2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Will Not Have a CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/11, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
I agree also. I don't care for the "compressed" sound of MP3s, and I don't consider myself an audiophile at all. I use my factory 6-CD changer every day and wish it could hold more. I read somewhere that there are lots of warranty claims for CD players/changers, so perhaps that is one of the main reasons for the move away from them .
In my 05 I had to have my CD changer replaced 4 times - glad to be rid of that POS shaker system.
Old 7/31/11, 11:55 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I bet you guys are right- phasing out due to shaker warrnty issues...too bad they didnt have Sony or some Japanese manufacturer for the shaker- bet they were cranked out of china.
eventually (soon) id expect digital downloads to be verbatim same as masters- with speeds/memory, who really 'needs' compression.

8 tracks HAD to go, they were a 'novelty' design that caught on for no good reason...cassettes were before 8 track, but didnt boom till a decade later(after everyone thoroughly hated their big, graphite dust leaking, tape squealling, bubbled up label 8 tracks...)

cassette was a excellent thing for its time, so was cd- but time marches on.

Last edited by ford4v429; 7/31/11 at 11:57 AM.
Old 8/1/11, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to still offer a CD player as an option. There are still people who want to go to a record store (or at least Walmart or Target), buy a CD, and listen to it on the way home.
Old 8/1/11, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
It would probably be a good idea to still offer a CD player as an option. There are still people who want to go to a record store (or at least Walmart or Target), buy a CD, and listen to it on the way home.
Once clouds start becoming more popular the days of buying physical CDs are going to be gone. You wont even need an iPod or any mp3 player to have all your music.
Old 8/1/11, 04:08 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by RandyW

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Once clouds start becoming more popular the days of buying physical CDs are going to be gone. You wont even need an iPod or any mp3 player to have all your music.
Well that's gonna suck!
Old 8/2/11, 05:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No CD player or #8 Piston.
Old 8/2/11, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Computers are being shipped without CD ROMs? I know you can download a lot of programs, hell, my Steam account is pretty fat, but I still like having harcopy for some things. Lets say catastrophy strikes and Valve goes out of buisness. Steam users are screwed.
Old 8/2/11, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
Computers are being shipped without CD ROMs? I know you can download a lot of programs, hell, my Steam account is pretty fat, but I still like having harcopy for some things. Lets say catastrophy strikes and Valve goes out of buisness. Steam users are screwed.
Yeah some do come without them now. They make more money this way because they can sell the drives separately and have them plug into your USB port when needed. But they'll charge more for it
Old 8/2/11, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

What is this "CD" device?
Old 8/2/11, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Its a device that is made for V6 Mustangs.

Usually holds V8 rev and take-off sounds the owner can play thru his speakers so he can think 'i has racecars' and not feel bad about his engine.
Old 8/4/11, 03:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I can also see Sirius or the like offering audio "on demand", for a fee of course...
Old 1/26/12, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was actually hoping the 13s would already be sans CD b/c it'll be the equivalent of an 8 track in less than 10 years. In fact, even though the non-electronics package looks cheap IMHO, I'm going to save the $ on the EP because I don't want it integrated with the rest of the car, so that I can switch it out later. I could put a sweet system in there for the $2300 they're charging, I have a GPS and I'll get all of the car info I need out of the TrackApps.

For those lamenting the loss of CDs, wouldn't you rather have your music on a non-scratchable, super-slim flash drive? I'm not talking about a compressed collection. I'm talking flash drive "albums".
Old 1/26/12, 07:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
For those lamenting the loss of CDs, wouldn't you rather have your music on a non-scratchable, super-slim flash drive? I'm not talking about a compressed collection. I'm talking flash drive "albums".
I'd rather have the original CD. That way I still have the option to put the album on a flash drive (or put multiple albums onto a burned CDR-MP3 disc). If all of my music would be on a hard drive somewhere, it could be lost when the hard drive crashes. I know, I know, I'm supposed to have multiple backups, and I do for my music and photos, some on CDR or DVDR, which kinda defeats the purpose of not having it on physical media in the first palce. Still not sold on the cloud, having to pay an annual fee for offsite storage which can't be accessed anytime, anywhere I want doesn't appeal to me at all.
Old 1/26/12, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
I'd rather have the original CD. That way I still have the option to put the album on a flash drive (or put multiple albums onto a burned CDR-MP3 disc). If all of my music would be on a hard drive somewhere, it could be lost when the hard drive crashes. I know, I know, I'm supposed to have multiple backups, and I do for my music and photos, some on CDR or DVDR, which kinda defeats the purpose of not having it on physical media in the first palce. Still not sold on the cloud, having to pay an annual fee for offsite storage which can't be accessed anytime, anywhere I want doesn't appeal to me at all.
I hear you. I'm saying instead of buying a CD, you buy a (slim) flash drive. 1 flash drive=1 CD/"album". Scratch-proof and uses a common (USB) port. You could then copy the music to a hard drive, but the original is a flash drive. Just have to make sure that the data degradation is long/longer than a CD. And by slim, I mean super slim, so that you could store hundreds in a portable case or thousands in a standing case.
Old 1/26/12, 08:21 PM
V6 Member

I think they should still offer a CD player as an option, or at least make it simple to put an aftermarket player in it.
Old 1/26/12, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

I don't know that a cd is relevant anymore. 2015 may be a little premature but that car will be on the road til like 2022. And by that time cd's will absolutely be obsolete.
Old 1/26/12, 09:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by MosesTheMustang
I think they should still offer a CD player as an option, or at least make it simple to put an aftermarket player in it.
Yeah, +1 on that. Trying to figure out what kinda panel Ill need to replace the head unit at some point.
Old 1/26/12, 10:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't care if I see another CD ever again...
Old 1/27/12, 02:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
I hear you. I'm saying instead of buying a CD, you buy a (slim) flash drive. 1 flash drive=1 CD/"album". Scratch-proof and uses a common (USB) port. You could then copy the music to a hard drive, but the original is a flash drive. Just have to make sure that the data degradation is long/longer than a CD. And by slim, I mean super slim, so that you could store hundreds in a portable case or thousands in a standing case.
Frankly I've had better success with optical media (new, store-bought music CD's) than I have with flash based media (thumb drives). I've bought 1000+ music CD's in the last 25 years, and 10-12 flash memory thumb drives in the last 10 years or so. I've had more flash drives fail than I have music CD's. Maybe I'm just really careful with my CD's.

I guess I'm getting to be an old geezer that is set in my ways I still have and listen to LP's and cassettes on occasion. I didn't lament the passing of either of those media, as they were replaced by the CD, which was superior in nearly every way, especially once CDR's became commonplace. I like the availability of USB jacks in cars to use thumb drives or mp3 players, I have them in our Miata and Fusion, I just don't want to lose at least the option of having a CD player in the new cars I buy, but I'm sure it will happen over the next decade or so.
Old 1/27/12, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Just think of the Gauge Pod that could/SHOULD be in that location. Besides, the best tunes in a Mustang come from under the hood. :-)

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang Will Not Have a CD Player