The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Past Rumor Archive (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f805/)
-   -   What's the 2014 special edition going to be? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f805/whats-2014-special-edition-going-504239/)

Tony Alonso 9/21/12 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446050)
I'm surprised that they didn't decide to do a slightly upgraded boss302 put a 71 boss inspired graphics package and its good to go

I'm not. The message has generally been that this car was to be a 2-year run.

Resolution78 9/22/12 03:41 PM

I'm glad they didn't .....

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

I'm not. The message has generally been that this car was to be a 2-year run.

Yeah but Ford doesn't always stick to original intentions. The 2003-04 mach1, 2009-09 bullitt were both supposed to be one year runs. The 2007-09 Gt500 was supposed to be a two year run

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Resolution78
I'm glad they didn't .....

Not me, I don't understand why Ford doesn't just meet the demand of these special editions. If not for the insane ADMs on these cars Ford would sell more and have more happy customers. My local dealer still expects adms on 2012 GT500s and bosses. It's the key reason I didn't buy a gt500 a couple years ago. OK I'll get off my soapbox now LOL.

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446699)
Yeah but Ford doesn't always stick to original intentions. The 2003-04 mach1, 2009-09 bullitt were both supposed to be one year runs. The 2007-09 Gt500 was supposed to be a two year run

The '03 Mach 1 was supposed to be a 2-year run but the early messages were incorrect. That information comes from people who worked on it. Of course, it would have been nice to know that early before I bought one of those "6500 only" cars :-)

And since the Boss 302 had an original incarnation of only 2 years and it looked the intent was to mirror that, I had always thought it would be more likely it would be only two.

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446704)
Not me, I don't understand why Ford doesn't just meet the demand of these special editions. If not for the insane ADMs on these cars Ford would sell more and have more happy customers. My local dealer still expects adms on 2012 GT500s and bosses. It's the key reason I didn't buy a gt500 a couple years ago. OK I'll get off my soapbox now LOL.

I think they met the demand on the Boss 302. I cannot imagine, given the current sales numbers of the Mustang, that there would be many thousands more units. I suspect that while production was limited by many factors, including creating a sense of "rarity", people were buying under MSRP priced 2012s near the end of the model year.

Besides, forecasting demand has got to be tricky business in the car world, since it's not a "we'll make as many as we get orders for that are promised to a consumer who put down money" proposition.

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 05:23 PM

I think they met the demand on the Boss 302. I cannot imagine, given the current sales numbers of the Mustang, that there would be many thousands more units. I suspect that while production was limited by many factors, including creating a sense of "rarity", people were buying under MSRP priced 2012s near the end of the model year.

Besides, forecasting demand has got to be tricky business in the car world, since it's not a "we'll make as many as we get orders for that are promised to a consumer who put down money" proposition.

I guess I got a little off topic there, but I feel set pricing would sell more bosses and Shelbys. The individual dealers that choose to put adms on these cars are making all the profits and Ford is ultimately losing sales. They lost my business a few years back on a gt500 that way. In my neighborhood bosses are still selling above sticker price

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 05:31 PM

The '03 Mach 1 was supposed to be a 2-year run but the early messages were incorrect. That information comes from people who worked on it. Of course, it would have been nice to know that early before I bought one of those "6500 only" cars :-)

And since the Boss 302 had an original incarnation of only 2 years and it looked the intent was to mirror that, I had always thought it would be more likely it would be only two.

The boss was originally supposed to be made in 1971. Someone actually owns the only 71 boss 302 in the world. It is even featured in the 71 mustang sales brochure. I would personally like to see perhaps a very limited number of 2014 bossed so 40 years from now people can talk about them

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446727)
I guess I got a little off topic there, but I feel set pricing would sell more bosses and Shelbys. The individual dealers that choose to put adms on these cars are making all the profits and Ford is ultimately losing sales. They lost my business a few years back on a gt500 that way. In my neighborhood bosses are still selling above sticker price

As I am sure you are well aware, since dealer franchise laws have been discussed on the forums many times, there is a "set" price recommended by Ford (the MSRP). Once that car is released to the dealer, Ford has "made money" and now the dealer gets to make some too. And as I am sure you've also seen discussed many times here, what dealers do to make money is based on many factors, including demand, what Ford puts as incentives, location of the country, etc.

I personally would not purchase a car with a dealer mark-up, and yes, it can be frustrating to see it happen, but as has been discussed many times, the longer it stays on a lot, the more the price comes down.

I've oversimplified here, but Five Oh Brian, 05fordgt, and other dealer friends here could speak more eloquently to this situation.

cdynaco 9/22/12 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso (Post 6446740)
As I am sure you are well aware, since dealer franchise laws have been discussed on the forums many times, there is a "set" price recommended by Ford (the MSRP). Once that car is released to the dealer, Ford has "made money" and now the dealer gets to make some too. And as I am sure you've also seen discussed many times here, what dealers do to make money is based on many factors, including demand, what Ford puts as incentives, location of the country, etc.

Yes it is out of Ford's hands at that point. But I agree with Phil - ADM's do slow sales so in that context it does affect Ford and subsequent production.

Virtually all other retailers outside the auto biz post msrp (often on packaging) but then frequently offer a sale off of msrp to bring in more customers vs their competition.

Pretty much only the auto business jacks up price over msrp - to the anger of customers. Horrible business plan, horrible customer relations long term. And yes - it does reflect badly on Ford in the eyes of most customers (except for us forum junkies that come to realize its the Stealership's policy).

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446737)
The boss was originally supposed to be made in 1971. Someone actually owns the only 71 boss 302 in the world. It is even featured in the 71 mustang sales brochure. I would personally like to see perhaps a very limited number of 2014 bossed so 40 years from now people can talk about them

Interesting factoid - thanks for pointing that out. I reviewed this thread.

Might be time to get that 2014 Mustang and put in that Ford Racing crate engine... :)

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 6446747)
Yes it is out of Ford's hands at that point. But I agree with Phil - ADM's do slow sales so in that context it does affect Ford and subsequent production.

Conceivably it could, however, I would assume that the marketing and sales people surely must be aware of this data. At least one would think they should!

Virtually all other retailers outside the auto biz post msrp (often on packaging) but then frequently offer a sale off of msrp to bring in more customers vs their competition.

Got to love incentives :)

Pretty much only the auto business jacks up price over msrp - to the anger of customers. Horrible business plan, horrible customer relations long term. And yes - it does reflect badly on Ford in the eyes of most customers (except for us forum junkies that come to realize its the Stealership's policy).

Yep, the average consumer sees the dealership as "Ford". And I do agree it can have an impact on customer relations. Hence, it's always nice to come here and understand things that give us the insight to be smarter consumers.

That said, I am all for a 2014 special edition that has a shaker scoop on a 5.8L non-supercharged , says "Mach 1" on the side, and sells in sufficient volumes for $38000 :)

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 06:39 PM

Not trying to be rude. I was cautious enough to say certain dealers and not all dealers. I still feel Ford can do something about this problem. Auto manufacturers like Toyota, Honda and the now defunct Saturn all have had instruction to not sell vehicles above msrp. Cars like the Saturn sky, civic si and now the scion brz all came to market with high demand. Dealers were told not to place adms on these models. I love my mustangs, but Toyota has done a better job in terms of customer satisfaction

UOP Shadow 9/22/12 07:38 PM

The dealer down the street has ADM $10K on BOSS & ADM $5K on Shelby. That's why I ended up at another dealership.

cdynaco 9/22/12 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446779)
I still feel Ford can do something about this problem.
Auto manufacturers like the now defunct Saturn all have had instruction to not sell vehicles above msrp. Cars like the Saturn sky, civic si and now the scion brz all came to market with high demand. Dealers were told not to place adms on these models.

:yup: I bought two Saturns in the 90's (pre GM mgmt) and there was no hassle with my Dealers.

Tony Alonso 9/22/12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT (Post 6446779)
Auto manufacturers like Toyota, Honda and the now defunct Saturn all have had instruction to not sell vehicles above msrp. Cars like the Saturn sky, civic si and now the scion brz all came to market with high demand. Dealers were told not to place adms on these models. I love my mustangs, but Toyota has done a better job in terms of customer satisfaction

I've been to Toyota and Honda dealers who were asking over MSRP in some cases on some models (RAV4 and S2000s). Saturn is the only brand that I saw where the "no ****er" sticker was actually advertised as the way to expect pricing. I also saw Saturn dealers that were definitely asking over MSRP when the first Skys (arguably the only car that got the blood pumping the most as compared to some of the other models).

My recollection was there were some dealer memos that went to the dealers to "cool it" on the later model GT500s.

I think the bottom line is that even if this was "controlled" at some level, the business model is so engrained in some owners, it really would take a strong penalty with financial implications before any meaningful change would occur.

We can only hope, I suppose.

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 09:32 PM

I can only go on my experiences. In my area I've never seen a current model year gt500 sell for msrp. Same with the Toyota comparison. The brz is a high demand car right now and the local dealer is selling them at sticker price. I know it's up to the consumer to choose to pay adms or not but I think its bull that I can go to Ford's website price out a gt500 and then have to scour the country to find one at msrp. As a customer Ford won't get my business with these adms, and ill exercise my right to choose to by a competitive alternative if prices remain out of wack. Ford brags about the price of the gt500, yet every dealer within 100 miles of me has adms... that is fraudulent advertising.

UOP Shadow 9/22/12 11:04 PM

MSRP is NOT what dealers pay the factory for the vehicles. On average, MSRP is about 15-20% profit for the dealers. Add that in with incentives from the factory and that's how dealerships make money.

Believe it or not, dealerships make much more cheddar on used cars than new cars.

97GT03SVT 9/22/12 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
MSRP is NOT what dealers pay the factory for the vehicles. On average, MSRP is about 15-20% profit for the dealers. Add that in with incentives from the factory and that's how dealerships make money.

Believe it or not, dealerships make much more cheddar on used cars than new cars.

I agree, I have no problem with a dealer making a Buck. My problem is with greedy dealers making over msrp. I don't care what the reasons are its bogus for dealers to do that. I'm my opinion its class warfare.

JPMotorSport 9/24/12 10:02 PM

I was expecting a repeat of 2004 - a simple '50th' badge on all cars with a toned down model year.

I would expect it after undertakings like the Boss 302 2012/2013 projects and the massive GT500 evolution draining resources before the very important global car release.