2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

5.0 or Ecoboost, which is better for Highway MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/15, 07:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Just for the record ! The numbers posted were by the OP, and not from me.. According to his data, his MPG didn't even come close to 35-38 as yourself and others have posted, but rather his best MPG was around 27-28 MPG highway which is approx 3-4 MPG increase over the 2015 GT at 25 MPG highway as I previously stated..
The OP doesn't have a 2015 mustang yet, so he has no comparison numbers.
Old 6/16/15, 09:10 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected, as I should had stated RECOMMENDED not REQUIRED

So according to your own data ! Your Eco-boost 4 gets approx up to 3-4 MPG better over the GT right ? So if your data is accurate, that in itself confirms what I suspected all along.. Therefore I'd much rather have the performance and growl of the V8 as 3-4 MPG is hardly a deal breaker to switch over from the GT to the Eco-Boost 4..

That's exactly why Ford recommends 93 octane

Rocky,
I am not sure why you are trying so hard to justify the GT. If you want one you do not need to justify it or get the crowd's approval.

As for your 'points' you are using faulty logic.

1) You are comparing the combined city/ highway average fuel economy of the EB to the highway estimate of the GT. The GT is 'rated' at 25 and the EB is 'rated' at 32 for highway mileage and 16 and 23 respectively for city. So the GT is not 'only 2 MPG' less. One could just as easily compare the 25 Hwy and 23 city and say the GT gets 2 better; also invalid.
2) You state the EB is 'recommended' to use 93 octane fuel. Nowhere is that recommendation made by Ford. Your assumption that it needs 93 octane is incorrect.
3) You believe that you 'need' 93 octane in the EB to achieve the 320 HP because the 290 is lame and somehow slow. This implies your driving style would require all 320 HP yet you believe that driving a GT in the same manner would yield similar fuel economy between the two. You are making a lot of assumptions. The GT can deliver very good FE but you need to drive it like the accelerator pedal is made of egg shells.

To those of us who know how both of these cars perform and respond we know your assumptions are rather incorrect. As I stated; you like the GT and that is absolutely fine and no justification or rearrangement of the numbers are needed. The GT is a fabulous car but in daily use in stop and go traffic it would just be another 135 unused HP on top of what isn't getting used with the EB. Some of us do not need a GT and that is why Ford made both. The GT for you and the EB for me and that is perfectly fine.
Old 6/16/15, 09:51 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by wildsailor
Rocky,
I am not sure why you are trying so hard to justify the GT. If you want one you do not need to justify it or get the crowd's approval.

As for your 'points' you are using faulty logic.

1) You are comparing the combined city/ highway average fuel economy of the EB to the highway estimate of the GT. The GT is 'rated' at 25 and the EB is 'rated' at 32 for highway mileage and 16 and 23 respectively for city. So the GT is not 'only 2 MPG' less. One could just as easily compare the 25 Hwy and 23 city and say the GT gets 2 better; also invalid.
2) You state the EB is 'recommended' to use 93 octane fuel. Nowhere is that recommendation made by Ford. Your assumption that it needs 93 octane is incorrect.
3) You believe that you 'need' 93 octane in the EB to achieve the 320 HP because the 290 is lame and somehow slow. This implies your driving style would require all 320 HP yet you believe that driving a GT in the same manner would yield similar fuel economy between the two. You are making a lot of assumptions. The GT can deliver very good FE but you need to drive it like the accelerator pedal is made of egg shells.

To those of us who know how both of these cars perform and respond we know your assumptions are rather incorrect. As I stated; you like the GT and that is absolutely fine and no justification or rearrangement of the numbers are needed. The GT is a fabulous car but in daily use in stop and go traffic it would just be another 135 unused HP on top of what isn't getting used with the EB. Some of us do not need a GT and that is why Ford made both. The GT for you and the EB for me and that is perfectly fine.
Dan ! Perhaps I misinterpreted your post ? But I went by the MPG numbers you posted comparing the Eco-Boost 4 and the 2015 GT and that was the assumption I came to..

Therefore if my logic is incorrect ? Then once again I misinterpreted the data you provided.. At any rate, I'm not attempting to bash your Eco-Boost 4 in favor of the GT in anyway, but rather stating a personal preference and nothing more..

The bottom line is this.. As long as your satisfied with your car, that's all that really matters.. As for myself, I don't need anybody else's approval to justify anything and perhaps down the road I may look into adding a S550 Mustang but for now I'm quite satisfied with my current Mustang and have no plans of upgrading at this time..

So once again, my apology for any misinterpretations on my part
Old 6/16/15, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2015turbostang
The OP doesn't have a 2015 mustang yet, so he has no comparison numbers.
I was referring to wildsailor (Dan's) 2015 Eco-Boost as the OP..
Old 6/16/15, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
It's a shame Ford doesn't offer the V6 w/ leather. Consider buying a V6 and getting after market leather seat covers. The difference in price between the grades of fuel should easily push you in that direction. I love my V6 and have no regrets about not buying a GT. It has plenty of power and gets great mileage.
Old 6/16/15, 10:17 PM

I totally agree Tom.. As your 2014 V6 has plenty of HP at 305 for daily driving and great MPG to go along with it as well
Old 6/17/15, 12:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
It's a shame Ford doesn't offer the V6 w/ leather. Consider buying a V6 and getting after market leather seat covers. The difference in price between the grades of fuel should easily push you in that direction. I love my V6 and have no regrets about not buying a GT. It has plenty of power and gets great mileage.
I considered the V6 as well but it seem like Ford reserved it for the rental car fleets. I had to have the premium package which only comes with the Ecoboost and GT.
Old 6/17/15, 11:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
DI is a problem in the most mid to high mileage cars. Check out You Tube and Google for more proof. In one video,the Ford engineers told one SAE mechanic at a Ford dealer to just change the heads since they had no solution to cleaning the intake valves in place without destroying the turbos down stream. Knock the carbon off the valves, into the turbo, and BANG! VW/Audi, Toyota/Scion and several others are slowly adding back port injection along with DI to solve the oily PVC / ERG gas issue that has developed the carbon build up with this new technology. No Ecoboost engines have this dual set up except for the new Ford GT. Ford knows the solution but has not put it in any of the current cars so good luck after the 3/36000 test drive.
Old 6/18/15, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roger blose
DI is a problem in the most mid to high mileage cars. Check out You Tube and Google for more proof. In one video,the Ford engineers told one SAE mechanic at a Ford dealer to just change the heads since they had no solution to cleaning the intake valves in place without destroying the turbos down stream. Knock the carbon off the valves, into the turbo, and BANG! VW/Audi, Toyota/Scion and several others are slowly adding back port injection along with DI to solve the oily PVC / ERG gas issue that has developed the carbon build up with this new technology. No Ecoboost engines have this dual set up except for the new Ford GT. Ford knows the solution but has not put it in any of the current cars so good luck after the 3/36000 test drive.
Yes, go check and you will find that the techniques Ford has implemented (spraying fuel on the back of the valve when it is open) on the Ecoboost engines makes them no more prone to deposit build up than non DI engines.

As I stated before the early adopters (DI goes back to the 90's) had issues but they are mostly solved on new DI engines these days.
Old 6/19/15, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

The Fiancee drives ALOT.. she had 134k on her 2012 6'er when we traded it in.

The 15 Eco 6M is getting between 33-35 mpg and I believe she's around 4,500 miles on the clock already.
Old 6/21/15, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just took a long drive that was primarily highway, but there was some stop and go and construction slow downs. I averaged 34 MPG with my Ecoboost. I noticed that while cruising just above 70 mph, the engine was only at about 2000 RPM.
Old 6/21/15, 03:16 PM

Just curious, is your 15 Eco-Boost manual or auto ?
Old 6/21/15, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Auto without the Performance Package.
Old 6/21/15, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 15BluStang
Mine is manual with the PP and my MPG on average is slightly better
Old 6/22/15, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tukatz
I agree with you, I believe Ford would rather have people buy the eco-4.
Old 6/23/15, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 15BluStang
34MPG is definitely very impressive, no question about that
Old 6/23/15, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rodsmustang
I agree with you, I believe Ford would rather have people buy the eco-4.
With 34MPG and above ! I can certainly understand why Ford is pushing it's customers towards the Eco-4..
Old 6/23/15, 02:42 PM
GT Member

With my 2012 Focus, when I drove from Atlanta to Orlando, I always had to fill up just before I got to the Florida Turnpike which was right about 400 miles. With my 2007 and 2010 Mustangs, I had to fill up between Gainesville and Ocala. This fall when I do that drive, I have no doubt I will get to Orlando without stopping for gas.
Old 6/23/15, 02:48 PM
GT Member

With 34MPG and above ! I can certainly understand why Ford is pushing it's customers towards the Eco-4..
The Eco-4 is for the Euro market as it is for the US market. In a lot of European countries, you pay a lot more for more cylinders in both taxes and insurance. I like my Ecoboost 4 a lot better than the 6 in my previous Mustangs.
Old 6/23/15, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's nothing wrong with the v6 or eco-4. Although, it would be interesting see see which one last longer.

Quick Reply: 5.0 or Ecoboost, which is better for Highway MPG?