2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/15, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air Intakes

I've heard a lot of opinions about the practicality of CAIs.A lot of folks opinions are that they are not worth the money and that the Ford standard intake is just as good as what you can buy. Has anyone done the research that can show one way or the other which way to go? Also, what is the preferred brand for max performance benefit? I hear a lot about the Airaid inlet (it looks good ) but don't know that much about it.
Old 6/9/15, 07:23 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Call American muscle. Ask for tech. Support. But after many calls it boils down to this.
It seems there are couple brands that gets mentioned and adding one of the popular brands to your car only gains you about 10 to 15 hp. At the crank or maybe 10 hp at the wheels. To me the cold air intake by itself isn't worth the trouble for 300+dollars. But if you add a cold air intake and buy a tune kit (American muscle or cjpony parts) and install a computer tune you gain dyno tested about total of 45 wheel horse power. Now is 45 whp or 55 to 60 crank hp worth 600+ dollars?? I'm waiting for ford racing performance to come out with they're after market cai and tune kit because it removes fear of a voided warranty. My 2015 gt is 2 mos. New to me. Service warns adding some after market products may affect warranty if there is a failure related to the added performance part. But ford racing products have they're
Own warranty. They told me if car has a failure related to the add on part its covered on they're warranty but if the failure isn't related to the add on part then ford fact. Warranty should cover a service issue.
The ford racing and performance div. Isn't coming out with they're cai til fall.

Last edited by kponypower; 6/9/15 at 07:24 AM.
Old 6/9/15, 08:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
It was a no-brainer for me. I picked up a Steeda CAI and unlocked tuner from a friend for $200 when he sold his car.
Old 6/9/15, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
It was a no-brainer for me. I picked up a Steeda CAI and unlocked tuner from a friend for $200 when he sold his car.
Yes, that is a no-brainer!

For the 2015, here is our unit which is getting a lot of attention on another forum that is about the S550:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-ultimat...5-gt-555-3202/

Here are some customer testimonials regarding the subject:

NICHOLAS
Installed, uploaded tune ran for 1,000 miles. So far so good. Just went and had dyno numbers done, and she pulled 410 HP and 391 TQ with the Cold Air and Steeda tune. Now this is with the restriction plate in and an Outlaw Flowmaster cat-back sytem in, so there is no telling how well this thing will do with the retstriction plate out and a new tune in.
STEEDA CAI AND TUNE REVIEW
Cold Air Intake:
First thing first, this set was huge! When the box arrived I thought it was something my wife might have ordered or something
When i opened it i was happily surprised by what all was in there as i was expecting just the cone and pipe. The filter included is HUGE like practical joke big and it has the end cap on it has more filter material allowing for even more airflow. I had a similar set up on my old 350Z and i loved the sound from it. The tubing is substantially thick plastic that seemed pretty clean on the seams and all the holes were clear of plastic and were properly sized. Another feature that I hadn't expected was the aluminum velocity stack's build quality. I was honestly expecting either plastic wrapped in a beer can or just a beer can.. When i saw the stack i was very impressed as the welds and measurements were flawless. Even the restrictor that came with it fit like a glove. Putting all these together makes for a nice package with a very high end feel, a clean look and a feeling of confidence in my purchase.

After the install I fired it up and immediately fell in love with the sound. It lines up with the "scoop" in the hood so with the window down and the sound tube in place the sound under load is incredible. Throttle response was snappier and power felt around the same. MPG dropped but thats cause i couldn't stay out of it! otherwise it seemed like about a 1 MPG gain on the hwy.

Tuner:
The SCT X4 seems like a pretty decent tuner, i ran a diablosport intune on my old challenger and i'd say the load time is comparable but the SCT seems more responsive. Tune went on without an issue although when it tunes the car unlike the dodge that just sits in acc mode, the mustang cuts out all the lights in the car thus ensuring my crimping of my seat fabric thinking i just bricked my car... after i took a breath and came to peace with the idea of listening to my wife's "i told you so's" for the next year it came back to life. When i loaded up the tune it worked and worked well. I felt a noticeable difference in the power delivery and the smoothness of acceleration. Felt like butter, really fast butter. Torque down low felt much more available and it pulls harder. Not sure on the numbers as i live an hour from a dyno and i'm not only broke but lazy as well for that sort of stuff..

Steeda:
I've never messed with this company before as I was previously an import or Mopar man. That being said every single experience i've had with these guys has been an absolute pleasure. They were not only quick to handle issues reported on this site but also through email and reached out to call and put me in touch with the tuner during later hours. They quickly answered all my questions and concerns and have effectively won me over as a true supporter. I'm actually going to put their sticker on the car.. who knows how much HP that will add but its going to be a first for me as stickers usually hit the toolbox.
BRIAN MOFFAT
I installed the intake and stock tune about a week ago and it really wakes the car up. Removal of the factory resonator give my pony a much deeper sound and response is much crisper. I opted to keep the sound tube installed, and the rubber air box seal is tough to bend around some of the corners (a hair dryer will help get the rubber to bend and stay in place. Instructions were not too touch to follow (this was my first time installing a CAI) but could have been make a bit clearer. All in all it is money well spent.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-ultimat....Vf8QLq9o.dpuf

ith both the Steeda cold air intake with restrictor and our tune which is for a stock setup, the gains were 23.22 rwhp and 15.16 ft lbs tq over our stock pull!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 6/9/15, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kponypower
Call American muscle. Ask for tech. Support. But after many calls it boils down to this.
It seems there are couple brands that gets mentioned and adding one of the popular brands to your car only gains you about 10 to 15 hp. At the crank or maybe 10 hp at the wheels. To me the cold air intake by itself isn't worth the trouble for 300+dollars. But if you add a cold air intake and buy a tune kit (American muscle or cjpony parts) and install a computer tune you gain dyno tested about total of 45 wheel horse power. Now is 45 whp or 55 to 60 crank hp worth 600+ dollars?? I'm waiting for ford racing performance to come out with they're after market cai and tune kit because it removes fear of a voided warranty. My 2015 gt is 2 mos. New to me. Service warns adding some after market products may affect warranty if there is a failure related to the added performance part. But ford racing products have they're
Own warranty. They told me if car has a failure related to the add on part its covered on they're warranty but if the failure isn't related to the add on part then ford fact. Warranty should cover a service issue.
The ford racing and performance div. Isn't coming out with they're cai til fall.
Ken, thanks for the info. I agree. My GT is only 2 weeks old and I worry about the warranty also. I'm trying to add as many Ford racing parts to keep any issues clean with Ford. I'm sure it will need a tune but I'll let my dealer do it, it can't cost as much as a tuner and it keep things clean. Thanks again.
Old 6/10/15, 08:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
If you are concerned about your warranty & adding aftermarket parts ... then you should read up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Also, when purchasing parts, read the disclaimer & warranty restrictions ... you will be surprised as to what they warranty.

You can read this article we did about our parts ... it is a little older ... but still a good read:

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2010/08/y...-steeda-parts/

Best Regards,

TJ