Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

New MT82 trans, same old problems, but old fix worked?

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/12, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
New MT82 trans, same old problems, but old fix worked?

I wanted to just throw this out there and see what you guys think about it.

I bought a 2012 Mustang at the end of September. Build date is September 9, 2011. According to Ford TSB, the "fixes" for the oft complained about MT82 transmission have already been applied to mine at the factory.

But lo and behold, as soon as the weather started turning cold I began having problems with 1st and 2nd gear shifts. Occassional gear grinding, excessive force required to shift, the well known problem that the earlier fix was to replace the tranny fluid with Dual Clutch fluid.

Again, in theory according to the manufacture date this has already been done to my transmission.

However, after a HUGE nightmare of a visit to the dealership service department that is a story for another time, I convinced them to go ahead and try replacing the fluid.

And it fixed the problem.

I am happy that the problem seems to be fixed, but it does make me wonder why I had the problem in the first place. If the same Dual Clutch fluid had been installed at the factory, then why did replacing it with identical fluid correct the problem?
Old 1/13/12, 06:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
I bought a 2012 Mustang at the end of September. Build date is September 9, 2011. According to Ford TSB, the "fixes" for the oft complained about MT82 transmission have already been applied to mine at the factory.
But lo and behold, as soon as the weather started turning cold I began having problems with 1st and 2nd gear shifts. Occassional gear grinding, excessive force required to shift, the well known problem that the earlier fix was to replace the tranny fluid with Dual Clutch fluid.
I convinced them to go ahead and try replacing the fluid.
And it fixed the problem.
Hey Moustang,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I’m happy to learn this fixed your concern. However, I’d like to get this documented for you in our systems. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can do so.

Deysha
Old 1/13/12, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this Dual Clutch Fluid?
Old 1/13/12, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ordie
What is this Dual Clutch Fluid?
That is correct. Swapped out the fluid with new Dual Clutch fluid and the problems instantly disappeared. Even my wife noticed the change, and she's only driven my car twice before.

Deysha, I'll get that info to you in just a bit. I need to get the VIN off my car and I'm working (sort of) right now.
Old 1/13/12, 09:52 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Deysha, I'll get that info to you in just a bit. I need to get the VIN off my car and I'm working (sort of) right now.
I got your PM, Moustang. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha
Old 1/13/12, 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks, I honestly wasn't expecting to hear anything more about it unless the transmission fails for some reason.

But I do find the whole sitution quite strange. If the fix was applied at the factory as claimed then why did reapplying the fix correct my problem, and if the fix wasn't applied at the factory then why does the latest Ford TSB say it was?
Old 1/13/12, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
The original fluid was used to fix a noise issue. Perhaps they still use the original fluid, unless the customer complains of shifting issues? Are you in a hot or cold area?
Old 1/14/12, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
The original fluid was used to fix a noise issue. Perhaps they still use the original fluid, unless the customer complains of shifting issues? Are you in a hot or cold area?
In theory they are using the dual clutch fluid at the factory now. But if that were the case with mine then I shouldn't have had the problem to begin with.

I'm definitely in a hot area, being down in the Dallas, Texas area, which is why it took until December before I started having a problem with it. It drove fine in the warm weather, but the first day we had with 27 degree temps it was grinding gears in 1st and 2nd.
Old 1/14/12, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
In theory they are using the dual clutch fluid at the factory now. But if that were the case with mine then I shouldn't have had the problem to begin with.

I'm definitely in a hot area, being down in the Dallas, Texas area, which is why it took until December before I started having a problem with it. It drove fine in the warm weather, but the first day we had with 27 degree temps it was grinding gears in 1st and 2nd.
Does the TSB specifically state that they're using the dual clutch fluid now? I don't recall it saying that. But I don't read over it that well, since it doesn't apply to me. I'm just saying that it would make sense for them to keep using the original fluid (since it fixes a noise issue), unless the customer complains. Then the customer can decide whether they want more noise or harder shifts.