Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Problems with Sync Voice Commands

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/11, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Sync Voice Commands

Does anyone know of any TSBs or anything else the dealer can do to address Sync not understaning voice commands? I have been having tons of problems recently getting it to accurately interpret commands while using the phone or Sync Services.

For example, last night I was using the directions service, and gave it the city, state and then the address. I said "one six six nine north quaker lane" it heard "1 6 8 9 north quaker lane" and then asked if it was correct. I said no, and then it said it couldn't find that address on the map, thinking I had said yes. I fought with it for about half an hour before I gave up and used operator assist. Although ironically once the operator sent the address to the car, it asked if I wanted to get directions, to which I responded yes. It heard no and brought me back to the main menu.

Other times, I will press the voice button, and say "Call Dom on cell", and it will hear "Call Alan Ma."

All of these issue have happened with the windows rolled up and the A/C on fairly low. I was just wondering if there is a microphone upgrade or other fix that the dealer can do. Or is this something the ubiquitous fuse-pull can address?
Old 12/24/11, 07:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least with the navi, there is a menu option to train sync to your voice.

I have no idea if it's in the non-nav cars.

As far as I know there is not a tsb. My sync understands me perfectly all the time.
Old 12/24/11, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the non-nav Sync and I've had a few problems but I addressed it by trying to enunciate more clearly. That seems to fix it.
Old 12/24/11, 08:59 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine misses on some words but not many. I found speaking slowly for one thing plus on things like a double number like 66.....space your words more for it to get both numbers.

I have not heard of any update.
Old 12/26/11, 01:52 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LEwis26
At least with the navi, there is a menu option to train sync to your voice.

I have no idea if it's in the non-nav cars.

As far as I know there is not a tsb. My sync understands me perfectly all the time.
This.

I don't believe there is an option to train Sync in non-nav cars...
Old 12/26/11, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Non-Nav sync.The only issue I've had so far is the command for shuffle on-off.

On 1 particular song & artist Foghat-Slowride I originally asked for shuffle on & worked fine.Shuffle turned on & all was fine.Now when I ask for a particular song or artist it works fine but then reverts back to shuffle off even though it says it's on.I press the button & ask for shuffle on (says shuffle off instead of shuffle on) either way I can't get the shuffle ON unless I ask for song Slowride.

I say shuffle on she says shuffle off I wait then say shuffle on she says shuffle on but stays stuck on that particular artist or song which ever you asked for.WIERD!Other than that seems fine!

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12/27/11, 07:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SYNC has been pretty decent for the most part. The only times I've seen the system not recognize commands was when the microphone was faulty. On the cars where the mic was on the rear mirror, they replaced the mirror with a new one and that solved the problem.

On the spacing of numbers, that is a great point. Also, if you have a cold or your a little stuffed up, the system will have a hard time understanding commands as well. Clear sounding words work the best. Especially when you project your voice forward towards the windshield.
Old 1/5/12, 09:29 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seenbag
Does anyone know of any TSBs or anything else the dealer can do to address Sync not understaning voice commands? I have been having tons of problems recently getting it to accurately interpret commands while using the phone or Sync Services.

For example, last night I was using the directions service, and gave it the city, state and then the address. I said "one six six nine north quaker lane" it heard "1 6 8 9 north quaker lane" and then asked if it was correct. I said no, and then it said it couldn't find that address on the map, thinking I had said yes. I fought with it for about half an hour before I gave up and used operator assist. Although ironically once the operator sent the address to the car, it asked if I wanted to get directions, to which I responded yes. It heard no and brought me back to the main menu.

Other times, I will press the voice button, and say "Call Dom on cell", and it will hear "Call Alan Ma."

All of these issue have happened with the windows rolled up and the A/C on fairly low. I was just wondering if there is a microphone upgrade or other fix that the dealer can do. Or is this something the ubiquitous fuse-pull can address?
I'd definitely like to look into this further. The first thing you'll want to do is make sure you have the most up-to-date software installed. Here's a link to check for available updates:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Module...uestLogin.aspx

If you already have the latest version, recommend performing a Master Reset. I've provided the instructions below:

Note: To scroll use your seek arrows.

1. Press PHONE to enter the PHONE MENU.
2. Scroll repeatedly until SYSTEM SETTINGS appears in the radio display.
3. Press OK to enter the SYSTEM SETTINGS menu.
4. Scroll repeatedly until ADVANCED appears in the radio display. Press OK.
5. Scroll repeatedly until MASTER RESET appears in the radio display
6. Press OK.

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This.
I don't believe there is an option to train Sync in non-nav cars...
You're correct. This option is only available with the in-dash navigation system.

Originally Posted by knk11stang
Non-Nav sync.The only issue I've had so far is the command for shuffle on-off.

On 1 particular song & artist Foghat-Slowride I originally asked for shuffle on & worked fine.Shuffle turned on & all was fine.Now when I ask for a particular song or artist it works fine but then reverts back to shuffle off even though it says it's on.I press the button & ask for shuffle on (says shuffle off instead of shuffle on) either way I can't get the shuffle ON unless I ask for song Slowride.

I say shuffle on she says shuffle off I wait then say shuffle on she says shuffle on but stays stuck on that particular artist or song which ever you asked for.WIERD!Other than that seems fine!

Anyone else have this problem?
Just to confirm, when you say it gets stuck on the same artist or song after you say shuffle on, does it shuffle properly once that particular track is done playing?

Happy new year everyone!

Jaclyn