Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Perelli P Zero Tires

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/13 | 08:19 PM

Perelli P Zero Tires

Has anyone replaced their Perelli P Zero All season 235/50/18 tires with a different brand of tire. Only got a little over 30k miles from the Perellis. Any recommendations?
Old 7/4/13 | 11:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I can't say as to the 18s, but I replaced my 17" Zeroes with the Cooper Zeon RS3-As, and can't be happier.

I wasn't happy with the wear or the rain performance on the Pirellis after the second set, and they's expensive too, so I hunted around and found those. Cheaper (at the time) by a lot.

They're just a tad louder, and the sidewall has just a teensy more give, but they corner with confidence. In the rain, I cannot describe how GOOD they are. They look great on the car, IMO, much better looking tread than the Pirellis, and they have a more muscular stance on the sidewalls, I think.

And the wear? Well, I put them on at 75K, so that's 22K so far, and I'm not *even* looking to put new ones on yet. The Pirellis got about 30-35K each, and it looks like I can maybe get 40K, and possibly more, out of the Coopers if all goes well.

At least, that's what it seems... can't tell you for sure, haven't got there yet.

For what it's worth. There's a tire thread elsewhere that you might get more info on about others, but I'm a Cooper Zeon RS3-A convert and ain't gonna change without a fight... or bad experience.
Old 7/5/13 | 06:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine weren't even worn out and replaced them! I was not happy with them at all, except maybe for getting better highway mileage.
I bought new wheels, with 255/45/18 Nitto 555's on them. They fit fine, but I don't have a lot of miles on them yet for a full review of them. I also have Blizzak snow tires, 245/55/18 that are now on the stock rims for my winter setup.
Old 7/5/13 | 09:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

We just installed a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS (235/50ZR18) tires on my son's 2006 stang because he's moving to Kansas City, MO to begin med school. They ride nice and should be way better in the snow than the Pirelli PZeros, at least according to the reviews I have read.
Old 7/5/13 | 05:49 PM

Thanks for your tips. Still looking at what's available. Considering the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.
Old 7/5/13 | 06:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

I went with the 18" Nitto Motivo for my car. I had the 17" on my 2006 that they sent me for testing and evaluation when they first came out, I liked them so much I put them on the new car. Much quieter and smoother running on the highway, good rain grip too.
Old 7/5/13 | 06:27 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Originally Posted by houtex
I can't say as to the 18s, but I replaced my 17" Zeroes with the Cooper Zeon RS3-As, and can't be happier.

I wasn't happy with the wear or the rain performance on the Pirellis after the second set, and they's expensive too, so I hunted around and found those. Cheaper (at the time) by a lot.

They're just a tad louder, and the sidewall has just a teensy more give, but they corner with confidence. In the rain, I cannot describe how GOOD they are. They look great on the car, IMO, much better looking tread than the Pirellis, and they have a more muscular stance on the sidewalls, I think.

And the wear? Well, I put them on at 75K, so that's 22K so far, and I'm not *even* looking to put new ones on yet. The Pirellis got about 30-35K each, and it looks like I can maybe get 40K, and possibly more, out of the Coopers if all goes well.

At least, that's what it seems... can't tell you for sure, haven't got there yet.

For what it's worth. There's a tire thread elsewhere that you might get more info on about others, but I'm a Cooper Zeon RS3-A convert and ain't gonna change without a fight... or bad experience.
I'm going to try the Cooper Zeon RS3-A in a couple weeks. My factory all season 18 inch Pirellis went to crap at 15,000 miles and are dangerous. I now have around 19,000 miles on them and they are worn out.

I'm happy to hear the Coopers are still good after the miles you have on them. I only drive around 5-6 thousands miles a year, so the Coopers should be a good tire for me .
Old 7/5/13 | 09:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, they have some amazing UTOG number of 600 or something silly like that. Knowing that this number is against all the other Coopers, and not against any other brand... that is still a crazy high number... but it appears to be an actually good number too. Crazy.

I know I'm gushin' a little about them, but for me the rain performance is the only thing that ever matters to me in a tire, for DD purposes. And as I thought the BFG Touring TAs were awesome in the rain, these put those to shame.

And I simply cannot, unless I try *really* hard, to break them loose. They just wanna grip and go.

Love 'em.

/Ok, I'll stop now.
Old 7/6/13 | 06:46 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

The way i look at it, if a tire does great in the rain they should be outstanding in the dry . We're about 15 inches above normal for our rain fall so far this year. I don't drive my Mustang in the rain unless i have to because of the Pirellis being so dangerous. Just a few more weeks until i buy the Coppers, i can't wait
Old 7/12/13 | 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by COBRAJET
Has anyone replaced their Perelli P Zero All season 235/50/18 tires with a different brand of tire. Only got a little over 30k miles from the Perellis. Any recommendations?
I bagged the stock Pirelli’s at 8500 miles. Noisy and terrible traction…not much better than hockey pucks. I put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car. Right now I couldn’t be more satisfied. I got caught in a monsoon like rainstorm a few weeks ago and figured I was in deep doo doo. To my surprise (and relief) they held tight to the road. Somebody would have to prove to me there is a better street performance tire on the market. Like the Michelins, the Continentals are also race proven and would be a pretty reasonable choice if the Michelins are a little more than you wanted to pony up for. Just my .02
john
Old 7/13/13 | 11:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Also just bought some Continental ExtremeContact DWs (235/50ZR18) for my wife's 2011 V6 MCA. The stock Pirelli's only lasted 26K miles. I bought the lastest Conti's from Tirerack for just $728.68 shipped to our local Sears, where they were mounted & balanced for $11 a piece, which was their special pricing for tires from Tirerack. According to the Tirerack website the cost of install was going to cost more, then I was pleasantly surprised about the $11 pricing when I arrived at Sears. Just FYI