read somewhere that gm is selling the current Camaro in Europe. Thats why they change the taillights to those ugly ones.
I heard about that too, but I haven't seen any confirmation from GM as of yet.. But I definitely agree about those tail lights and maybe it's just me, but from those latest spy photos, it almost seems like the Camaro has a similar looking built in ducktail spoiler as the Mustang now has
Old 4/9/15, 02:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

People who feel their Mustang GT is not fast enough will just add a supercharger. A good number of people who buy Mustangs want a car that is compatible with aftermarket performance enhancers like superchargers and turbos. Ford builds the Mustang so it will accept performance upgrades and still function well. The Mustang has a nice design and a beautiful interior that will win over buyers. The Mustang should continue to sell well for at least the next couple of years.
Old 4/10/15, 06:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I heard about that too, but I haven't seen any confirmation from GM as of yet.. But I definitely agree about those tail lights and maybe it's just me, but from those latest spy photos, it almost seems like the Camaro has a similar looking built in ducktail spoiler as the Mustang now has
I'm sure you guys knew this but the tail light design change on the Camaro was intended to look like the extremely sought after 1969 Camaro...
Old 4/10/15, 07:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sure you guys knew this but the tail light design change on the Camaro was intended to look like the extremely sought after 1969 Camaro...
I just had to look up a pic of a 69 camaro. I still dont like them, they look like they came from a sedan.
Old 4/10/15, 11:20 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,704 Posts
Still doesn't help!

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang sales Leap ahead of other sporty cars