2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ford announces next Mustang for Europe with 30 second video

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/12, 11:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if things like this will result in Ford lobbying to have USDOT etc regulations harmonized with ECE regs. The problem is government owned GM is probably not going to want that. Ford may stick with the different reg sets as well as to avoid making things easier on other automakers.
Old 9/10/12, 08:26 AM

Last Cougar was based off the Mondeo/Contour platform. Its problem wasn't that it was too big, but too soft and insipid, especially as compared to the spry and perky Probe GT that preceded it. That trotted around a nice Cougar S concept that unfortunately never saw the light of day and thus, another FWD Ford sport coupe withered away.

The Euro Capri was a completely different car from the Mustang, even if very similar in overall concept with both cars being sort of EuroAmerican amalgams with the Stang trending more towards American idioms while the Capri more towards the Euro side, especially in size and economy.

The last American RWD Capri did share a same basic platform, body and drivetrain with the Stang, much as the Camaro and Firebird had for years. That version was not sold in Europe IIRC, with the older Euro Capri soldiering on there for a while longer.

Perhaps with the 2015 Stang downsized enough, it could be the basis for a Euro Capri (III?) with unique styling treatments. I would rather think that the Stang would go over as is, sold as a Stang, with perhaps a smaller FWD/AWD Capri coupe slotting in under it based on the Focus platform (perhaps to be sold here too by Lincoln?), which would appeal to that market and help with CAFE requirements making room for more V8 Stangs.
Old 9/11/12, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I'm more interested in how Ford market the car over here. There's a lot of badge snobbery, and people would rather drive a BMW or Audi rather than a Ford (ok, I drive a 3 series as my daily driver, but I love my Mustang a lot more, LOL)

If they want to meet those marques head on, the '15 will need to be faster, better equiped and have interior "quality" to match those German brands. And it would have to undercut them on price.

If Ford try and sell it on heritage (lets face it, that why the S197 appealed so much, to me at least) then a modern Euro look would make no sense.

Its not so much brand snobbery as it is they feel Americans can't make good cars. Now Ford of Europe is in a different league and is highly regarded in Europe. You kind of hit on some of the points in regards to the interior and a lack of a good IRS. The 2015 Mustang will probably go a long way in rectifying the issues. As far as being less expensive..I don't think that will happen due to all the taxes in Europe. A Mustang in Japan starts off at $46k and I don't think it will be any different. Unless they can build the Mustang in Europe.

The current Mustang is already being sold in Japan..

http://www.ford.co.jp/cars/mustang

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 9/11/12 at 10:00 AM.
Old 9/11/12, 01:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Badge snobbery is also here in the us. American car magazines cram down our throughts that German cars are better. Not only in comparisons with American cars but also Asian cars. Perfect example would be 3 series vs infinity g, the g equals the 3 in performance and costs 10k less but the beemer " feels better ". Same with Corvette vs Porsche, the vette is the better performer for half the price.
Old 9/11/12, 01:30 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Even IF it appeared to dust the competition on the other side of the pond...
....the interiors and gadgets would win the comparison.

The vette...my god....the cobalt level interior should never be on that car.
Old 9/11/12, 03:56 PM

Are you aware that GM is only selling the 6.2L V8 Camaro in Europe? The price is pretty much the same as for imported Camaro V8s and differences between the US and the export versions are minor.
For the 2015 Mustang I can well imagine that the 2.0L Ecoboost rated at 250hp will be an option. Lots of people would still be willing to buy the V8 equipped version if Ford will offer it.
Old 9/11/12, 04:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOSS1240
Are you aware that GM is only selling the 6.2L V8 Camaro in Europe? The price is pretty much the same as for imported Camaro V8s and differences between the US and the export versions are minor.
For the 2015 Mustang I can well imagine that the 2.0L Ecoboost rated at 250hp will be an option. Lots of people would still be willing to buy the V8 equipped version if Ford will offer it.
Who said anything about a 2.0? I doubt Ford will lower the horsepower numbers or offer different engine choices in the Euro car. I suspect they'll start with one car with a limited number of options and expand based on market and customer demands.
Old 9/11/12, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
If that is true then it explains the theory I suggested many months ago that the rear license plate pocket was widened to accommodate longer plates.
That black piece on the 2013 will have to be replaced because even though the overall width might accommodate it, the area where the plate resides within it is still only sized for the North American market.

PS - Actually, I wonder if Japan plates fit in it now.
Old 9/11/12, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love my mustang and the legend and history of the car but i wish ford would start bringing over from australia the ford falcon fpv models.

That ute is amazing
Old 9/11/12, 09:18 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
I love my mustang and the legend and history of the car but i wish ford would start bringing over from australia the ford falcon fpv models.

That ute is amazing
Even if the Falcon was capable of being a LHD car, the current exchange rate would jack the price on it. This has famously backfired on GM - Right now (levies aside) its cheaper to produce a car in the US than it is in Australia or Canada given the exchange rate.
Old 9/11/12, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
Who said anything about a 2.0? I doubt Ford will lower the horsepower numbers or offer different engine choices in the Euro car. I suspect they'll start with one car with a limited number of options and expand based on market and customer demands.
250hp, 250ft lb of torque, 0-60 in 6.5 sec, 35mpg, and a top speed of 150mph does not sound like downsizing performance, e.g. compared to the 4L V6. Numbers are for the Focus ST.
With taxes based on CO2 emissions (approx. 1000 USD per year for the Coyote in Germany) and gas prices reaching almost 10USD per gal, there is no way around smaller engines to reach reasonable sales figures.
Let's wait and see what Ford will offer. So far all we are discussing is rumors only.

Last edited by BOSS1240; 9/11/12 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added gas mileage
Old 9/12/12, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Badge snobbery is also here in the us. American car magazines cram down our throughts that German cars are better. Not only in comparisons with American cars but also Asian cars. Perfect example would be 3 series vs infinity g, the g equals the 3 in performance and costs 10k less but the beemer " feels better ". Same with Corvette vs Porsche, the vette is the better performer for half the price.
Well, for a long time, that was largely true (think of your typical '70s or '80s American car, most, though not all, were pretty awful, sorry to say). However, American car companies have made immense strides in all areas of automotive excellence, even the more subject, qualitative and difficult to do -- yet vitally important -- areas such as "feel," balance and perceived quality.

Yes, some American and Asian cars may post the same quantitive numbers as, say, a BMW 3 Series, but the briefest of drives will often show that yes, BMW does take it up a notch beyon those raw numbers and deliver a subjective, qualitative experience not readily captured on a data panel.

That all said, I think the current Mustang shows just how well Ford is doing on that more ethereal level in that the current Stang not only does the easy stuff well, delivering big numbers, but also is delivering a great overall driving experience with very good dynamics and attention to the myriad of little details such as surface texture, control movements and NVH. I imagine the 2015 will but the Stang at the head of the pack or beyond on all levels, including such deservedly stellar marques as BMW or Audi, and at much lower price points.
Old 9/14/12, 08:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

In Europe, annual registration is really expensive for vehicles over 2.0L in engine size, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ford decides to add 2.0L EcoBoost from Focus ST in the Mustang.
For an example, it would currently cost ~$350.00 to register a 250 hp 2.0L (EcoBoost) Mustang. It would cost $2,400.00 to register a 365 hp 3.5L Mustang.
Even a 2.3L (EcoBoost) Mustang rated at, lets say 300 hp, would cost $750.00.
That's a huge difference in the price and can make a huge difference whether Mustang sells well in Europe or not.
Old 9/15/12, 10:58 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zastava_101

In Europe, annual registration is really expensive for vehicles over 2.0L in engine size, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ford decides to add 2.0L EcoBoost from Focus ST in the Mustang.
For an example, it would currently cost ~$350.00 to register a 250 hp 2.0L (EcoBoost) Mustang. It would cost $2,400.00 to register a 365 hp 3.5L Mustang.
Even a 2.3L (EcoBoost) Mustang rated at, lets say 300 hp, would cost $750.00.
That's a huge difference in the price and can make a huge difference whether Mustang sells well in Europe or not.
That's fine, but people aren't going to buy this car for a small motor. It's going to be the V8 that moves in Europe. How many people import V6 Mustangs in Europe? Anyone?
Old 9/15/12, 11:46 PM
Cobra R Member

That's fine, but people aren't going to buy this car for a small motor. It's going to be the V8 that moves in Europe. How many people import V6 Mustangs in Europe? Anyone?
I think you need to look at overall sales. The v6 will sell just as well in Europe as in north America. Its got most of the looks with decent performance for a lot less cash. In the case of importing a mustang, its as expensive process so most wouldn't go for the 6er. If it is readily available people will buy the base car in big numbers, heck even I'm impressed with the 3.7 in the base mustang!
Old 9/16/12, 01:06 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you need to look at overall sales. The v6 will sell just as well in Europe as in north America. Its got most of the looks with decent performance for a lot less cash. In the case of importing a mustang, its as expensive process so most wouldn't go for the 6er. If it is readily available people will buy the base car in big numbers, heck even I'm impressed with the 3.7 in the base mustang!
It's not always about the Mustang having the biggest baddest V8. Some people act like the Mustang should go exclusively with a V8 when historically it has always been the mission of the Mustang to appeal to buyers by offering a wide spectrum of performance, options, efficiency and affordability. Europe is already used to smaller engine displacements because petrol is expensive and balancing fuel efficiency with performance is a greater priority.

Europe has not had a sporty Ford coupe since the Puma and Cougar were discontinued. It's also been a long time since the RWD Capri has been out of production. There is certainly going to be some interest in the next Mustang whether people are looking for something more personal and stylish than a sedan, someone looking for a vehicle that has some virtues of the former Capri, or those who may have always dreamed about owning the American Mustang.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/16/12 at 01:09 AM.
Old 9/16/12, 08:53 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

The v6 will sell just as well in Europe as in north America.
It's going to be the V8 that moves in Europe.
I find that very hard to believe. I don't think Ford will be able to sell more than few thousand Mustangs annually in Europe and most of those will be EcoBoost I4.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 9/16/12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 9/16/12, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was really hoping for a Next-gen platform based Capri. When I hear MUSTANG in my mind i can only hear the thunder of America. Lets hope the guys at Ford don`t water down the legend...
Old 9/16/12, 10:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
I find that very hard to believe. I don't think Ford will be able to sell more than few thousand Mustangs annually in Europe and most of those will be EcoBoost I4.
It'll be interesting for sure. I agree I can't see more than a few thousand sales a year in Europe.......but I'd have liked those limited sales to be to muscle car aficionados, and those people would want a V8.

The market is already full of alternatives coupes from a host of other marques, and the majority of those are either 4-cylinders or diesels

I'd like to see the Mustang marketed as a full fat American muscle car over here......just as we currently like it.

Having said that, Camaro sales in Europe (in the UK, we only get the V8) are in the hundreds, not thousands.
Old 9/16/12, 11:52 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Having said that, Camaro sales in Europe (in the UK, we only get the V8) are in the hundreds, not thousands.
Isn't the 6.2L only (no V6 option) available in all of Europe, not just UK?

Quick Reply: Ford announces next Mustang for Europe with 30 second video