Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Hood paint

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/14, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood paint

Hi, I have noticed a lot of people writing about the bubbling paint on the hood, so I went and took a closer look at mine. I have major bubbling on the underside and front edge of my hood. Is this a problem ford is admitting or what? I bought my car used its a 2012 that is under the 3 year 36k warranty till march 15th, I would like to get this covered as its only going to get worse. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10/7/14, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will be covered. Make sure you go to a reputable place. It took me 2 tries to find one that would fix it.
Old 10/8/14, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
It will be covered. Make sure you go to a reputable place. It took me 2 tries to find one that would fix it.
My car had the warranty and was not covered!

Case by case basis, take it to dealer ASAP. Don't let them give you a low budget "fix", hood needs to be replaced. If they sand it down and repaint it will return when you don't have a warranty. Get estimate in writing of what they are fixing and how. Make sure you get it in writing the warranty on their repair work. Talk to dealer first before submitting claim to Ford, some dealers want to fix it right others do not, but ultimately it is Ford's decision how it gets repaired.
Old 10/8/14, 04:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by luap1376
My car had the warranty and was not covered!

Case by case basis, take it to dealer ASAP. Don't let them give you a low budget "fix", hood needs to be replaced. If they sand it down and repaint it will return when you don't have a warranty. Get estimate in writing of what they are fixing and how. Make sure you get it in writing the warranty on their repair work. Talk to dealer first before submitting claim to Ford, some dealers want to fix it right others do not, but ultimately it is Ford's decision how it gets repaired.
Did you go to another dealer?
Old 10/8/14, 05:29 AM
V6 Member

What year/s are we talking about here?? Does this affect 2014 models??
Old 10/8/14, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Did you go to another dealer?
Went to many dealers. I bought my car used, not the original owner not sure if that made a difference.

Dealers all said it is Ford's decision all they do is give the excuse and submit the claim. I trust the dealer, said it would never be fixed unless hood was replaced with after market. Told me even a new Ford hood could have the same problem. They were all very disappointed with Ford's sand and repaint way of fixing problem. I was told to not waste my money on that by the dealer who was going to do the repair. They couldn't count how many times they had gone through this with other Mustang owners.
Old 10/8/14, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Speedwagon
What year/s are we talking about here?? Does this affect 2014 models??
Any Mustang built in last 10 or so years with aluminum hood can have the issue. I have personally seen it on 2014 models, read through the many posts on this topic. I'm not sure, but I'd guess you will find someone with the issue on a 2014.
Old 10/8/14, 05:52 AM
V6 Member

Went to many dealers. I bought my car used, not the original owner not sure if that made a difference.

Dealers all said it is Ford's decision all they do is give the excuse and submit the claim. I trust the dealer, said it would never be fixed unless hood was replaced with after market. Told me even a new Ford hood could have the same problem. They were all very disappointed with Ford's sand and repaint way of fixing problem. I was told to not waste my money on that by the dealer who was going to do the repair. They couldn't count how many times they had gone through this with other Mustang owners.
Seems as though they are not dissipating the heat from under the hood fast enough. That, coupled with a bad paint job off the line could spell disaster. Why don't they give you some $$ towards and after market hood? Seems only fair... Don't you agree??
Old 10/8/14, 06:05 AM

Seems as though they are not dissipating the heat from under the hood fast enough. That, coupled with a bad paint job off the line could spell disaster. Why don't they give you some $$ towards and after market hood? Seems only fair... Don't you agree??
Goes far deeper than heat and paint. Read the other threads, tons of reasons why it happens. Haven't heard heat being one of them.

It's a large corporation with a non safety related flaw, I'm sure they have crunched the numbers and determined their present course of action is the most profitable way to go. Why would they care about fair?

Sorry if I seem bitter to you all, but look at the pictures of my hood on another thread. I pay $400/month for that!
Old 10/8/14, 06:13 AM
V6 Member

Goes far deeper than heat and paint. Read the other threads, tons of reasons why it happens. Haven't heard heat being one of them.

It's a large corporation with a non safety related flaw, I'm sure they have crunched the numbers and determined their present course of action is the most profitable way to go. Why would they care about fair?

Sorry if I seem bitter to you all, but look at the pictures of my hood on another thread. I pay $400/month for that!
Well... I planned on replacing my OEM hood anyway in the very near future, so I wont really have to worry about. I have a shop around my house that does excellent work and has really decent prices. I went to school with the owner so he gives me a cut rate...
Old 10/8/14, 06:28 AM

Well... I planned on replacing my OEM hood anyway in the very near future, so I wont really have to worry about. I have a shop around my house that does excellent work and has really decent prices. I went to school with the owner so he gives me a cut rate...
Another reason why Ford doesn't fix this, a good percentage of Mustang owners will do it for them!
Old 10/8/14, 06:33 AM
V6 Member

Another reason why Ford doesn't fix this, a good percentage of Mustang owners will do it for them!
This is what I've decided to replace my hood with: http://www.cervinis.com/13-14mustang-stalker-hood.html
Old 10/8/14, 07:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wraith1176
Hi, I have noticed a lot of people writing about the bubbling paint on the hood, so I went and took a closer look at mine. I have major bubbling on the underside and front edge of my hood. Is this a problem ford is admitting or what? I bought my car used its a 2012 that is under the 3 year 36k warranty till march 15th, I would like to get this covered as its only going to get worse. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Hello Wraith1176,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer and have them fully diagnose it. Be sure to speak with your service manager as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 10/8/14, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hello Wraith1176,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your Ford Dealer and have them fully diagnose it. Be sure to speak with your service manager as he is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha

Hi Deysha,
I recently was denied warranty coverage for some paint issues on the underside of my hood as well as one spot on the inner driver's side fender. The denial was based on Ford's position that someone spilled something on the paint so they denied everything. This was after approving the same type of damage on the underside of my trunk lid which did get fixed under warranty. Nothing has ever been spilled on my car and it's pretty impossible to spill something on the underside of the hood along the seam on both sides.

You can see the pictures of my damage down below on a thread I made.

Since pictures were submitted, I don't know how someone in a remote location can make a fair assessment of damage by looking at pictures. My SA said that trim and paint issues have been taken out of the dealer's hand and everything has to be sent to Ford.

What is my next recourse on this? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 10/9/14, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte
Hi Deysha,
I recently was denied warranty coverage for some paint issues on the underside of my hood as well as one spot on the inner driver's side fender. The denial was based on Ford's position that someone spilled something on the paint so they denied everything. This was after approving the same type of damage on the underside of my trunk lid which did get fixed under warranty. Nothing has ever been spilled on my car and it's pretty impossible to spill something on the underside of the hood along the seam on both sides. ...
Hi 70monte,

If your dealer feels this is not caused by “something spilling” on it, they can appeal this for you. I would also have them send in new pictures, because the previous ones are extremely blurry. If they resubmit this for you, let me know.

Deysha
Old 10/9/14, 05:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi 70monte,

If your dealer feels this is not caused by “something spilling” on it, they can appeal this for you. I would also have them send in new pictures, because the previous ones are extremely blurry. If they resubmit this for you, let me know.

Deysha

Thank you Deysha,
I will go back and ask them to take better pictures. Thanks for looking into it. I will let you know what I find out.

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 07:41 AM

Thank you Deysha,
I will go back and ask them to take better pictures. Thanks for looking into it. I will let you know what I find out.
No problem, 70monte. Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 10/10/14, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Deysha,
I took the car to the dealer today to get the tires rotated and asked them to take new pictures. They ended up not taking any pictures at this time.

I did take the car to the Auto body shop that does warranty work for this dealer and who had fixed the paint on my trunk lid. They looked at it and said at this time, they can't really tell if it's corrosion or sealer that was painted over unless they sand into the areas.

They recommended that I keep an eye on it for the next year since I still have plenty of warranty left to see if the areas change. I think this is what I will do since I don't want any un-needed paint work if I can help it. Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 01:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
This is what I've decided to replace my hood with: http://www.cervinis.com/13-14mustang-stalker-hood.html
This is my plan as well, and I wanted the hood anyways heh
Old 10/10/14, 02:54 PM

Hi Deysha,
I took the car to the dealer today to get the tires rotated and asked them to take new pictures. They ended up not taking any pictures at this time.

I did take the car to the Auto body shop that does warranty work for this dealer and who had fixed the paint on my trunk lid. They looked at it and said at this time, they can't really tell if it's corrosion or sealer that was painted over unless they sand into the areas.

They recommended that I keep an eye on it for the next year since I still have plenty of warranty left to see if the areas change. I think this is what I will do since I don't want any un-needed paint work if I can help it. Thanks again.
No problem, 70monte. Keep me posted.

Deysha

Quick Reply: Hood paint