Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Noise/Vibration in Rear End?

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/12, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Noise/Vibration in Rear End?

Well, with almost 25000 miles of driving without problems, other then two TSB fixes, a noise started in the rear of the car. It has always been there, but very low key, until a week or so ago when it started getting louder, and even over powering the radio, at speed.

I took her in to the dealer this afternoon, and two techs took her out. They agreed something was wrong, but not sure what. One thought it was more of a vibration then a growl from the diff.

The Service Writer asked me to bring it back on Tuesday, he would have a rental car for me. They would take the diff down and look for problems and order parts for overnight delivery, so I could pick her up on Wednesday.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I did see threads on the 3.73 gears, but I have the 3.55 gears. No complaints about service, as usual.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/12/12 at 09:18 PM.
Old 9/13/12, 07:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2010 Mustang howls like an old 4WD truck... I cannot tell if it is just the Pirelli tires or if the rear end is just really that crappy. I noticed to a lesser degree on my 08 Mustang but this 2010 with 23,000 miles is just loud as hell! BTW none of my previous Fords that I bought new before 2008 ever had this problem.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/13/12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 9/13/12, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
My 2010 Mustang howls like an old 4WD truck... I cannot tell if it is just the Pirelli tires or if the rear end is just really that crappy. I noticed to a lesser degree on my 08 Mustang but this 2010 with 23,000 miles is just loud as hell! BTW none of my previous Fords that I bought new before 2008 ever had this problem.
Sounds like the same noise I am having. I ruled out the tires by driving on different road surfaces at different speeds. Tire noise changed, but the noise from the rear did not. I wasn't too worried about it, until it started to overpower my sound system. It is really annoying on a long trip. The techs both agreed something was wrong, but said they would have to take it apart and see what was going on.

I will post the results next week, after they finish. If parts are involved I will post the part numbers and names for you.
Old 9/13/12, 11:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Sounds like the same noise I am having. I ruled out the tires by driving on different road surfaces at different speeds. Tire noise changed, but the noise from the rear did not. I wasn't too worried about it, until it started to overpower my sound system. It is really annoying on a long trip. The techs both agreed something was wrong, but said they would have to take it apart and see what was going on.

I will post the results next week, after they finish. If parts are involved I will post the part numbers and names for you.
It will be interesting to see what results turn up. I have a V6. I just cannot believe how noisy my car is. It certainly is not something that goes away with the windows up either. I generally like to drive a lot with the windows down and no music on while listening to the exhaust note. As many RWD cars as I have owned I know this is not normal. It really makes what is a decent car sound junky and low rent!

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/13/12 at 11:13 PM.
Old 9/18/12, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

UPDATE: Well, she has been at the dealers all day. I received a call around two asking where the key for the locking wheel lugs was located, as they had the rear apart, and now wanted to remove the wheels to pull the axles. Does not sound good. Hopefully, better news tomorrow.
Old 9/18/12, 11:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

UPDATE: Well, she has been at the dealers all day. I received a call around two asking where the key for the locking wheel lugs was located, as they had the rear apart, and now wanted to remove the wheels to pull the axles. Does not sound good. Hopefully, better news tomorrow.
Thanks for the update. I'll stay tuned!
Old 9/20/12, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

UPDATE 2: I was just called by the dealer, and advised they found pitted bearings in the differential, and replaced those yesterday. The tech took the car out and was not happy as there was still a vibration in the drive train. They ordered a drive shaft and it is being overnighted and will be installed tomorrow.

More to follow..
Old 9/20/12, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Now this is getting interesting...
Old 9/21/12, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

UPDATE 3: The dealer called me at 4:30 and the car is finished. They installed the new drive shaft today, and the tech said the growl and vibration are gone. They extended my rental until tomorrow, so I will pick her up in the morning. I will post the list of parts as soon as I get back home tomorrow.

Service has been great, called me every day with an update and explained what had been done and what was planned.
Old 9/21/12, 11:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

UPDATE 3: The dealer called me at 4:30 and the car is finished. They installed the new drive shaft today, and the tech said the growl and vibration are gone. They extended my rental until tomorrow, so I will pick her up in the morning. I will post the list of parts as soon as I get back home tomorrow.

Service has been great, called me every day with an update and explained what had been done and what was planned.
Did they say why the axle was bad? Was it poorly balanced?

Well looks like I need to investigate this for my own car. It is the only thing that makes sense because it is a high velocity noise that can be heard throughout the cabin. The noise actually changes pitch when the rear axle goes up and down over dips in the road.

Thanks for sharing your remedy.
Old 9/22/12, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I would post the repair order, but I can't seem to get it to show. All I get is an X in a box, so here is what was done:

Remove and replace:

1 - 5R3Z-4220-AA (Bearing Assembly)
1 - B7A-4621-A (Bearing Assembly)
1 - B7A-4616-A (Cup)
1 - BR3Z-4676-A (Seal Assembly - oil)
1 - AR3Z-4C121-A (Kit - Spacer)
3 - XY-75W140-QL (Oil - Rear axl)
1 - XL-3 (Additive - oil)
1 - BR3Z-4R602-G (Shaft Assembly - DR)

I was told the following: Disassembled rear end and found pitting on outer bearing, rear, also on LH side bearing. Replaced bearings and seal to correct. Also found driveshaft causing part of problem, and replaced as well.

I understand the drive shaft was causing a vibration and the tech noted that on the initial test drive, and again after replacing the bearings.

THe car drives better then new and there is no herky-jerky or clunking in the drivetrain anymore. Very smooth and quiet now.

Thanks and kudos to McKie Ford, Rapid City, SD! Great service all around.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 9/22/12 at 11:10 AM.
Old 9/23/12, 11:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a V6 so the parts may differ but I am not sure. I just figured out what the sound is most like... An old washing machine in a spin cycle... And it certainly sounds like an out of balance sound. It makes this car sound so junky. I need to make an appointment to have it looked at. It's just so disappointing it's only 24,000 miles and it sounds like it has 245,000 miles on it like my 1985 Tbird had. Chinese junk parts must be involved..
Old 9/24/12, 08:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I have a V6 so the parts may differ but I am not sure. I just figured out what the sound is most like... An old washing machine in a spin cycle... And it certainly sounds like an out of balance sound. It makes this car sound so junky. I need to make an appointment to have it looked at. It's just so disappointing it's only 24,000 miles and it sounds like it has 245,000 miles on it like my 1985 Tbird had. Chinese junk parts must be involved..
The noise you describe sounds like bearings. The part numbers may differ from the V8 to the V6, but both cars have bearings in the differential and the drive shaft. The replacement of the drive shaft has resulted in my driving another car. Before it would jerk when shifting up or down and clunk when the clutch was depressed. I thought it was normal, now I know it is not. Get it checked out, at least they have a couple of places to start looking. Best of luck!
Old 9/26/12, 07:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the rear diff. was replaced in mine, I was told that the diff. and drive shaft are balanced together. If they're not done right, either part could cause a vibration.

I still have a faint vibration in mine, but there is no noise and the vibration has not gotten worse after 10k miles, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Old 10/5/12, 02:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I left my car at the dealership for a few days. The service advisor test drove the car with me and the noise was very apparent to him. He seems to think it was a rear wheel bearing but I bet when the technician starts looking he is going to find much bigger problems. Also interesting to note it some cupping of the tires. At 25,000 miles WTF??? I had my 2008 for four years with over 55,000 miles and had no such problems.

Last edited by watchdevil; 10/5/12 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10/5/12, 09:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
When the rear diff. was replaced in mine, I was told that the diff. and drive shaft are balanced together. If they're not done right, either part could cause a vibration.

I still have a faint vibration in mine, but there is no noise and the vibration has not gotten worse after 10k miles, so I'm not too concerned about it.
I waited to respond until I had put some miles on the car, after the repair. I took her out the other day and did 200 miles through the Black Hills, and Custer State Park, losts of curves and hills, which required shifting, with another 30 miles on the Intertstate at 75. No vibration whatsoever. It is better then new. Their is no clunk in the driveline , which the car had from day 1. When I engage the clutch the car moves now, no hesitation as in the past.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 10/5/12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: I hate spell check!
Old 10/5/12, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well it turns out the dealer cannot find anything wrong except the tires are cupped causing all the noise. Alignment was perfect and no leaks in the struts or shocks. Pirelli tires seem to be a common complaint because they are so noisy and it was recommended that I change the tires to a different brand.
Old 10/14/12, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1996 Ford Mustang convertible and it has a noise coming from the rear. Not sure if it's the differential or a wheel bearing. Anyone know how to remove a rear axle?