2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang Fuel Economy Leaks - Should the V6 Just Die?

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/14, 05:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by newpony
^^^^ Thought I do like the low end torque of the EcoBoost I can not argue with anything you just said. I expected more too. The 3.7 is a very good engine. Perhaps the MPG went down because of the weight gain and Ford more realistic testing.
I thought they also changed the rear gear for the V6. Don't have time to look it up right now.
Old 9/18/14, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CurtisH
I thought they also changed the rear gear for the V6. Don't have time to look it up right now.
I think that's right. I would like to see the performance specs for the 2015 V6.
Old 9/18/14, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by White2010
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth and I'm not looking to get some sort of stupid internet argument started with you. I'm just disappointed in Ford and I could see this coming months ago. The good thing about getting older is that your BS meter gets a lot more fine tuned and my BS meter with this car was starting to ping quite awhile ago. The bad thing about getting older is that you realize there is a lot more BS out there then there is genuine articles.

So for me the red flags went up when Ford started touting the ecoboost horsepower numbers and yet there was no mention of the average mpg despite the fact that they touted the ecoboost as both fuel efficient and a great performer. Low and behold when the mpg numbers did come out the ecoboost wasn't any better than the V6 car by and large. What a couple mpg here and there? Big freakin whoop. And I guess it's just a coincidence that the mpg for the V6 went down along with the hp ratings? Couldn't have anything to do with Ford wanting to push the ecoboost could it? Naaaaa couldn't be. Then Ford decided they wouldn't offer the better options in the V6, just the ecoboost. Couldn't be because Ford is pushing the ecoboost could it? Naaaa couldn't be.

So now the performance numbers have come out and sure enough my BS meter was right again. What we have is an ecoboost car that offers V6 levels of performance and V6 mpg, but it costs more to buy. I fully understand that you can run 87 or 93 in the ecoboost just like the GT but lets face reality here. This is the entry level Mustang, not the GT. The GT has become so expensive and uses so much gas that most GT owners just have them as weekend cars. The entry level car is the Mustang that gets driven day to day. It's the car that customers are far more likely to put 87 octane in to save a little money. But now we have entry level car that requires 93 if you want to get the "as advertised" performance level. I'd be interested to see what the performance numbers are using 87 because we all know that is what the majority of customers will use. I'm betting the performance numbers on 87 aren't even as good as the V6.

So no, this isn't about you AWmustang. This is about my absolute disappointment in Ford and what they have done. What I see with this car is corporate greed. The entry level Mustang outsells the GT by something like 3 to 1. Now Ford has come up with an excuse to jack up the price of the entry level car under the guise of "but it's an ecoboost." Does anyone really believe that Ford could not sell the ecoboost and the V6 for the same price tags and still make money on both? Hell yes they could. This notion that the ecoboost needs to have a starting price of $1500 more just because its an ecoboost is nonsense. Factor in the fact that it doesn't really deliver any better performance than the V6 and in my book its just a ripoff. I wouldn't buy that thing and if Ford drops the V6 from the lineup I just won't be a Mustang customer ever again. I guess I'll just buy used Mustangs and restore them as opposed to giving Ford the money.

Well Said, I agree 100%
Old 9/19/14, 12:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth and I'm not looking to get some sort of stupid internet argument started with you. I'm just disappointed in Ford and I could see this coming months ago. The good thing about getting older is that your BS meter gets a lot more fine tuned and my BS meter with this car was starting to ping quite awhile ago. The bad thing about getting older is that you realize there is a lot more BS out there then there is genuine articles.

So for me the red flags went up when Ford started touting the ecoboost horsepower numbers and yet there was no mention of the average mpg despite the fact that they touted the ecoboost as both fuel efficient and a great performer. Low and behold when the mpg numbers did come out the ecoboost wasn't any better than the V6 car by and large. What a couple mpg here and there? Big freakin whoop. And I guess it's just a coincidence that the mpg for the V6 went down along with the hp ratings? Couldn't have anything to do with Ford wanting to push the ecoboost could it? Naaaaa couldn't be. Then Ford decided they wouldn't offer the better options in the V6, just the ecoboost. Couldn't be because Ford is pushing the ecoboost could it? Naaaa couldn't be.

So now the performance numbers have come out and sure enough my BS meter was right again. What we have is an ecoboost car that offers V6 levels of performance and V6 mpg, but it costs more to buy. I fully understand that you can run 87 or 93 in the ecoboost just like the GT but lets face reality here. This is the entry level Mustang, not the GT. The GT has become so expensive and uses so much gas that most GT owners just have them as weekend cars. The entry level car is the Mustang that gets driven day to day. It's the car that customers are far more likely to put 87 octane in to save a little money. But now we have entry level car that requires 93 if you want to get the "as advertised" performance level. I'd be interested to see what the performance numbers are using 87 because we all know that is what the majority of customers will use. I'm betting the performance numbers on 87 aren't even as good as the V6.

So no, this isn't about you AWmustang. This is about my absolute disappointment in Ford and what they have done. What I see with this car is corporate greed. The entry level Mustang outsells the GT by something like 3 to 1. Now Ford has come up with an excuse to jack up the price of the entry level car under the guise of "but it's an ecoboost." Does anyone really believe that Ford could not sell the ecoboost and the V6 for the same price tags and still make money on both? Hell yes they could. This notion that the ecoboost needs to have a starting price of $1500 more just because its an ecoboost is nonsense. Factor in the fact that it doesn't really deliver any better performance than the V6 and in my book its just a ripoff. I wouldn't buy that thing and if Ford drops the V6 from the lineup I just won't be a Mustang customer ever again. I guess I'll just buy used Mustangs and restore them as opposed to giving Ford the money.
Fair point. And as an Ecoboost driver I can tell you it is very heavy on the boost and very light on the Eco. Also, I lease and am glad I do with all of the concern with the carbon build up. The engine is a hoot to drive and even if the V6 came with a premium trim level I'd still plan to get the Ecoboost. I can understand those that would prefer the V6 though.

My BS meter went off with the hp dropping in the V6. I have no doubt that the MPG drop has more to do with the feds clamping down on Ford, the increase in weight and the rear end being a higher gear, than a marketing thing. I'm not saying the marketing department wasn't thrilled but I don't think they were the driving force behind the reduction. That being said I fully expect real world MPGs in the 2015 V6 will be lower than the 2014 V6 for the above reasons. Further, I expect the real world MPGs of the 2015 Ecoboost to be even lower than the 2015 V6.

I think someday in the not too distant future the Ecoboost or its successor will provide V6 performance for I4 fuel economy and V8 performance for V6 economy, we just aren't there yet.
Old 9/20/14, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I drive an Ecoboost Fusion and as I have stated repeatedly when asked the fuel economy has definitely increased as we've put miles on the car. Yes, out of the gate I was disappointed but now I am seeing numbers much better than even the EPA rating at times and much better than any V6 I've ever owned. This is a fact no speculation as I have over 20k on our 13 Fusion SE. When I had my last Mustang back in 90, the only choice was the V8 which I had and the four cylinder. People bought them back then and they will definitely buy them today- especially since this motor produces such incredible horsepower and torque while being lighter in the nose than the V8. I myself will be getting a Ecoboost Premium. I'm not shilling for Ford but I think if you give this engine a chance you will see that this car will be the better for it and who knows.. If they do drop the V6 perhaps they will lower the entry price on the 4 cylinder.. It's happened with other brands cars on occasion..
Old 9/20/14, 08:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Allot of people here and on the other forums and car sites are comparing Fords and other cars that have the same engine to the Mustang. Well you cannot do that. In the manufacturing world there are 2 groups that control the numbers. There is the engineers and the Marketing people. Marketing put the spin on to sell there products in this case a car. Other cars and trucks with the same engine or specs ( ecoboast ) are tuned and designed for the car or truck. Fords trucks use the Mustang engine but are tuned for more torque less HP. My point is here that Ford is a marketing car manufacturer just like the rest. Also the new Mustang has IRS and that has more Drive line lose than LA. So things like MPG and performance will suffer with the same engine.

Ford designed this car for the European market in hopes that the Mustang faithfuls will like it too. In other places in the world fuel and cylinders are taxed highly. They need a 4 cylinder and a V6. So Ford has to cover everything with this car in terms of engines.

Last edited by Jazzman442; 9/20/14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 4/25/15, 07:14 AM
GT Member

MY wife's 2012 V6 Pont Package (GT suspension) was a superb car. 20+ mpg in the city and, driven conservatively, over 28 mpg on the highway at 70mph, A/C on. Unless the buyer wants to "upgrade" to an EcoBoost that WILL NOT even come close to the estimated mpg for city and highway...then the V6 is perfect. Relatively quick, looks the same, and is 100% reliable. I will, however, stick to my 2015 GT Premium; a great vehicle.
Old 4/27/15, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AWmustang
What is the obsession with people saying the V6 is needed for the Rental fleets. I see no reason why the Ecoboost wouldn't work for the rental fleets. They already have tons of ecoboost Fusions and Escapes in the rental fleets.

These ecoboost engines are the fragile turbos of yesterday. They don't need any special cool down prior to shutting the engine down. They are engineered so that the coolant continues to flowing using a natural siphoning action.
All I can say is "Twin Turbo V6 - Ford GT"

If you think it's not going to rock, it will. The V6 is not dead. It just needs some FI.

Ford is just pushing the Eco-boost for the overseas market. I think it's a mistake to try and get rid of it when there is so much potential for that power-plant. I'm not sure what they are thinking.

The 2.3 is way under-powered for the 2015 Mustang. Especially with the Focus RS AWD on the way. It's going to put the 2015 Ecoboost mustang to shame. Ford is going to look back in a few years and admit they made a mistake.

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/27/15 at 02:28 PM.