Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

windshield washer and wiper timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/12, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield washer and wiper timing issue

First let me thank you all for such an informative website. This has become a daily read for me now.

My background: 2012 Kona Blue 5.0 premium. 100% stock for now. 1st time mustang owner but have driven HIPO v8 cars for years.

So my new 2012 has the push in button to clean the windshield. My issue is the blades make at least one cycle dry before any fluid comes out. The blades are dragging dry, wearing the blades and not doing the windshield any good. The wash reservoir is full and when it does engage, it is a full consistent pattern.
Every other car I have had with quick clean feature, the fluid starts before the blades move or they start at same time.

I posted this question on another site, had over 70 views and not a single response.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
Old 10/12/12, 03:56 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I woud check to see if the washer jets on the hood are block and or clogged. Some times wax or dirty can block the flow causing a delay.
Old 10/12/12, 02:32 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HDDCrasher
First let me thank you all for such an informative website. This has become a daily read for me now.
My background: 2012 Kona Blue 5.0 premium. 100% stock for now. 1st time mustang owner but have driven HIPO v8 cars for years.
So my new 2012 has the push in button to clean the windshield. My issue is the blades make at least one cycle dry before any fluid comes out. The blades are dragging dry, wearing the blades and not doing the windshield any good. The wash reservoir is full and when it does engage, it is a full consistent pattern.
Every other car I have had with quick clean feature, the fluid starts before the blades move or they start at same time.
I posted this question on another site, had over 70 views and not a single response.

Thanks for any comments you may have.
Hello HDDCrasher,

This is an alcohol based fluid, so while the fluid is in the lines, it evaporates. This said, the next time you push the button the lines have to re-fill and shoot out. Depending on how long/hot since they’ve been used, is how long it’ll take to spray onto the windshield. If you feel this is more of a concern than the normal, please bring it in to your dealer as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 10/12/12, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies! I realize I should add some more information here:
The day after I bought the car I drained what was in reservoir and refilled with distilled water and 303 tablet at the recommended mix rate. ( primary reason is water spots) So no alcohol evap here.

This is the second refill. I posted this question on another forum and the 2 suggestions there were possibly blocked nozzles/lines or maybe install one way jets so they do not drain back. I do not think the jets are blocked as I have a very full and even pattern once they engage. Does anyone have an opinion about one way valved jets? I have never heard of them myself, but I learn every day.

Deysha, do you think I would be taken seriously for this at the dealer? Rephrased: The washer fluid should start the same time as the wiper or before correct?
Old 10/15/12, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Go check out some new cars.....I think they all do it. A friend had to replace his windshield in an '05 because of the long term scratches.