Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Loud thud when going over speed bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/13, 02:39 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by viiStang
Will do! Looking to bring it into the dealer tomorrow morning. As always thanks for your help Deysha!
You’re very welcome, viiStang. Make sure you send me a PM with your info.

Deysha
Old 5/2/13, 07:17 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry clunk, groan, noise over bumps slowly

Hi TMS Members. I have lurked here for over a year and thought it was time for me to join the forum, as I seem to have the same issues that OP described. I own a 2013 Mustang GT with 9,000 miles on it. I purchased it last April 2012. But I am ready to sell this car as I can't stand the noise I hear over slow bumps. I installed Steeda Ultra-Lite lowering springs and a new panhard bar yet the noise STILL HAPPENS! I also paid money to have the car alignment done, so any recall or TSB work by ford I do not want to pay for alignment again. I am so exhausted of this issue that I was going to reinstall the OEM springs and panhard bar, and sell this car, but the noise happens regardless. I have a clunking/groaning noise going slowly over small bumps, in or out of my driveway, or entering or exiting roadways slowly turning or straight. The noise is from the rear AND front it seems. It mostly happens when it's hot outside and/or when I've driven the car for some time, or when I have two or more passengers in the car. I also have the rear axle release valve oil all over my rear axle and the pumpkin in the rear! This car IS NOT DRIVEN HARD OR TRACKED! I sent my info and local dealer info to Deysha. Waiting a reply.
Old 5/2/13, 08:11 AM
Bullitt Member

A couple of thoughts...

Some years ago, I bought a new '07 GT Premium. With just a few hundred miles on it, I drove across railroad tracks for the first time. The frontend noise sounded exactly like an excessively worn balljoint rattle. Shallow potholes would cause a solid and significant thump as well. No noticeable noises came from the rear suspension. A TSB had been issued and the upper strut mounts were found to be at fault. Redesigned mounts (8R3Z-18183-B) were installed and the noise went away. Is it possible that this problem is haunting us again?

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/07-18-02.pdf

Later on, I installed a pair of Flowmaster American Thunders. Over those same railroad tracks, the right muffler would make contact with the frame, as the muffler's mounting only allowed for a 1/4" gap or less.
Old 5/2/13, 09:13 AM
V6 Member

I checked the torque specs on my upper strut mounts. They're fine. Nice and tight to specs. Also checked the springs placement, and the spring mounts and plastic sleeves. So, I am not sure if any of that is defective or not. I just dropped off my car at Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel, Fl. I spoke to an SA and the manager about my situation. I told them that I contacted Ford Customer Affairs as well. The SA told me that they have replaced many of these mustang control arms (CAs). If that is the issue with my car, it is covered under the TSB and they would replace both front CA's and perform an alignment on the car. I told them I hear the noises going slow, and mostly over bumps, driveways or the like when the car is hot or loaded with passengers. Since the dealer is only 2 miles from my house, I did not have time to let the undercarriage heat up for some time before dropping it off at the dealer. So as expected no noise on my way over or pulling into their driveway slow. I made certain to tell them these details as well as that my steering is perfectly straight and I expect that to be the same if they have to replace anything. It's a wait and see now, as their service driver just dropped me off at home. I'll post again when I hear something.
Old 5/2/13, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Pony-Ride
I checked the torque specs on my upper strut mounts. They're fine. Nice and tight to specs. Also checked the springs placement, and the spring mounts and plastic sleeves. So, I am not sure if any of that is defective or not. I just dropped off my car at Parks Ford in Wesley Chapel, Fl. I spoke to an SA and the manager about my situation. I told them that I contacted Ford Customer Affairs as well. The SA told me that they have replaced many of these mustang control arms (CAs). If that is the issue with my car, it is covered under the TSB and they would replace both front CA's and perform an alignment on the car. I told them I hear the noises going slow, and mostly over bumps, driveways or the like when the car is hot or loaded with passengers. Since the dealer is only 2 miles from my house, I did not have time to let the undercarriage heat up for some time before dropping it off at the dealer. So as expected no noise on my way over or pulling into their driveway slow. I made certain to tell them these details as well as that my steering is perfectly straight and I expect that to be the same if they have to replace anything. It's a wait and see now, as their service driver just dropped me off at home. I'll post again when I hear something.
I'm glad they narrowed it down to the control arms for you. When my '14 GT Track Pack arrives, I'll be on the lookout for any suspension problems, among other things.

I'm glad you mentioned steering wheel alignment. That has been a pet peeve of mine for years. Techs don't ensure the steering wheel and tires are aligned. Nothing worse than driving in a straight line and the wheel is cocked to one side. Years ago, as part of the alignment equipment, techs had a metal stand with a saddle that was placed in the driver's seat and jacked up to hold the steering wheel straight. When frontend adjustments were made, they were made according to the steering wheel position. I don't think alignment equipment even offers those stands any longer. I've seen techs turning wheels first one way, then the other, during alignments. That never used to happen in the old days.
Old 5/2/13, 01:36 PM
V6 Member

SA called me to say they want to replace both front control arms (CAs) under TSB and do alignment. Before they started the work, I stopped by the dealer and took a test drive with the mechanic who is suppose to install the new CAs tomorrow. We both heard the noises that I heard, but he could not really admit if replacing the control arms would do the trick. Frankly, at that point I decided I did not want them replacing anything now. He also said that lowering springs do impact the center of gravity, which at slow speeds over bumps may cause the noticeable groaning and creaking. Since I have the Brembo package, my OEM suspension may be s somewhat different and tighter (albeit minimal) from the base GT. Therefore, I asked him to simply check and tighten all lower components such as front and rear sway bars, control arms etc... He then checked everything, but everything was tight as it should. He even re-torqued my panhard bar for me. I then asked for a VERY seasoned mechanic, who has replaced many CAs to take a ride with me. The dealer provided a tech named "Vinnie". Vinnie road with me, and at first we did not hear anything. Then we heard the noises again. He initially said it did not sound like the CA TSB noise issue, but then changed his mind as we drove some more and felt it could be the CA bushings creaking. He did say that my Steeda Springs are lined p correctly and he does not feel it has anything to do with the springs. So, as it turned out, I will be having the CAs done on both sides tomorrow and the alignment. Vinnie did say that he's had to even replace the new TSB CAs several times in the same customer's car. That information was not something I wanted to know. However, he did feel at least it's a start to find the issue, and at the very least I'd have the newer CAs on the fronts. I asked him why they do not put the TSB CAs in all newer 2011-2104 Mustangs. Unfortunately, he did not know why Ford still chooses to use the same defective ones. I pray it works out!

Last edited by Pony-Ride; 5/2/13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is O/T; I bring it up to suggest that the intuitive answers to some problems might not be that close to the right solution.

A few days ago I took off the (Brembo 24mm) rear stabilizer bar and replaced it with a 26mm H&R item. Substituted Pro-thane bushings (those red ones) in the axle-end brackets. In spite of careful, maybe even excessive, greasing of the surfaces that slide on each other, there is an occasional grunt or squeak from the rear area, usually when crossing a gutter or dip at an angle.

There was a similar effect after the same kind of change on an earlier car. After mucho-grease applications and line-up shifts, that one was eventually resolved when I removed the paint from the bar/bushing interfaces. Whether it was because of a slight increase in clearance or a characteristic difference between painted and bare metal, the noises left and never returned.

I reckon I'll clean the H&R bar down to bare metal and see if that cures the present problem. It will be a bit more difficult this time because the H&R thing is powder-coated.
Old 5/3/13, 05:42 AM
GT Member

Had similar issues on my 12 for the longest time. LCAs were replaced four times for my front suspension noise and my rear axle got replaced for a high pitch squeal coming from the rear which started over bumps or unlevel road and turned into all the time in low gear, on any surface. Check your axle flanges and make sure they aren't bent.. Otherwise, good luck with Ford!
Old 5/3/13, 06:06 AM
V6 Member

thanks. New front LCA's going on the car today. will update later on.
Old 5/3/13, 08:54 AM

Hi TMS Members. I have lurked here for over a year and thought it was time for me to join the forum, as I seem to have the same issues that OP described. I own a 2013 Mustang GT with 9,000 miles on it. I purchased it last April 2012. But I am ready to sell this car as I can't stand the noise I hear over slow bumps. I installed Steeda Ultra-Lite lowering springs and a new panhard bar yet the noise STILL HAPPENS! I also paid money to have the car alignment done, so any recall or TSB work by ford I do not want to pay for alignment again. I am so exhausted of this issue that I was going to reinstall the OEM springs and panhard bar, and sell this car, but the noise happens regardless. I have a clunking/groaning noise going slowly over small bumps, in or out of my driveway, or entering or exiting roadways slowly turning or straight. The noise is from the rear AND front it seems.
I received your PM, Pony-Ride. I’ll get back to you in a little while.

Deysha
Old 5/3/13, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

Thanks....it's been at the dealer since 7:30 this morning. please contact them to name sure everything is being done as it should be. Thanks.
Old 5/3/13, 03:27 PM
V6 Member

I picked up my car. They replaced the control arms and performed alignment. Because it's raining very hard outside, I can not confirm if this work fixed it. Will test it tomorrow.
Old 5/6/13, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

so far so good. no noise.
Old 5/10/13, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

So after a week since the 2 front lower control arms (LCAs) were installed, the car is now making some noise again (weather has really warmed up). It's gotta be the LCA bushings creaking when the rubber/poly bushing heats up. I do not plan on taking it back to the dealer. I think the Ford techs really just replaced the LCAs with the same model number LCAs. I have no choice but to live with the noise or get rid of the car. Disappointed, but not upset at the dealer that serviced the car. It's a poor design of parts that Ford uses.
Old 5/12/13, 06:43 AM
V6 Member

I thought the noise was fixed when they replaced the LCAs, but the weather this week was unseasonably cool and I did not drive much. Well all, the groaning/clunking noise is back. Nothing Ford did to fix the noise by replacing control arms worked! I really believe the LCA work they did was pointless especially since the car is a MY2013. To top it off, the Ford dealer's senior technician tells me he's replaced multiple sets of the same LCAs on the same customer's car and for me to probably expect that to happen to my car. This is not very comforting or encouraging. I told the dealer and mechanics the clunking noise acts up when the car is warmed up and the under carriage is hot. When the technicians drove in the car with me they heard it too. Both said the noise is the LCA's, but they weren't 100% sure either. The first technician said everything was tight (Springs, shocks, shock mounts all checked and torqued to specs). Sway bars and other components all ok. Bottom line, after the car sits for a good length of time, or is first driven in the morning, there is no noise. As the day warms up, or when the car is driven any length of time, driving slow over any bump produces the MOST ANNOYING GROWNING/CLUNKING NOISE (and is even more pronounced with more than one passenger in the car). I'm completely at a loss and considering trading it in for another non-Ford vehicle.
Old 5/12/13, 07:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange. Well if they did the same work to the lcas that they did to my car , it wasn't a compete waste. They have better Lca's that they put on. Admitting the ones from factory suck. So hope for that in the least. Back to the current, did you mention it only happens when it's warmed up? That should point anyone away from your LCAs
Old 5/12/13, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Strange. Well if they did the same work to the lcas that they did to my car , it wasn't a compete waste. They have better Lca's that they put on. Admitting the ones from factory suck. So hope for that in the least. Back to the current, did you mention it only happens when it's warmed up? That should point anyone away from your LCAs
oh yes, before they did any work I MADE IT VERY CLEAR to them that it ONLY HAPPENS in warm conditions. I repeatedly told the SA, Ford Customer Service, GM, and both technicians... The ONLY response from the Sr technician was that both LCAs needed to be replaced. At this point I do not believe the LCAs needed replacing. The mere fact that the tech told me he's replaced multiple LCAs on the same customer's car leads me to very suspicious that anyone of those at the dealership has really any clue what the issue is. After reading dozens and dozens of other forums on the web (where owners indicate the same issue once the car is warmed up or in hot climates) I suspect most of them also have the same issue and have no success from Ford fixing it. Ford Quality is certainly NOT job #1.
Old 5/16/13, 12:08 PM

oh yes, before they did any work I MADE IT VERY CLEAR to them that it ONLY HAPPENS in warm conditions. I repeatedly told the SA, Ford Customer Service, GM, and both technicians... The ONLY response from the Sr technician was that both LCAs needed to be replaced. At this point I do not believe the LCAs needed replacing. The mere fact that the tech told me he's replaced multiple LCAs on the same customer's car leads me to very suspicious that anyone of those at the dealership has really any clue what the issue is. After reading dozens and dozens of other forums on the web (where owners indicate the same issue once the car is warmed up or in hot climates) I suspect most of them also have the same issue and have no success from Ford fixing it. Ford Quality is certainly NOT job #1.
I understand your frustration, but you should get your case reopened, Pony-Ride. This way we can ensure this is addressed.

Deysha
Old 5/16/13, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
I understand your frustration, but you should get your case reopened, Pony-Ride. This way we can ensure this is addressed.

Deysha
am done and spent at this point.