Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Red Key and NO White Keys?

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/13, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Key and NO White Keys?

As I posted over the weekend in the Boss section, my wife and I just bought a 2012 Boss 302.

What annoys me though, when buying used, is that it did NOT come with floor mats, Boss Manual, OR! The white keys.

Seriously, I only have the Red Key. However, I don't think its programmed.

Since I've never had the white key, or a Boss, I don't know how they're supposed to sound. It sounds like its giving the "cammed sound" but then again it could just be the actual V8 sound (my last GT had stock exhaust).
It does not pop up on the display "Track Key Activated" so my guess is that it's acting as just a white key.

So! Two questions...
How do I find out if the car is programmed for this key?

and

Is there any way to get the original Boss... stuff? at a decent price?
I called the dealer I bought it from down here in Houston and they said they couldn't find any extra keys, floor mats, manuals or anything and that most likely, the person who traded it in, didn't give them those.

I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing the previous owner gave them the Red Key and NOT the White key(s).
I'm assuming the dealer just grabbed one of the keys, not knowing which is which, and put it in the car's file. What they did with the rest, no idea!
But where are the rest!?

Last edited by Krohn; 10/10/13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10/10/13, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have worked at a Dealer for 7 years and unfortunately this sort of thing happens all the time. If the vehicle came from a auction especially. They will remove mats, manuals and even shift ***** sometimes to prevent them from being stolen. Then they get lost and never returned to the car. Total waste due to peoples lazy and uncaring behavior. Good luck Bud! Wish you the Best!
Old 10/10/13, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In regards to the key issue...the red key functions just like a normal key until the programming is installed. You have to buy the Track Key voucher for that. I purchased mine from Tousley Ford for $200, then had my local dealer complete the install. Once this is done, the display will give you the Track Key active notation. I know you can buy another key, but I'm betting if you want one like the one that came with the car (white key as you call it) it's probably not going to be cheap just because it says Boss 302 on it.
Old 10/10/13, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you buy it with those things missing?
Old 10/11/13, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I have worked at a Dealer for 7 years and unfortunately this sort of thing happens all the time. If the vehicle came from a auction especially. They will remove mats, manuals and even shift ***** sometimes to prevent them from being stolen. Then they get lost and never returned to the car. Total waste due to peoples lazy and uncaring behavior. Good luck Bud! Wish you the Best!
Man, I'm not surprised, just bummed. Thanks though!

I'm glad I noticed it before I left. I grabbed the base GT Manual from my other 2012. This way all I have to find is the Boss supplement. (May be shady, but they're expensive to buy the whole package)

Originally Posted by BaknBlk
In regards to the key issue...the red key functions just like a normal key until the programming is installed. You have to buy the Track Key voucher for that. I purchased mine from Tousley Ford for $200, then had my local dealer complete the install. Once this is done, the display will give you the Track Key active notation. I know you can buy another key, but I'm betting if you want one like the one that came with the car (white key as you call it) it's probably not going to be cheap just because it says Boss 302 on it.
Exactly, big name, big price. I Think for my daily keys, I may just grab a couple of the VW styled flip keys like a lot of other guys have done.

Originally Posted by t-fatty
Why would you buy it with those things missing?
Great deal on car.
Floor Mats: $100
Flip Keys: $50-100
Boss Manual Supplement: <$40

Now if you asked why would someone buy a Boss 302 when it's missing the Boss 302 intake manifold, then I would see your point. Luckily, it was just three little things. So, easy fixes. It is used, after all.

Last edited by Krohn; 10/11/13 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10/12/13, 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback

And for those buying used cars it's very important now to make sure the vehicle is purchased with two working keys. Some vehicles can cost in the hundreds to replace and reprogram.
Old 10/14/13, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have two working keys you can do the switchblade mod too
Old 10/15/13, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mustangman55
If you have two working keys you can do the switchblade mod too
Switchblade mod? And two working keys?
I currently have only one key.
Old 10/17/13, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have only one key, you have not received the full, working vehicle. Better see the dealer you bought the car from about getting that second one. Lose your key or lock it in the car, you'll be buying a tow to the Ford store and a couple hundred dollars in new keys. You've been cheated, no matter what a good deal you got. Cheated.
Old 10/18/13, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Hopefully the dealer will help you out. Watched one of the office girls throw away an entire box of old keys and owners manuals just a couple days ago... What a waste...
Old 10/18/13, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
this is why i buy NEW 99% of the time.....if the car comes with 2 keys...why does it not come with 2 when you buy it used.....i hate this....i make sure i have 2 keys....that is one of the deal breakers for me. if im buying another boss i want to make sure it has the 2 keys and owners manual...if not i want the name of that guy so i can get it from him.
where do the other keys go? thats what i want to know...if your so bad in losing keys should you even be driving?? maybe forget where you live??
Old 10/18/13, 07:07 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,665 Posts
Just curious here but the OP says white key? My keys were grey and red? Do some of you guys have white and red?
Old 10/20/13, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Just curious here but the OP says white key? My keys were grey and red? Do some of you guys have white and red?
Car comes new with one silver key and one red key. The track key feature of the red key must be activated with a voucher from ford racing. Spare keys in both red and silver may be purchased thru your dealer like any other key, however only one red key can be activated with the ford racing tune. You could in theory have upto the max number of keys as stated in owners manual
Old 10/22/13, 06:49 PM

I have bought several cars with only one key and no owner's manual, it sucks! I mean, I can see losing the key, maybe, but the owner's manual? Really? I always make sure I give the dealer both keys when I trade in and I've seen them only tag one key, I honestly don't think they care.
Old 10/30/13, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TonyaPony
I have bought several cars with only one key and no owner's manual, it sucks! I mean, I can see losing the key, maybe, but the owner's manual? Really? I always make sure I give the dealer both keys when I trade in and I've seen them only tag one key, I honestly don't think they care.
This. I've bought several used cars with no issues. This time though, one key. When I called, they only said, we'll check out inventory... nothing.

I did buy the Boss supplement from the Ford supplier for $10. So, at least I have that now. But I'll call their manager when I get home from offshore and see what he says. It's a month passed when I bought it but hopefully something. Hopefully...