2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Detailed interior shots 10/1/13

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/13, 07:52 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
This was my point. The GTO is the only coupe that I can think of that I wouldn't mind sitting in the back seat of.
I think the IRS design helps it by placing the seating position lower and tilted back for a natural recline. Post them pics!
I'll have to get my "gumption" up to do it. In the meantime, just Google GTO rear seats and you'll see lots of pics.

On a side note, it would be cool to see the Mustang offer different color interiors in the upcoming Mustang other than black,brown and red. I like the blue guts in my GTO. Love to have a yellow Mustang with black and yellow seats. (I like bright colors).
Old 10/2/13, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this center stack reminds me of the previous Escape, back when it was boxy. This is not a compliment. That center stack was very utilitarian and not modern or sleek in any way. The center stack of the Mustang should be modern and sleek. Now I'm definitely a fan of the physical buttons over the touch sensitive ones they have in some of their current products. But this arrangement looks like it belongs in an SUV from about a decade ago.

As for the features that are visible... THANK YOU FORD!!!! I have been hoping for cooled seats and BLIS. I'm just hoping these features will be available with a stick. (I've already given up hope that adaptive cruise will be available with stick).
Old 10/2/13, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Item first on the interior refresh should be losing the cheap, hard plastic door panels. Honestly, the only thing I disliked about my Mustang(s).
Old 10/2/13, 11:09 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
This was my point. The GTO is the only coupe that I can think of that I wouldn't mind sitting in the back seat of.
I think the IRS design helps it by placing the seating position lower and tilted back for a natural recline. Post them pics!
That's one of the advantages of an IRS, it fits in a more compact space allowing the car to shrink or provide better interior space or both.

Despite being a smaller overall package, an SRA needs a lot of space to move in.

If Ford had kept the SRA or went with a the nightmare of a plug & play rear suspension they probably would have had to kept the current dimensions of the car or close to it.

On the width thing, I'm perplexed, if Ford is looking to move into other countries it seems to me going with a wider car would be counterproductive.

GM for example in going from the C5 to C6 narrowed the car as well to increase its appeal to European buyers.
Old 10/2/13, 11:18 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Item first on the interior refresh should be losing the cheap, hard plastic door panels. Honestly, the only thing I disliked about my Mustang(s).
Hard plastic door panels hold up better, soft touch is nice but I'm not really a fan after the vinyl inserts started sagging on my GT500 . I went to the dealer and asked how much to replace the panels since the vinyl parts are integral and it would be 1820.00 bucks sans any labor if I let them do it to replace the door panels due to the sagging vinyl inserts.

Of course the much cheaper alternative is to either glue the inserts in place which doesn't look so good in my opinion or have them fixed at an upholstery place for 200-400 dollars (provided they don't do the same thing and just glue the vinyl in place without the foam backing).

I'd rather have an interior that's going to hold up for 20+ years with decent care rather than one that only holds up for 5 years and could cost hundreds or thousands of dollars to maintain. This might not mean much to a V6 or GT buyer who is likely to trade the car in after its paid off but for SE guys planning on keeping the car its a bigger issue.
Old 10/2/13, 12:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Crappy cheap plastics will not be acceptable to European buyers. If Ford want to be taken seriously here, the interior needs to be at least as good as a new Fusion.

In this day and age interiors should use quality materials, be both well built and durable. Those qualities shouldn't be mutually exclusive
Old 10/2/13, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Free Agent
I suppose I could. Just look up the specs on the dimensions and it tells you the story of rear seat room. I can sit comfortably in the back of my GTO with a reasonable amount of leg room and without having to slump in the seat to avoid hitting my head. I've sat in the back of the current Mustang and it is not even close to having the same amount of room. I'm only 5'9 and I feel like a circus clown bursting out the back of one of those tiny circus cars when I crawl out of the rear of the Mustang. Camaro is about the same as well. GTO was based on the Commodore sedan of the time and shows the rear seat leg, head and shoulder room. I don't expect the Mustang to offer the same. As I've said I wouldn't buy a Mustang for the back seat. As the father of a growing 12 year old having him sit in the rear on occasion is a concern but not a big one. We never use the back seat in our GTO anyway, that is what the G8 GT is for. If it loses back seat space, it isn't a deal breaker for me. It would just be nice to maintain OR gain a precious inch or 2 back there. It will be hard to do with the Mustang shrinking. I'll wait until official rear seat space numbers are released for the final verdict.
Huh? im 5'10 and I was able to have like 2-3'' of headroom in the back of the mustang, my legs were crammed to the point were i had to get out to stretch
Old 10/2/13, 12:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by The_Munk
Huh? im 5'10 and I was able to have like 2-3'' of headroom in the back of the mustang, my legs were crammed to the point were i had to get out to stretch
I carry a lot of length in my torso not so much in my legs. Ask my wife, when I adjust the seat I lower the seat and move it forward. She is the opposite, longer legs, shorter torso and moves the seat upwards and backwards. Everyone is built differently.
Old 10/2/13, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Crappy cheap plastics will not be acceptable to European buyers. If Ford want to be taken seriously here, the interior needs to be at least as good as a new Fusion.

In this day and age interiors should use quality materials, be both well built and durable. Those qualities shouldn't be mutually exclusive
Good point. I hope they are.
Old 10/2/13, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Free Agent
I carry a lot of length in my torso not so much in my legs. Ask my wife, when I adjust the seat I lower the seat and move it forward. She is the opposite, longer legs, shorter torso and moves the seat upwards and backwards. Everyone is built differently.
lol you just made realize i have some long legs
Old 10/2/13, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 10/2/13, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
On the width thing, I'm perplexed, if Ford is looking to move into other countries it seems to me going with a wider car would be counterproductive.

That depends on how they are marketing it. Assuming it's going to be right around the 74-75 inches wide and 50-52 inches tall mark it will have similar dimensions to a Jaguar XF or Aston Martin DB9. And if the latest renders are anything to go by it also happens to share more than a slight resemblance to the DB9 in particular.

DB9 styling at a price a normal person could afford... I can see that being huge overseas.
Old 10/2/13, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Some of the plastics elsewhere in the interior need to be upgraded too, not just the door panels.
Old 10/2/13, 04:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple of points, having come to my Mustang from my last BMW, a 335i Coupe.

Interiors colours other than black would be nice

I too hated the hard plastic especially on the doors

Glad we finally have IRS... The Boss may be faster than any of my previous Bimmers but it was scarier at the limit.

Rear seat room is about space and light. Most of the coupes I had failed in this department as much as the Mustang, but again referencing BMW, the current outgoing 3 Series coupe is surprisingly spacious back there.
Old 10/2/13, 04:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
Hard plastic door panels hold up better, soft touch is nice but I'm not really a fan after the vinyl inserts started sagging on my GT500...
Aren't the Mustang and maybe F150 the only models in the Ford inventory that don't have nice soft-touch door panels?
Old 10/2/13, 06:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Aren't the Mustang and maybe F150 the only models in the Ford inventory that don't have nice soft-touch door panels?
Probably so, not that it would stop me from buying a new Mustang to be honest but I wish I had a "five year down the road vision" to see how things hold up.

The sagging vinyl insert is my only real peeve about the 05-09 interior, maybe if they would have just bonded the vinyl directly to the hard board backing from the get go?????

Then again the brief amount of time I spent in the Focus ST and Fiesta ST at the Ecoboost Event the interior wasn't even on the radar, I was more concerned about how they performed.

A consequence of having grown up in the 70's and 80's perhaps but interior quality just doesn't place high on the demand list. I'd be perfectly happy with a plastic interior with an ignition key, roll up windows, and non power, heated or cooled seats. That stuff is nice but it ultimately adds to the cost of ownership when it goes **** up.

That's probably also the reason I get a laugh out of "if this Mustang doesn't have blah, or blah-bitty-blah its going to be deal breaker" when it comes to things like keyless entry, push button starter and the new minimum technical standard of direct injection.
Old 10/2/13, 07:20 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I swear people seem to skip over the comments that say the finish on the interior is not the final product....
Old 10/2/13, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2

Rear seat room is about space and light. Most of the coupes I had failed in this department as much as the Mustang, but again referencing BMW, the current outgoing 3 Series coupe is surprisingly spacious back there.

That's because the 3 series coupes are really just 2 door sedans. They're all built on a 4 door sedan chassis.

That's why you get good back seat space in a Dodge Charger or Pontiac GTO as well. They're coupes built on 4 door sedan chassis.
Old 10/2/13, 09:44 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Too many buttons. Too many on the steering wheel and too many ill clustered ones on the center stack. Also, if you're gonna offer paddle shifters, (they're going to suck on a non twin disk clutch trans, makes them a different form of shifting the normal lever on an auto) there needs to be more room between the paddles and the levers behind them. The wipers are much too close.

That rear quarter window looks sick as hell from the inside.
Old 10/3/13, 08:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
I swear people seem to skip over the comments that say the finish on the interior is not the final product....
facts get in the way of an argument they wanted to make

Quick Reply: Detailed interior shots 10/1/13