Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Please HELP.. at WOT the car almost feels like it’s in neutral after replacing cats

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/18, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please HELP.. at WOT the car almost feels like it’s in neutral after replacing cats

Please someone help. Let me start by saying I’m a die hard Ford guy. I bought this car for my little girl for her 16th bday about a year ago at the Ford dealership that I had been the F&I director for years. It only had 55k miles on it now has 61k and is immaculate . It all started a few months back with a slight rattling sound at start up and idle. I didn’t think it was a big deal at that point but it progressively got worse. I finally got some extra time and decided to try and locate the cause. I got under the car and tapped the pipe with a rubber mallet and found it was coming from the cats. I knew that they were covered for 8 years/80,000 miles and since the in service date was in early 2010 it was covered by Ford. Just a few days before taking the car in,my daughter said when she pressed the gas pedal and it got to around 3,000 Rpms it wouldn’t go. I figured the cats had completely clogged at that point and was restricting the engine from breathing. I took the car to a local dealership and they replaced the cats under the emissions warranty . The service advisor called and said it also needed a evap solenoid and that was letting it dump excess fuel in the exhaust and was probably what caused the cats to clog and that the repair would be $198. I told the guy I would pick the up and replace the part myself, I’m mechanically inclined ,I service my our diesels and have maintained and made all repairs to all our vehicles. I have the Autoenginuity scan tool with the Ford enhancement package that I normally use to diagnose and repair the vehicles but I’m at a loss , got frustrated and started and just started replacing parts and needless to say it’s getting costly. I started with the basics and replaced the plugs,wires,coil pack,both solenoids on the evap system,TPS,MAF and also the rear O2 sensor on the passenger side because the other one wasn’t completely seated. I ended up have to clean the threads so I went ahead and replaced that O2. If you slightly press the pedal the car will shift thru the gears as it should. The problem is if you get on it or go wot trying to go into passing gear,it revs and feels almost like it’s in neutral. Please help
Old 1/29/18, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I am only making a wild guess . . . but . . . it sounds to me like it could be a transmission issue, possibly unrelated to the cats