Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/12, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3

What's broken?
There is a bug in the Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Protocol) implementation that provide text messaging through the SYNC interface in the V4.1.3 that comes in 2013s.
The bug is that SYNC displays the To: phone number in the the From: phone number field of the Text Messaging feature.

Which phones are affected?
I've verified the issue with several implementation of Android 4.0 ICS and 4.1 JellyBean that include the Bluetooth MAP profile originating from the CodeAurora Forum/Qualcomm Bluetooth reference code, including the AT&T HTC One X, CM9 HTC One X, HTC Evo 3D, Verizon Droid Razr, CM10 Galaxy Nexus.

Google has not added a MAP profile to AOSP, so the CodeAurora Forum Qualcom chipset reference code seems to be a most popular base for device makers looking to add value to Android. The copyright of this code indicates that it was originally created by Motorola. I believe the Samsung Galaxy S series ROM has a different implementation which I have not tested. I've only looked at Android phones, but I would imagine that other operating systems would be affected as the bMessage is part of the official MAP spec.

What's actually going on here?
When your phone sends SYNC a SMS, it sends a "bMessage" that looks something like this:
bMessageSMS test
=======================

BEGIN:BMSG
VERSION:1.0
TYPE:SMS_GSM
FOLDER:TELECOM/MSG/inbox
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Joe Thesender
TEL:+13332224444
END:VCARD
BEGIN:BENV
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:My Number
TEL:+2225558888
END:VCARD
BEGIN:BBODY
CHARSET:UTF-8
LENGTH:26
BEGIN:MSG
Hey Zathu, want to grab some sushi for lunch?
END:MSG
END:BBODY
END:BENV
END:BMSG
SYNC is parsing the bMessage incorrectly, reading the second "TEL:" (in this case, +2225558888, the recipient) as the sender's phone number, rather than the correct one which comes first. This may be a simple logic error, where the parser in SYNC reads the last TEL: it gets as the sender.

How do we know this is the problem?
I built my own Android ROM (CM10) from modified source code that builds the bMessage incorrectly to match up with v4.1.3's broken parser. My custom bMessage builder uses the SMS sender's phone number for both TEL: fields in the bMessage. With this ROM installed on my phone SYNC behaves as expected.

What needs to be done to fix it?
Ford SYNC developers need to do something along these lines:
  1. Find the bMessage parser function in SYNC Gen1 v4.1.3
  2. Change the originator variable to parse from the correct TEL: line from the bMessage (Needs to read the first TEL: and NOT the second)
  3. Run the build process and distribute update

EDIT: This bug is now fixed! Read details here.

Last edited by Zathu; 10/2/13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 7/21/12, 11:10 AM
GT Member

texts don't show for me with my evo 3d and searching around made it sound like it wouldn't so I never looked into it more. How do you get it to work? That would be annoying not knowing who it is from
Old 7/21/12, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

When I tried my friend's Evo 3D, I just had to go into advanced bluetooth settings and enable messaging access before pairing.
Old 7/24/12, 09:02 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Zathu & SkyyPunk -

Our engineers are aware of this and are further investigating. As I obtain new info, I'll pass it along. Stay tuned!

Jaclyn

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 7/24/12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 7/24/12, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

I look forward to it, thanks. Anticipating using MAP more when iOS 6 hits in October.
Old 7/24/12, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

What's the MAP bug? I have a Droid RAZR and the issue I'm having is that I can't use the auto-reply text message preloaded in Sync. Say I want to reply with "Yes", I hit OK to send message and it says sending error.
Old 7/24/12, 10:46 AM
V6 Member

The MAP bug is the issue that I described in the original post with v4.1.3. Are you also on v4.1.3?
Old 7/24/12, 12:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zathu
I look forward to it, thanks. Anticipating using MAP more when iOS 6 hits in October.
i hope that is availiable in ios6...that is the ONLY thing i miss from my droidX
Old 7/24/12, 12:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
i hope that is availiable in ios6...that is the ONLY thing i miss from my droidX
It is. It's available in the beta currently.
Old 7/24/12, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is. It's available in the beta currently.
i think i love you
Old 7/24/12, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesnt work with iPhone either and I made peace with that
Old 7/24/12, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Drive now - text or talk later. Notice no simile - no ones mind should be taken off the task at hand when guiding a two ton missile at speed.

Sheesh....

Last edited by citizen arcane; 7/24/12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by viiStang
What's the MAP bug? I have a Droid RAZR and the issue I'm having is that I can't use the auto-reply text message preloaded in Sync. Say I want to reply with "Yes", I hit OK to send message and it says sending error.
The text messaging feature is phone-dependent, viiStang. Are you referring to the Driod RAZR Maxx or the regular RAZR? In order for it to work, your phone must support Message Access Profile (MAP). I'd like to look into this further, let me know which one you have.

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Doesnt work with iPhone either and I made peace with that
Hi, CHDS PNY & HizliBullet -

The iPhone currently does not support MAP. I can't speculate on how iOS6 will interact with SYNC and MyFord Touch, but we're working closely with Apple and remain hopeful. My fingers are crossed! As more info is available, it will be shared here:

http://Boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

Jaclyn

Last edited by FordIVTteam; 7/25/12 at 09:43 AM.
Old 7/25/12, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

It is the regular Droid Razr that I have, I got the phone in December of last year. I'm not sure if it supports MAP? I also just upgraded the OS to ICS 4.0 a couple of weeks ago. I heard that ICS does support MAP though.

Last edited by viiStang; 7/25/12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 7/25/12, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

The MAP bug is the issue that I described in the original post with v4.1.3. Are you also on v4.1.3?
Yes.
Old 7/25/12, 06:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the RAZR Maxx and it's doing the same thing. When I first got the car a month ago it was working fine. Text messages would show the recipients name.

In between that time I did an upgrade from Gingerbread 3.2.6 to ICS 4.04 and did a Sync upgrade. After that, messages received all say they are from "me".

I always blamed the ICS upgrade, but now that I think of it the sync upgrade was later and thats when I noticed it.

Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3-2012-07-25_20-12-05_653.jpg
Old 7/26/12, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Also on the non nav screen, the text messages that I get the time stamp is incorrect. It says something like 2070/1/1. I don't think this is a delorean..
Old 7/26/12, 01:03 PM

It is the regular Droid Razr that I have, I got the phone in December of last year. I'm not sure if it supports MAP? I also just upgraded the OS to ICS 4.0 a couple of weeks ago. I heard that ICS does support MAP though.
Here's a link to our compatibility chart:

http://www.Nsapp.FordTechService.dea...N_iop_1_30.pdf

The RAZRV3, RAZR2V9, RAZRV3i, and RAZRV3I all support text messaging.

Originally Posted by denlem
I have the RAZR Maxx and it's doing the same thing. When I first got the car a month ago it was working fine. Text messages would show the recipients name.
In between that time I did an upgrade from Gingerbread 3.2.6 to ICS 4.04 and did a Sync upgrade. After that, messages received all say they are from "me". I always blamed the ICS upgrade, but now that I think of it the sync upgrade was later and thats when I noticed it.
That makes perfect sense, denlem. As I stated above, our engineers are working on a resolution. As more info is provided to me, I'll pass it along.

Also on the non nav screen, the text messages that I get the time stamp is incorrect. It says something like 2070/1/1. I don't think this is a delorean..
Contrary to the recent internet hoax, we're quickly approaching the real date Marty McFly and Doc Brown traveled to. (Oct. 21, 2015, if you're wondering. LOL!) On a serious note though, I'll let our engineering team know this as well.

Jaclyn
Old 7/26/12, 01:06 PM
V6 Member

Thanks Jaclyn. Is there any way to be notified as new updates come out?
Old 7/26/12, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
As more info is available, it will be shared here:

http://Boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pf...cmb&listMode=0

Jaclyn
This is somewhat off topic, but it seems you are on the inside and thought who better to ask the question. I am sure I won't like the answer, but hey if enough people ask, maybe the answer will change.

I was pretty excited to learn that my 2013 had the Jukebox. I knew I was getting the nav system. My wife has the Jeep version My Gig. So I was thrilled I may be able to stick with my stock unit. Until I go to put some music on it. I read that the only way to download music is via a music CD. Is this the only method? I would fully expect I could use a thumb drive to download music. Or maybe burn a DVD or CD with 100 mp3s at a time. But the best I can tell, it has to come from an audio CD from the factory or burnt in itunes as an audio CD. Is this correct? If it is, is there any plans to upgrade the software to allow for downloading from a USB drive? I have a huge music collection through years of downloading via itunes and from my personal music CDs when we bought the CDs. Times have changed and it isn't very good on my time management to have to dig out CD after CD to grab a few songs off of each.

I am really disappointed in Ford on this one. If this is the only method, Jeep and the other companies with similar feature have really topped Ford. A real shame!

Quick Reply: Texting Bug Identified in Sync v4.1.3