Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Voiding Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/11/13, 08:30 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voiding Warranty Issues

I noticed in the 2014 Mustang Owners Manual that Ford will void the warranty if the car is used on a track.

So, this brings up three questions:

1) How do they define "track" useage ? I only plan on occassionally taking the car to a track for some performance driving (like the NJMP), nothing professional or sustained.

2) Many of these tracks require a vehicle inspection form be filled out by a professional mechanic. I assume that if I ask my local Ford dealer to do this, that I will raise all kinds of red flags about track driving?

3) Even if my track driving is keep covert, will Ford be able to "see" the type of driving that I am doing when they service the vehicle (via the diagnostic connection)?

Thanks.
Old 7/11/13, 08:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Before anything else, here's the right answer:

If you can't afford to fix it out of pocket, do you *really* want to chance the warranty by going to a track?

If the answer's yes, then get on out there. If it's not, well... that'd be your call.

How they determine it isn't really the question, as it's your word against theirs, and possibly your computer. But as someone ponted out in another thread, you could drive in 3rd all the time and blow something up, but do it in your normal driving (if you consider driving in 3rd at 65mph normal...) and would Ford void the warranty? Probably. It ain't normal, so you musta been tracking, right?

Prove they're wrong. Have them prove YOU'RE wrong.

Hence, the "if you can't pay, you probably shouldn't play."
Old 7/15/13, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

If Ford offers the "Track Package" for our cars (which I have too), why would it void the warranty, if we track it occasionally? Otherwise, the $2495 we spent is for something we can't use (without voiding the warranty) as advertised and named.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 7/15/13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 7/15/13, 01:14 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A warranty is something to cover normal daily use.. Normal wear and tear.. What's normal about track use???

the normal pay to play rule as always is in effect..
Old 7/15/13, 03:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
If Ford offers the "Track Package" for our cars (which I have too), why would it void the warranty, if we track it occasionally? Otherwise, the $2495 we spent is for something we can't use (without voiding the warranty) as advertised and named.

This is not a new issue in the annals of muscle car history. We own are 63 Polara 500 with a 426. Here is another one with a picture the factory placard indicating they were sold with no warranty. But they were street legal and sold through dealership showrooms. At the time they made both Ford and Chevy drag cars obsolete and you could drive them to the track.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_08.html
Old 7/15/13, 03:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss

Marketing term for a firmer suspension and improved braking package. Not an approval/inducement for driving a track.
Old 7/15/13, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Marketing term for a firmer suspension and improved braking package. Not an approval/inducement for driving a track.
Its quite a bit more than that ....

carbon fiber torsen diff with 3:73 gears, boss 302 diff housing with rear cooler cover, brembo brakes, perf friction pads front and rear, boss 302 oil cooler, boss 302 radiator, GT 500 trailing arms, bushings, sway bars, specifically calibrated springs, struts and shocks etc . 19"x9" wheels, 5w-50 oil, no spare, etc.
Old 7/15/13, 04:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
Its quite a bit more than that ....
I understand.
Old 7/15/13, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Look, people, if you go to a track, even if you bought the Track Pack, you are doing something that they cannot warranty. Ever. It just isn't done, and won't hold up in any court anywhere.

Not even the paint would be covered under warranty because of what can happen at a track to it. Brakes, tires, everything is put under more stress than any normal street driving.

To suggest that Ford or any manufacturer would warranty a street car for drag strip or road course or flat out oval or speed run on a salt flat is just plain silly, especially in these litiginous times.

But hey, don't let me stop you from trying to trick Ford into covering a blown up diff or burnt up brake calipers or whatever thing that breaks on the track. I hope you win that battle.
Old 7/16/13, 07:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flynford
This is not a new issue in the annals of muscle car history. We own are 63 Polara 500 with a 426. Here is another one with a picture the factory placard indicating they were sold with no warranty. But they were street legal and sold through dealership showrooms. At the time they made both Ford and Chevy drag cars obsolete and you could drive them to the track.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/f.../photo_08.html
Hmmm, the Max Wedge. Been a long long time since I've seen one of those. Thanks for the link.
Old 7/16/13, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
@houtex said everything very well. Here's a good thread from a couple weeks back on tracking your car and whether it'd be warrantied or not: https://themustangsource.com/f804/wi...rranty-522661/

In regard to #2, I've never heard of needing to have your car inspected by a professional mechanic. There's certainly tech checks at the track but I've never heard of anything like that in advance.

And as for #3, I have a hard time seeing how you'd be able to hide all the signs like worn out brakes and tires, rock chips, etc.

Bottom line: if you're going to track the car, you need to be prepared to pay for any and all expenses associated. For HPDEs, you can buy insurance policies from groups like this: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/ but that's not a warranty from Ford.
Old 7/17/13, 09:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinM
I noticed in the 2014 Mustang Owners Manual that Ford will void the warranty if the car is used on a track.

So, this brings up three questions:

1) How do they define "track" useage ? I only plan on occassionally taking the car to a track for some performance driving (like the NJMP), nothing professional or sustained.

2) Many of these tracks require a vehicle inspection form be filled out by a professional mechanic. I assume that if I ask my local Ford dealer to do this, that I will raise all kinds of red flags about track driving?

3) Even if my track driving is keep covert, will Ford be able to "see" the type of driving that I am doing when they service the vehicle (via the diagnostic connection)?

Thanks.
Hi MartinM,

As per your Shelby GT500 Suplemental Guide:

WARRANTY COVERAGE

The Shelby GT500 carries the same warranty as other Ford Mustang
models. This information is covered in its entirety in the warranty
information.
Warranty service for the Shelby GT500 or any SVT vehicle can be
obtained at any Ford dealer nationwide.
SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles, as they are
designed and built to be driven as delivered from the factory. The
warranty information discusses vehicle usage and the installation of
aftermarket parts and their effect on warranty coverage.
In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of
warranty coverage is not a concern, SVT recommends the car is
equipped with the SVT Track Pack.

Additionally, perform multi-point inspection and the maintenance
outlined in the 150000 mile (240000 kilometer) normal maintenance
schedule of the scheduled maintenance before and after track use. See
the vehicle service manual for removal and installation procedures.
Replace with Genuine Ford and Motorcraft® service parts as needed.
These modifications may not necessarily protect your engine from
damage in competition conditions. Subjecting your vehicle to competition
conditions even with these proposed modifications may render repairs
non-reimbursable under the warranty.

For us racing includes events judge by time trials, competition with another vehicle, or any similar situation in which abnormal stress is placed on the vehicle or its components.

So, if the customer is going to track days, whereby they are not competing 1:1 with another vehicle and/or in a timed event (e.g. they are enjoying the driving experience and trying to better their own course times), we would not necessarily consider this Racing. Beyond this, modifications determined to have induced a failure can prevent warranty coverage.

I hope this helps, guys.

Deysha
Old 7/17/13, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
So, if the customer is going to track days, whereby they are not competing 1:1 with another vehicle and/or in a timed event (e.g. they are enjoying the driving experience and trying to better their own course times), we would not necessarily consider this Racing.
Deysha
Can you clarify please, Deysha. Does Ford consider autocross an activity that would void the warranty? It would seem that the part of your reply that I quoted describes autocross very well.
Old 7/17/13, 05:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
if something breaks on the track how would ford know where you broke it?? Who's to say the same part wouldn't have broke at some point without tracking it??
Old 7/17/13, 09:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
Can you clarify please, Deysha. Does Ford consider autocross an activity that would void the warranty? It would seem that the part of your reply that I quoted describes autocross very well.
Time trials sure sounds like autocrossing.
Old 7/19/13, 08:57 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey tukatz,

It really comes down to evaluating each instance on a case-by-case basis. Autocross, drag racing, and some track days are timed events, so they would be racing. If in the course of competing in the event, the car is damaged/broken, etc. then we would look at what failed and try to determine if it was due to driving in the event. Keep in mind that often the customer will use aftermarket “racing” type tires, these can cause undue stress on the chassis and powertrain.

An example would be a bent axle shaft, if the customer had an “off course excursion” (went off track into the grass/dirt) then the bent axle, would not be covered.

We try to be very understanding about the usage of a high performance car. However, some of us have participated in these types of events, and are well aware of what can go wrong.

I hope this helps.

Deysha
Old 7/19/13, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hey tukatz,

It really comes down to evaluating each instance on a case-by-case basis. Autocross, drag racing, and some track days are timed events, so they would be racing. If in the course of competing in the event, the car is damaged/broken, etc. then we would look at what failed and try to determine if it was due to driving in the event. Keep in mind that often the customer will use aftermarket “racing” type tires, these can cause undue stress on the chassis and powertrain.

An example would be a bent axle shaft, if the customer had an “off course excursion” (went off track into the grass/dirt) then the bent axle, would not be covered.

We try to be very understanding about the usage of a high performance car. However, some of us have participated in these types of events, and are well aware of what can go wrong.

I hope this helps.

Deysha
Not really, Deysha.

On the one hand you said that if I am enjoying the driving experience and trying to better my own course time (which is only possible if the course is timed), that would not necessarily be racing.

On the other hand you said that autocross is considered racing, but all I would be doing would be enjoying the driving experience and trying to better my own course time.

Seems contradictory.
Old 7/19/13, 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Not really, Deysha.

On the one hand you said that if I am enjoying the driving experience and trying to better my own course time (which is only possible if the course is timed), that would not necessarily be racing.

On the other hand you said that autocross is considered racing, but all I would be doing would be enjoying the driving experience and trying to better my own course time.

Seems contradictory.
But the difference is the competition. Trying to better your own time isn't a timed competition with another individual.
Old 7/19/13, 12:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
But the difference is the competition. Trying to better your own time isn't a timed competition with another individual.
That's a matter of definition, Mikey.

When I ran autocross in my S2000 I had to register in a class. Theoretically, I was competing with other individuals to post the best time in the class.

My approach was simply to have fun and try to have each of my runs be better (faster time and fewer penalties) than the last. I didn't care where I placed in the class, so I was not racing according to my definition.

However, if I did the same thing in my Mustang and something failed, how would Ford view it?
Old 7/19/13, 01:13 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its simple... no its not covered..

ford voided warranties for people that took the NASA hpde class. All auto makers do.. its not a word game or a maybe or a " I thought" moment.. Its not built or sold for track days..

as always the pay to play rule is in full effect.

Quick Reply: Voiding Warranty Issues