Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Which noise is normal? Just hit 1k on 2013.

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/12, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which noise is normal? Just hit 1k on 2013.

I'm the type that leave the ac off and windows down even in 100F degree weather. Today was probably the 2nd time I drove with my windows up and AC on eversince I got my car few weeks ago. I also hit 1k today. Anyhow, I noticed today that my AC is somewhat noisy. It slightly has a squeal/hollow sound to it with my AC at lowest setting, but what really worried me is when I was driving through the shopping mall in 2nd gear very slowly around 1500 rpm. Everytime I hit the gas it almost sounded like engine braking if that make sense. I don't know if hissing make a better description but if you guys ever driven a wrx in first gear and you let off the pedal at around 3k rpm it would sound just like that but I was doing the complete opposite, stepping on the pedal and not letting off the pedal. So I been thinking about this all day today and thought maybe my AC compressor is bad and been trying to search throughout the day to see if I can find any similar threads but no luck.

Here's another interesting thing I noticed. I just got back from dropping my co worker off at the mall and on my way back I decided to roll all of my windows up, radio off, and try to repeat what I experienced but with AC off this time and sure enough there's that same engine braking or hissing noise when driving very slow around 1500 rpm in 2nd or 1st gear, but it was not as bad and pronounced as earlier with AC on. Above 2k rpm everything seem to sound fine

Here's another noise I find interesting. Everytime I step on the gas under 2k rpm I hear a very faint clunk from the rear. Now I did do a search and found tons of topic on this and most people seem to have found this to be normal with mustang drivetrain. Maybe it is but still interesting.

I didn't realize that my new mustang made this much noise. I always drive with my windows down so I don't know if all this noise been there all along since day one, but I do find some noises very interesting and not normal. I don't expect for a mustang GT to be quiet like a luxury car but I am not too sure about some of the noises explained.

Any thoughts?
Old 8/24/12, 07:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the car has a pretty beefy driveline and that might be some of the sound.