Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/12, 04:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Myfins1
This is somewhat off topic, but it seems you are on the inside and thought who better to ask the question. I am sure I won't like the answer, but hey if enough people ask, maybe the answer will change.

I was pretty excited to learn that my 2013 had the Jukebox. I knew I was getting the nav system. My wife has the Jeep version My Gig. So I was thrilled I may be able to stick with my stock unit. Until I go to put some music on it. I read that the only way to download music is via a music CD. Is this the only method? I would fully expect I could use a thumb drive to download music. Or maybe burn a DVD or CD with 100 mp3s at a time. But the best I can tell, it has to come from an audio CD from the factory or burnt in itunes as an audio CD. Is this correct? If it is, is there any plans to upgrade the software to allow for downloading from a USB drive? I have a huge music collection through years of downloading via itunes and from my personal music CDs when we bought the CDs. Times have changed and it isn't very good on my time management to have to dig out CD after CD to grab a few songs off of each.

I am really disappointed in Ford on this one. If this is the only method, Jeep and the other companies with similar feature have really topped Ford. A real shame!
Even if there was an easy way to get your music to the jukebox, it's only 10 gig so you'll be better off just leaving them on a thumb drive.

Another alternative is to add a hard drive. Check out my thread on doing this and where to find a hidden USB port!

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ad...e-sync-511051/
Old 7/27/12, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read your thread already. It was a good read. And I may do just that. But 10 gig is plenty for what I would want to store on it at any given point. I understand if you have too many files, searching becomes slow and difficult too. I would be interested to see if one might be able to expand the internal drive or swap it out for a larger drive. Not sure if it is a regular internal drive or not.

Using an external drive might be a whole lot easier to manage anyway. Is there any difference of navigating the hard drive externally vs using the internal 10gig drive?
Old 7/27/12, 08:54 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zathu
Thanks Jaclyn. Is there any way to be notified as new updates come out?
You're welcome! Announcements will made in our SYNC Owner to Owner forum:

http://Boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

You can also check your SYNC Owner account under the SYNC UPDATES tab:

https://Secure.SyncMyRide.com/Own/Mo...ent/Login.aspx

This is somewhat off topic, but it seems you are on the inside and thought who better to ask the question. I am sure I won't like the answer, but hey if enough people ask, maybe the answer will change.

I was pretty excited to learn that my 2013 had the Jukebox. I knew I was getting the nav system. My wife has the Jeep version My Gig. So I was thrilled I may be able to stick with my stock unit. Until I go to put some music on it. I read that the only way to download music is via a music CD. Is this the only method? I would fully expect I could use a thumb drive to download music. Or maybe burn a DVD or CD with 100 mp3s at a time. But the best I can tell, it has to come from an audio CD from the factory or burnt in itunes as an audio CD. Is this correct? If it is, is there any plans to upgrade the software to allow for downloading from a USB drive? I have a huge music collection through years of downloading via itunes and from my personal music CDs when we bought the CDs. Times have changed and it isn't very good on my time management to have to dig out CD after CD to grab a few songs off of each.
Hi, Myfins1 -

That's correct, only music from CDs can be loaded into the juke box. The design intent was so customer didn't have to carry CDs with them as they aren't as convenient as a thumb drive. We welcome all suggestions, share you thoughts here:

http://Social.Ford.com/

Jaclyn

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 7/27/12 at 08:56 AM.
Old 7/27/12, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi, Myfins1 -

That's correct, only music from CDs can be loaded into the juke box. The design intent was so customer didn't have to carry CDs with them as they aren't as convenient as a thumb drive. We welcome all suggestions, share you thoughts here:

http://Social.Ford.com/

Jaclyn

I think Ford is missing the boat. CD's nor a thumb drive is convenient. Which is the whole reason we have these hard drive systems such as the Jukebox. By having them on the drive itself, I don't have to carry a CD nor a thumb drive. I am sure like many consumers, I believe it would be 'convenient' if a consumer, could transfer 1 gb of music onto his or her thumb drive. Take said thumb drive to the vehicle, and have a 1 button transfer that imports the music to the Jukebox. Maybe this process is completed in a 10-20 min session. That is convenience.

Instead, the convenience it was designed for so customers don't have to carry CD's, a customer has to fumble through there physical CD collection of say up to 100 CDs and carry 100 CDs to their vehicle to transfer all of that music. And possibly for as few as a single song or 2. Plus ejecting and inserting CD after CD until all the desired songs from this pile of CD's is on the Jukebox.

In this digital age people are purchasing their music in digital format and often don't even get a physical CD (It's been 5+ years since I have gotten an actual CD when buying music). This convenience the industry has transitioned to is not inline with the design of Ford's Jukebox. Ford has failed to design true convenience into the Jukebox which will alllow a consurmer to use the very music they have purchased and place on the Jukebox.

I think someone in the design team at Ford might want to get a better grasp on convenience. Maybe it is time they study the primary audience who purchases such features as the Jukebox. I am guessing it is not someone investing in CD after CD so they have CDs to download. Else they would buy a CD changer. It is the digital age and Ford has failed with this design in my opinion.

I challenge you or Ford to do a poll and see if the ability to transfer music from a thumb drive to the jukebox would be a desirable feature. I would further poll to see if the consumer would prefer to transfer from CD media or USB media to get their music on their Jukebox. And if that Poll shows that I am misguided and consumers don't overwhelmingly want this option and prefer it over CD media, I will personally fly to your location and buy you the best Steak Dinner of your choice.

Sincerely,

A very disappointed Jukebox owner. Or shall I say owner of a useless Jukebox since I cannot put music on it that I have purchased over the past several years because Ford thought this was a convenient design!
Old 7/27/12, 06:51 PM

I think Ford is missing the boat. CD's nor a thumb drive is convenient. Which is the whole reason we have these hard drive systems such as the Jukebox. By having them on the drive itself, I don't have to carry a CD nor a thumb drive. I am sure like many consumers, I believe it would be 'convenient' if a consumer, could transfer 1 gb of music onto his or her thumb drive. Take said thumb drive to the vehicle, and have a 1 button transfer that imports the music to the Jukebox. Maybe this process is completed in a 10-20 min session. That is convenience.

Instead, the convenience it was designed for so customers don't have to carry CD's, a customer has to fumble through there physical CD collection of say up to 100 CDs and carry 100 CDs to their vehicle to transfer all of that music. And possibly for as few as a single song or 2. Plus ejecting and inserting CD after CD until all the desired songs from this pile of CD's is on the Jukebox.

In this digital age people are purchasing their music in digital format and often don't even get a physical CD (It's been 5+ years since I have gotten an actual CD when buying music). This convenience the industry has transitioned to is not inline with the design of Ford's Jukebox. Ford has failed to design true convenience into the Jukebox which will alllow a consurmer to use the very music they have purchased and place on the Jukebox.

I think someone in the design team at Ford might want to get a better grasp on convenience. Maybe it is time they study the primary audience who purchases such features as the Jukebox. I am guessing it is not someone investing in CD after CD so they have CDs to download. Else they would buy a CD changer. It is the digital age and Ford has failed with this design in my opinion.

I challenge you or Ford to do a poll and see if the ability to transfer music from a thumb drive to the jukebox would be a desirable feature. I would further poll to see if the consumer would prefer to transfer from CD media or USB media to get their music on their Jukebox. And if that Poll shows that I am misguided and consumers don't overwhelmingly want this option and prefer it over CD media, I will personally fly to your location and buy you the best Steak Dinner of your choice.

Sincerely,

A very disappointed Jukebox owner. Or shall I say owner of a useless Jukebox since I cannot put music on it that I have purchased over the past several years because Ford thought this was a convenient design!
Old 7/30/12, 08:47 AM

Sincerely,

Originally Posted by denlem
Social.Ford.com is a great place to share these thoughts. Not only can other users leave comments, but they can vote as well! It looks like you can already count on denlem to cast a vote.

Jaclyn
Old 7/30/12, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's better that iPhone texting doesn't work with sync because I wouldn't need to text while I'm enjoying my manual mustang
Old 7/30/12, 05:51 PM

Looks like the Sync programmers aren't the only ones to leave out necessary options...

Name:  fordsocial.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  21.4 KB
Old 9/4/12, 04:57 PM

So... is there any word on when this texting bug is being fixed? This broken update has been out for about 2 months now. That's plenty of time to issue a fix.

What's the story, FordIVTteam??
Old 9/4/12, 05:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam

Social.Ford.com is a great place to share these thoughts. Not only can other users leave comments, but they can vote as well! It looks like you can already count on denlem to cast a vote.

Jaclyn
CD's? Sorry ford team. They are in the land of the 8 tracks.
Old 9/4/12, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sincerely,

Just leave the thumb drive plugged into the usb port. You wont have any issues with speed once indexed. I used an ipod on my 2010 with 13 gigs of music plugged into the USB and had no issues with speed when switching tracks via sync. My understanding is ppl hooking up harddrives with 50-100gbs experience more drag on the system due to the QTY of data. Just leaving the USB plugged in will acheieve the exact same result you are looking for. Probably will be faster actually with the flash memory on the USB drive.
Old 9/4/12, 05:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by xlover

Just leave the thumb drive plugged into the usb port. You wont have any issues with speed once indexed. I used an ipod on my 2010 with 13 gigs of music plugged into the USB and had no issues with speed when switching tracks via sync. My understanding is ppl hooking up harddrives with 50-100gbs experience more drag on the system due to the QTY of data. Just leaving the USB plugged in will acheieve the exact same result you are looking for. Probably will be faster actually with the flash memory on the USB drive.

So do you recommend thumb drives over iPods?
Old 9/4/12, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

So... is there any word on when this texting bug is being fixed? This broken update has been out for about 2 months now. That's plenty of time to issue a fix.

Agreed. This thread seems to be getting derailed but the bug in the OP is still a blocker.
Old 9/4/12, 07:03 PM

Still offtopic but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.

Will there EVER be an update for my 2011 w/NAV stuck on version 3.1? Updates had been promised here and there but nothing has ever come of it. seems like all hope is lost over on the sync forums..people have given up. I'd love to have these apps that the non NAV and cars like the fiesta and focus seem to get. There has not been an update since 7/29/10 kinda doubt there ever will be.

rmurad38
Old 9/4/12, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurad38
Still offtopic but I'd thought I'd throw it out there.

Will there EVER be an update for my 2011 w/NAV stuck on version 3.1? Updates had been promised here and there but nothing has ever come of it. seems like all hope is lost over on the sync forums..people have given up. I'd love to have these apps that the non NAV and cars like the fiesta and focus seem to get. There has not been an update since 7/29/10 kinda doubt there ever will be.

rmurad38
Nope
Old 9/4/12, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by driftboatbum
So do you recommend thumb drives over iPods?
i think you would experience slightly better performance on indexing with the thumb drive because there is no background processor functions running like on an ipod/iphone. that said i got near flawless performance from a 16gb gen 1 ipod touch (occasionally had issues with needing to reindex on random car starts but my understanding was the issue was with the limited IOS upgrades for such an old ipod) and flawless with my VZW iphone 4s. a usb thumb drive would essentially function the same as a flash memory drive hardwired to the system, USB 2.0 has way more bandwidth than needed for playing music and the only limitation would be the systems ability to process the size of your library which wouldnt matter if it is on the internal hard drive or the thumb drive. like i mentioned earlier i have had no issues in the 10-15 gig range and have only heard of delays with ppl running an external hard drive on the USB at 50-100gbs.

the real benefit to the hard drive is that the nav db is installed there which makes it substantially faster than the old CD based systems. in my opinion the jukebox feature is an ancillary benefit that in most cases can be superseded by a better option (ie. thumb drive, ipod)

just to note i refered to indexing a few times thats what sync does when you attach a new device to establish for the system a quick path for the software to know what is on your device. it should only need to reindex when you make an adjustment like a new playlist or add new tracks
Old 9/7/12, 10:16 AM

I guess getting an answer is like actually getting an update!
Old 9/7/12, 11:04 AM
V6 Member

What kind of a freaking moron texts while driving ? The cops need to stop revenue raising and capture all the idiots swerving down the road , using all the lanes and shoulder , and charge them with assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder . Drive your car and stroke your toy at home . I'm getting tired of dodging distracted drivers . Especially on my motorcycle .
Old 9/7/12, 01:37 PM

This
Old 9/10/12, 08:20 AM

Hey everyone -

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting to reply until I had some new information, but I haven't heard anything yet. As soon as I do, I'll be back.

Jaclyn

Quick Reply: Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3