Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Seat belt "arm" broke!!

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/14, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Seat belt "arm" broke!!

Really need to vent. My 2014 Mustang doesn't even have 9k miles and the arm assembly that holds the seat belt has broken off and the assembly is separated "dangling or loose" on the belt. I know I can have it replaced under warranty, but I'm hoping this is not an ongoing issue. The plastic piece that holds it in position broke and is sharp. So now I hope that it hasn't scratched my interior or cut into my leather seat. Has anyone else had this happen?

edit: actually the arm did not break, but the plastic piece that adheres it to side of the car

Last edited by Serion; 7/8/14 at 12:02 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 7/8/14, 01:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Must picked mine up this past weekend, but that arm is a joke. The whole seatbelt situation was terrible on my last 2 SN95s, and shockingly Ford has gotten worse with this solution, not better!

Do you have the Recaros?
Old 7/8/14, 10:31 AM

I have regular seats. Went to the dealer today. The service manager had to order the part (probably the entire seat belt assembly), but he broke off the 'arm' which at least makes it more comfortable to drive.
Old 7/8/14, 03:08 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Serion
Really need to vent. My 2014 Mustang doesn't even have 9k miles and the arm assembly that holds the seat belt has broken off and the assembly is separated "dangling or loose" on the belt. I know I can have it replaced under warranty, but I'm hoping this is not an ongoing issue. The plastic piece that holds it in position broke and is sharp. So now I hope that it hasn't scratched my interior or cut into my leather seat. Has anyone else had this happen?

edit: actually the arm did not break, but the plastic piece that adheres it to side of the car
I’m glad your dealer is taking care of this for you, Serion. I’m happy to get this documented for you. If you’d like, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 7/8/14, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
I had both of those server thingies replaced on my '13 ...
Old 7/10/14, 10:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I noticed that mine were originally tight and would function like a ratchet that clicks. Now they are loose and floppy. Guess I'm next.
Old 7/22/14, 03:29 PM

Annoyed

Originally Posted by Serion

Just bought my 2014 used Mustang from the dealer, and had a similar thing happen. The plastic seat belt arm broke within the first 30 days of me owning the car, the temp tags were still on it! There are 3 plastic pieces that hold the seat belt......one circular piece that holds the arm to the side of the car, the plastic arm and the piece that attaches the arm to the actual belt. The arm is what broke on mine. I took it to the dealer, and they originally were NOT going to fix it under warranty because "it wasn't Ford's fault" for it being faulty, flimsy and breaking. But by the grace of God (or whomever), the parts manager approved the fix. Instead of just fixing the arm, they have to remove the entire seat belt assembly and put a new one in. (Ps- a new seat belt assembly is $549) If this happens to you, I'd highly recommend doing whatever you have to do to get them to cover it.
Old 7/22/14, 03:30 PM

Just bought my 2014 used Mustang from the dealer, and had a similar thing happen. The plastic seat belt arm broke within the first 30 days of me owning the car, the temp tags were still on it! There are 3 plastic pieces that hold the seat belt......one circular piece that holds the arm to the side of the car, the plastic arm and the piece that attaches the arm to the actual belt. The arm is what broke on mine. I took it to the dealer, and they originally were NOT going to fix it under warranty because "it wasn't Ford's fault" for it being faulty, flimsy and breaking. But by the grace of God (or whomever), the parts manager approved the fix. Instead of just fixing the arm, they have to remove the entire seat belt assembly and put a new one in. (Ps- a new seat belt assembly is $549) If this happens to you, I'd highly recommend doing whatever you have to do to get them to cover it.
Old 7/26/14, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

My passenger side broke on my 2014, entire seatbelt assembly had to be replaced instead of replacing the $1.00 piece of plastic, which is effing stupid and a waste of money on Ford's part.

My issue was the little spring/piston that moves against the internal plastic cam that allows it to rachet into multiple positions, leaving the seatbelt arm mounted with the seatbelt on the B-Pillar just hanging straight down instead of holding it out at a 70* angle. My carpool buddy has a real hard time getting the seatbelt on everyday.
Old 8/13/14, 10:07 PM

The part is called a "presenter arm" on page 35 of the Owner's Manual. Hard to believe but it cannot be ordered or replaced. The entire seat belt assembly must be replaced instead. As an engineer this is unbelievable to me. That's $251 dealer, $277 retail. Got one of mine replaced under the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Last edited by F-22; 8/13/14 at 10:23 PM.
Old 8/17/14, 10:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by F-22
The part is called a "presenter arm" on page 35 of the Owner's Manual. Hard to believe but it cannot be ordered or replaced. The entire seat belt assembly must be replaced instead. As an engineer this is unbelievable to me. That's $251 dealer, $277 retail. Got one of mine replaced under the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty.
Mine too, replaced entire seat belt assembly. The only reasoning I can come up with for Ford to replace the entire assembly compared to the little parts is liability. If the tech reassembled incorrectly and any sort of accident occurs with seatbelt related injuries, liability $$$$$$.

Last edited by kn7671; 8/17/14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 1/17/18, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by kn7671
Mine too, replaced entire seat belt assembly. The only reasoning I can come up with for Ford to replace the entire assembly compared to the little parts is liability. If the tech reassembled incorrectly and any sort of accident occurs with seatbelt related injuries, liability $$$$$$.
Liability is what I was told by Ford.
Old 7/15/18, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My seatbelt does not retract when I unbuckle it. Is this the problem described in this thread or have others had this happen? Is this a warranty fix since safety related?