2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

5.0 Litre engine production to start

Old 12/4/09, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 Litre engine production to start

Read in this morning's Windsor Star newspaper that February 1st is the day for the start of production for the new 5.0 L. engine at Ford"s Essex engine plant in Windsor,Ontario.
Old 12/4/09, 08:47 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Job1 seems to have been shifted a bit then.
Probably making sure its absolutely ready and perfect to go.
Old 12/4/09, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

If job 1 for Coyote is February 1, what does this mean for the start of GT production?
Old 12/4/09, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
If job 1 for Coyote is February 1, what does this mean for the start of GT production?
Job 1 is March.

Also, everything is on schedule. I remember Feb 2010 for the 5.0 was scheduled earlier this year.
Old 12/4/09, 05:20 PM
Cobra Member

it means it makes sense to introduce the 5.0 in january and start production on the 1st of Feb.

we have waited this long, another month or so wouldnt hurt.
Old 12/4/09, 06:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by classix_stang289
it means it makes sense to introduce the 5.0 in january and start production on the 1st of Feb.

we have waited this long, another month or so wouldnt hurt.
It is starting to hurt belive me. All this talk for so long about the 5.0 motor, job1, plant ready to build the engine, bla, bla, bla, and here we are not knowing anything official from Ford about it's specs. Maybe it will be officially unveiled at the Barret Jackson auction. Who knows !!!!!
Old 12/5/09, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by karrnutt
Read in this morning's Windsor Star newspaper that February 1st is the day for the start of production for the new 5.0 L. engine at Ford"s Essex engine plant in Windsor,Ontario.
Here's the link

http://www.windsorstar.com/business/...936/story.html

LOL, funny no one will confirm what engine or even which vehicles will receive whatever engine their going to make there just the "mysterious" source who says it's Mustang & F150

hush, hush

I'm surprised they revealed the 2/1/10 start date

Last edited by TopCat501; 12/5/09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12/5/09, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am hoping for 430hp / 400 ft lbs with a 7k red line.
Old 12/5/09, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Anybody read the comments below.I sure hope it is not true and part of the reason why Ford didn't unveil their GT's powerplant.

Quote:
I work at Essex Engine and this motor is nothing by one problem after another, they can't even keep us there for a full days work because of the problems. I and many others there think Ford wants it to fail. For our sake I hope it does not as you might as well say good by to Ford Windsor if it does
Old 12/5/09, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Anybody read the comments below.I sure hope it is not true and part of the reason why Ford didn't unveil their GT's powerplant.

Quote:
I work at Essex Engine and this motor is nothing by one problem after another, they can't even keep us there for a full days work because of the problems. I and many others there think Ford wants it to fail. For our sake I hope it does not as you might as well say good by to Ford Windsor if it does
Just my two cents, and it isn't my intention to offend anybody by saying this, but I wouldn't put much faith in what most folks from the line have to say about issues like these. My last job in the auto industry involved helping to smooth the transtion of prototypes into actual production pieces. More often than not the guys on the line we had there 'helping' us sort through issues had no idea what was actually going on or why it was happening, they just did what we asked when we asked and sledom knew anything more than what we told them, and we typically didn't tell them much. The fact that this chump thinks Ford would somehow sabotage their own multi billion dollar project just so they could shelve a production facility tells me he is completely off of his nut.......just being honest.

Last edited by jsaylor; 12/5/09 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12/5/09, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

First, I can't even see the comments. I click on the comments link but nothing ever happens. Second, I agree with the previous poster that the guys on the line don't have the whole picture. They are always kept in the dark until the very last moment.

Is the guy paranoid? Probably.
Is he a chump? Probably not. I don't think name calling adds any value.
Old 12/5/09, 09:11 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He lost the very little credibility he had when he said he thinks Ford is trying to sabotage it.

It makes perfect sense that Ford would not only sabotage their new enginer and in the process sabotage the F150 and Mustang for and excuse to close a plant [/sarcasm]
Old 12/5/09, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Completely goofy and he sounds like someone whos got an axe to grind. He may not even be a Ford employee. It could be a Ford hating troll for all we know. Absolutely holds no water IMO.
Old 12/6/09, 03:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

First, I can't even see the comments. I click on the comments link but nothing ever happens. Second, I agree with the previous poster that the guys on the line don't have the whole picture. They are always kept in the dark until the very last moment.

Is the guy paranoid? Probably.
Is he a chump? Probably not. I don't think name calling adds any value.
Just my take, but if you're on the net disparaging the company which employees you (and which likely pays you far too much for that employment) and doing so in a manner that can honestly only serve to diminish the reputation of the same and, for added value, are doing all of this immediately after said company narrowly avoided bankruptcy......yeah, that would make somebody a chump.

I typically believe in defaulting to the polite side of the equation, but I also think that much of what is wrong with the world today is that we have become p.c. to the point of no longer being able to simply say it like it is no matter how absurd the situation. This guy should be doing everything he can to help FoMoCo, a move which would ultimately only serve to help further his career. Instead, he's on here spouting the Canadian Union Kool Aid about how Ford hates Canada despite the fact that Ford has recently invested a huge amount of money in Windsor.
Old 12/6/09, 03:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it

Sidenote: remember when Essex got up to speed with the 4.6 3v for the 05 Mustang until Romeo could?
Old 12/7/09, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am hoping for 430hp / 400 ft lbs with a 7k red line.
Amen on that redline! As long as it's got 380+ horsepower I'll be satisfied.

Of all the cars I've owned, the one whose engine I loved the best was in my SHO Taurus. I know, 220 hp from a 3.0 doesn't sound miraculous these days but the character of the engine was what I loved. That engine sounded so sweet when it was in full shriek. I think a DOHC V8 that loved being wound out to 7000 (or more) rpm would be delicious.
Old 12/7/09, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

IMO ... 5.0 still is not enough. I've heard rumors of the 6.2 enigne. I hope it finds it's way in to the Mustang real quick.
Old 12/7/09, 06:56 PM

he's probably the same guy that they are looking for in the plant... can you believe there is somebody in the Rod departmnent tampering with the machining equipment!!!! Can't believe there are people out there that would do this and put there fellow workers at serious risk.

On the issues, there have been issues, but it's not uncommon, that's what the early prototype build are for, to identify any issues in production capability, staff training requirements etc.

Some of the issues i know of have related to the cam phasers, incorrect cam cap installation (training), fuel rail issue (component supplier issue), rod bolts (rectified).

These are normal and expected situations when launching and ramping up, and ones that certainly won't bring the company down.
Old 12/7/09, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by c_in_oz
These are normal and expected situations when launching and ramping up, and ones that certainly won't bring the company down.
Hey thanks for that update from the front lines.

Man, if someone is screwing around with machinery that is crazy. Either a psyco or has a vendetta with co-workers. Not good.

You'll have to let everyone there know how excited we are about the engines and how sales should shoot up due to these engines as alot of guys have been holding off until they hit the dealers lots.

It would be great if you could give us some updates every now & then as things move forward
Old 12/7/09, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL
IMO ... 5.0 still is not enough. I've heard rumors of the 6.2 enigne. I hope it finds it's way in to the Mustang real quick.
The 6.2 is no rumor; its soon to be available in the Raptor but won't likely go into the Mustang.
Ford has stated weight reduction is an important goal in every car they design moving forward.
I mean you don't want the Mustang creeping closer to the weight of the Camaro do you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.0 Litre engine production to start